• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must replace my Florence Knoll sofa

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't know why people buy shoddy Ikea things when good design can be had in vintage.

LK, what's your opinion on leather or fabric upholstery for the Knoll sofa? Assume zebra skin or anything with hair is not an option.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
LK, what's your opinion on leather or fabric upholstery for the Knoll sofa?
Oh phoque.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
LK, what's your opinion on leather or fabric upholstery for the Knoll sofa? Assume zebra skin or anything with hair is not an option.
I've always been fond of that mustard yellow tweed. I think a variety of tweedish materials would look nice including green. They coordinate well without blending in such as a white does.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Oh phoque.

LK can be inspiring. We're at our wit's end now. The problem is that Knoll fabrics often look terrible or come in bad colors.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've always been fond of that mustard yellow tweed. I think a variety of tweedish materials would look nice including green. They coordinate well without blending in such as a white does.

We thought of mustardy yellow fabric; but Knoll doesn't seem to have anything of the sort.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about having a non-Knoll fabric put on your sofa? This would open quasi infinite choice.

Have you already decided on the Knoll? If not:

86088_1.jpg

Design: Flemming Busk, Stephan Herzog. I assume its pretty hard to get in the US but at a price point of roughly 1800,00 € (with the basic, not-so-cool 10% acrylic fabric on; but they also have great tweeds, flannels, loden and leather) one could live with the shipping cost I guess.

I am actually sitting on this one right now. It's sturdy, very high quality and reduced to the very basic of construction. More sofa, less tech.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ We went ahead and ordered it in ivory Knoll Cato fabric. There are some interesting tweed-like fabrics from Holland & Sherry, bit it would have been a pain to get a sample over to Knoll and wait for them to test it. We figure that we can always re-upholster in the future.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
After we spent countless hours and visits hunting for a fancy sofa, I came home one day to find that my wife gave up and ordered a sofa from Ikea.
More or less like this:
74535_PE182388_S4.jpg

In retrospect, once I realized that I didn't really care, I realized that I didn't really care. I did point out that the SF design crowd will no longer talk to us, but she refused to return it.

Ikea has some terrific designers working for them (honest). Some of the lines of their stuff are really clean. I'm usually just bugged by the cheap way they assemble, but if they sold the perfect demos you can see in some of their catalogues there's a few things I would have kopped.

Full disclosure: I have two Ikea paper lamps that I sometimes use to add some ambient lights when hanging out with friends. I also like their wooden hangers.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ We use Ikea bookshelves and floor lamps.

summej2

Reaction score
I've always been fond of that mustard yellow tweed. I think a variety of tweedish materials would look nice including green.

My brother has one in a green tweed that looks excellent. I suppose not as durable as leather, though his is the original upholstery from years and years ago.

...hope the white from Knoll works out.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this as I'm sofa hunting.

Foo, how did things turn out with your Knoll?

Is Knoll's quality really that shoddy? Kinda baffling, considering the price point.

Anyone have thoughts on fabric vs leather?

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads