• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Thin-Red Line backorder pre-order... We're idiots

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne

-on the other hand, speculation regarding the maker has been based solely on the nail pattern. I don't think anyone managed to identify inside markings (last #, etc) as belonging to Sargent. Could it be that they're made by another English maker? Cheaney or Barker perhaps? Hell, I haven't entirely dismissed the possibility that these could be Loake or Grenson...I'll admit that Clark's side-by- side shots with his Sargent Blenheim do make a convincing argument.

They're 100% Alfred Sargent - I've directly compared my brogues with my existing AS Premier Monks

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put in a preorder and am awaiting TRL's confirmation of final prices. If the willow calf half brogues end up about 115GBP, then it's a pretty good deal, judging by the suede half monks I received.

Maybe this will put to rest rumors of Sargent's imminent demise...2 things though:

-iirc, TRL didn't want to confirm the maker. Perhaps additional prodding would give us a definite answer since preorders will require a deposit;

-on the other hand, speculation regarding the maker has been based solely on the nail pattern. I don't think anyone managed to identify inside markings (last #, etc) as belonging to Sargent. Could it be that they're made by another English maker? Cheaney or Barker perhaps? Hell, I haven't entirely dismissed the possibility that these could be Loake or Grenson...I'll admit that Clark's side-by- side shots with his Sargent Blenheim do make a convincing argument.

Go through the thread again. All the pairs that are offered from TRL are right out of the AS catalogue.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with DrCool they are Sargents thro an thro check the Pediwear site for confirmation .... same shoes just virtually half price !! Too good to be true for very good shoes ......

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
qft

Originally Posted by lee_44106
Look guys,

125 x 1.48= $185.

that's VERY good for a pair of English made shoes. Who the hell (I certainly don't) give a sh*t about whether Sargent or Barker or Cheney made them?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look guys,

125 x 1.48= $185.

that's VERY good for a pair of English made shoes. Who the hell (I certainly don't) give a sh*t about whether Sargent or Barker or Cheney made them?

Whoa, eaaaaaaaaaaasy there. I actually do give a **** about who made them and maybe you should too. 115-125GBP is great if they are indeed Sargent (I'm very pleased with the quality of my Sargent-made BB Peal) but I have some Loake (1880 line) that retail for about that price that are not nearly as nice in terms of quality of leather. Same with Barker (125th anniv.). Calfskin on both is noticeably stiffer/not nearly as supple. I'd be in no hurry to acquire more shoes made by either of those brands, regardless of price...

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa, eaaaaaaaaaaasy there. I actually do give a **** about who made them and maybe you should too. 115-125GBP is great if they are indeed Sargent (I'm very pleased with the quality of my Sargent-made BB Peal) but I have some Loake (1880 line) that retail for about that price that are not nearly as nice in terms of quality of leather. Same with Barker (125th anniv.). Calfskin on both is noticeably stiffer/not nearly as supple. I'd be in no hurry to acquire more shoes made by either of those brands, regardless of price...

They are AS. The loafers I received already, are on par with my other AS.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are my Peal & Co. shoes made by Sargent for those of you who are considering the similar TRL shoe. The only difference I see is the hidden channel sole & the toe medallion and lining color. Possibly the last.

Peals004.jpg

PealCo2014.jpg

PealCo3011.jpg

Peals006.jpg

pinchot

Reaction score
Thanks for making this a separate thread.... I would have missed it otherwise. I'm in for the half brogue willow calf and half brogue snuff suede. What does everyone think the odds of a production run (or a few) actually happening are?

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the sizing for these shoes?

I'm a UK 8E in the C&J 348 last
UK 7.5E in the C&J 341 last
UK 7 in PS Starrs

edit: i'm planning on getting the brown monkstraps if that makes any difference.

dappledown

Reaction score
These shoes are awesome quality. got myself a loafer in black calf. really nice leather on these. The last is also very sleek. i got them in a size 9UK...snug widthwise but with some room lengthwise. How do these compare to the half brogues? should i get the preorder brogues in the same size or should i get half a size down? Any one with the same shoe choices please chime in!
smile.gif

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look guys,

125 x 1.48= $185.

it would most likely even be less, without vat!

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Here are my Peal & Co. shoes made by Sargent for those of you who are considering the similar TRL shoe. The only difference I see is the hidden channel sole & the toe medallion and lining color. Possibly the last.
Peals006.jpg

Originally Posted by bigbris1
Ahh, they are different:

35jfjlz.jpg

w8rzg8.jpg

You forgot to mention that there's gimping (I believe that's the term) along the edges on your Sargent made BB Peal and no gimping on the TRL. Also, on the BB Peal, the two rows of stitching on either side of the punching along the ankle curve (near the top eyelets) and form a pronounced arc as they go down the throat, exactly like on similar Sargent branded shoes (fwiw, I think Sanders also does this). On the TRL half brogues, those two rows of stitching appear to break at a much harder angle. Just sayin.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm down for like 4 or 5 pairs. Already got the monk, great suede and construction.

This is a great deal for a noob, like myself. Already have the monks in dark brown suede.

Going to get

Chukka in tobacco suede
Penny in brown suede
Half brogue in light brown suede

Still thinking about more.

For those people starting a shoe rotation, this is a great deal. I've heard it often remarked that cheaper suede is acceptable, as thier just isn't as much difference between mid and high then compared to leather.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You forgot to mention that there's gimping (I believe that's the term) along the edges on your Sargent made BB Peal and no gimping on the TRL. Also, on the BB Peal, the two rows of stitching on either side of the punching along the ankle curve (near the top eyelets) and form a pronounced arc as they go down the throat, exactly like on similar Sargent branded shoes (fwiw, I think Sanders also does this). On the TRL half brogues, those two rows of stitching appear to break at a much harder angle. Just sayin.

Guy's seriously these are a great shoe for a great price. If you don't want any of it, just walk away
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads