1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Must replace my Florence Knoll sofa

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh phoque.

LK can be inspiring. We're at our wit's end now. The problem is that Knoll fabrics often look terrible or come in bad colors.

2. mafoofan

I've always been fond of that mustard yellow tweed. I think a variety of tweedish materials would look nice including green. They coordinate well without blending in such as a white does.

We thought of mustardy yellow fabric; but Knoll doesn't seem to have anything of the sort.

3. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

What about having a non-Knoll fabric put on your sofa? This would open quasi infinite choice.

Have you already decided on the Knoll? If not:

[​IMG]

Design: Flemming Busk, Stephan Herzog. I assume its pretty hard to get in the US but at a price point of roughly 1800,00 € (with the basic, not-so-cool 10% acrylic fabric on; but they also have great tweeds, flannels, loden and leather) one could live with the shipping cost I guess.

I am actually sitting on this one right now. It's sturdy, very high quality and reduced to the very basic of construction. More sofa, less tech.

4. mafoofan

^^^ We went ahead and ordered it in ivory Knoll Cato fabric. There are some interesting tweed-like fabrics from Holland & Sherry, bit it would have been a pain to get a sample over to Knoll and wait for them to test it. We figure that we can always re-upholster in the future.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

After we spent countless hours and visits hunting for a fancy sofa, I came home one day to find that my wife gave up and ordered a sofa from Ikea.
    More or less like this:
    [​IMG]
    In retrospect, once I realized that I didn't really care, I realized that I didn't really care. I did point out that the SF design crowd will no longer talk to us, but she refused to return it.

Ikea has some terrific designers working for them (honest). Some of the lines of their stuff are really clean. I'm usually just bugged by the cheap way they assemble, but if they sold the perfect demos you can see in some of their catalogues there's a few things I would have kopped.

Full disclosure: I have two Ikea paper lamps that I sometimes use to add some ambient lights when hanging out with friends. I also like their wooden hangers.

6. mafoofan

^^^ We use Ikea bookshelves and floor lamps.

7. summej2

summej2 Senior member

I've always been fond of that mustard yellow tweed. I think a variety of tweedish materials would look nice including green.

My brother has one in a green tweed that looks excellent. I suppose not as durable as leather, though his is the original upholstery from years and years ago.

...hope the white from Knoll works out.

8. Sterling Gillette

Sterling Gillette Senior member

Good luck on the new fabric choice!

BTW: Ikea is hard to beat as a supplier of wooden shirt hangers.

9. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

This is new from B&B

AC Lounge
    [​IMG]

10. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Bumping this as I'm sofa hunting.

Foo, how did things turn out with your Knoll?

Is Knoll's quality really that shoddy? Kinda baffling, considering the price point.

Anyone have thoughts on fabric vs leather?

Thanks.

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

my wife's old office had a Florence Knoll sofa. They called it the uncomfortable grey thing.

After 20 minutes, I knew why.

12. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I would be shocked if that prior comment about Knoll quality came from real life experience.

And I agree with gome, they are not the most comfortable sofas. There are about 25 sofas that I would chose for a home before the florence knoll. They're more suitable to a situation where you always want them to look neat and dont want your guests to stay very long.

Most of what Florence Knoll designed were originally specified for office settings since that was the majority of their business at the time. A great deal of modern design that are actually comfortable to sit in were designed for residential.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  13. Sobande

Sobande New Member

Where do I buy this sofa you posted. Thanks.