• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've been trying to lose weight for months with little success

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get your diet under control - it is the single most important thing for weight loss. Best way is to use a site like fitday.com and do an honest accounting of everything you eat every day. If you run a 500Kcal deficit relative to your maintenance calorie level (you need to google for this and calculate it for yourself), the weight will come off. Any physical activity is a bonus on top of this.

kontai69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GITU
I don't eat junk food...

What do you consider "junk food"? If you are avoiding candy bars and donuts but are routinely eating double bacon cheeseburgers and pepperoni pizzas, then you need to make some drastic changes to your diet.

GITU

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kontai69
What do you consider "junk food"? If you are avoiding candy bars and donuts but are routinely eating double bacon cheeseburgers and pepperoni pizzas, then you need to make some drastic changes to your diet.

I consider that junk food.

If I have pizza, I have one slice.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at 280, even a slice is anathema.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Cutting out alcohol is the fastest way to lose weight (for me, at least). Don't drink any liquids other than water, black coffee, or unsweetened tea for a while, then add 2-3 glasses of wine a week. Also avoid fake sweeteners, they just make you crave real sugar. Being fat makes you hungry, so you have to shock the system to get out of that cycle. Exercising too much also makes you hungry, better to ease up on exercise and focus on calories.

GITU

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
Cutting out alcohol is the fastest way to lose weight (for me, at least). Don't drink any liquids other than water, black coffee, or unsweetened tea for a while, then add 2-3 glasses of wine a week. Also avoid fake sweeteners, they just make you crave real sugar.

Being fat makes you hungry, so you have to shock the system to get out of that cycle. Exercising too much also makes you hungry, better to ease up on exercise and focus on calories.

Yes, I've noticed after exercise I am very hungry. Is there anything to do to help this?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
most marsupialed advice i've ever heard. work out and eat right after-this IS the time to ingest simple carbs.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You eat too much and exercise too little. More activity and less food.

Cut out a few meals.

sleekblackroadster

Reaction score
i do the recovery drink thing.

after a hard workout i down some endurox r4 and it usually clears up any hunger feelings and gives you the carbs and protein you need. a full serviing is over 200 calories tho so not really low cal you may have to adjust diet if you are counting calories. its best for those who do an hour or more of hard work exercise. you can always do a half-serving too if needed.

it helps me keep my diet clean since i don't end up overeating post workout. but yeah starving yourself is not the right thing to do you need to feed your body within an hour or less after a hard exercise!

DuMont

Reaction score
I have been listening to Kunk and Noir's advice, and also keeping a food and exercise log. What I notice is that if you guess your calories, and just try to "eat lighter"...you will fail.

Start a spreadsheet and write down everything you eat, and break it into carbs, fat, protein and total calories. Check out CalorieKing website. It takes longer, but it is the only way to KNOW, not HOPE, what you are really eating.

Eating .25 g per bodyweight of carbs, or between 30 -50 g per day, will put you on the right track. No cheating. Make it an experiment. If you have psychological reasons for overeating, they will surface, which will give you an opportunity to deal with that as well.

I found this very motivating.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._beast_evolves

flambard

Reaction score
Hey, You can lose that weight. It takes discipline on several fronts. Diet, weights and so forth.

My two cents: invest in some good running shoes. Make sure they fit for you. Then start a running routine with a watch or time counter. Of course, you should make sure to run slowly and softly at first. And you may not go far nor long. No problem. Do it several times in a row with a days break in between attempts. Then possibly do two days in a row, once in a while. Before long you will WANT to increase the distance and/or the time on the road because you will be ABLE to. Work up to an hour out on the road or treadmill. (I hate threadmills myself. I prefer the city streets!) Remember - speed is not the issue, tho you shouldn't just walk. Before long each time on the runs your workout clothes will be sopping wet.

Before long, you will be a s-l-e-e-k tiger, and searching for new clothes to wear.
tounge.gif

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some people decry it but I find that intermittent fasting has had great effects on me for weight loss. If you want a no-brain way to do it, just don't eat anything before 12 noon or after 8 PM. In that eight-hour window, eat normally.

That advice oversimplified it, so google intermittent fasting for a better idea.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the OP:

Don't reply to this thread for a week.

Go off and make a detailed tally of your daily calories with fitday.com. Be honest!! It might be easiest to eat at home during this week as it is often much easier to estimate your calories when you make things yourself.

Come back after a week and tell us how many calories per day you are eating. I wouldn't be surprised if you are eating way more than you should.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads