Must replace my Florence Knoll sofa

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jan 12, 2009.

1. hypersonic

hypersonic Senior member

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

So, an update: the Knoll people are warning us that the above fabric, with a Martindale abrasion rating of 27,500, may not hold up to our expectations (whatever they assume those are) under regular residential use.

Assuming the sofa is to be our main, daily-use seating surface, how well can we expect it to hold up with that kind of rating? From what I can find on the internet, it seems that 27,500 makes it a pretty sturdy residential fabric, yet below the level of durability suitable for commercial use.

3. chrome_dout

chrome_dout Senior member

I've never seen any of these pieces at Pottery Barn or Ethan Allen. [​IMG]

4. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

why does anyone buy anything but leather? fabric is the playground of 1,000,000 farts.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

So, an update: the Knoll people are warning us that the above fabric, with a Martindale abrasion rating of 27,500, may not hold up to our expectations (whatever they assume those are) under regular residential use.

Assuming the sofa is to be our main, daily-use seating surface, how well can we expect it to hold up with that kind of rating? From what I can find on the internet, it seems that 27,500 makes it a pretty sturdy residential fabric, yet below the level of durability suitable for commercial use.

Go with Hallingdal. It has a 100k martindale and is as good looking as any fabric.

6. mafoofan

Go with Hallingdal. It has a 100k martindale and is as good looking as any fabric.

It doesn't seem to be on Knoll's website--is it possible it's been discontinued?

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

It's sold through Maharam, made by Kvadrat. It is probably the fabric which was used back in the 50s and 60s when they were first making the thing.

8. mafoofan

It's sold through Maharam, made by Kvadrat. It is probably the fabric which was used back in the 50s and 60s when they were first making the thing.

I went to the Knoll showroom; no Hallindal. They are checking to see if it can be sourced for me. Thoughts on Cato?

[​IMG]

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

After we spent countless hours and visits hunting for a fancy sofa, I came home one day to find that my wife gave up and ordered a sofa from Ikea. More or less like this: [​IMG] In retrospect, once I realized that I didn't really care, I realized that I didn't really care. I did point out that the SF design crowd will no longer talk to us, but she refused to return it.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I went to the Knoll showroom; no Hallindal. They are checking to see if it can be sourced for me. Thoughts on Cato?

GOSH! Pick some sweet fabric and get your freakin' sofa already!

[​IMG]

11. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

why does anyone buy anything but leather? fabric is the playground of 1,000,000 farts.
    No that is the asshole as you know, best. Leather is cool in winter and warm in summer exactly opposite of the way you would want it. Further it is impossible to hang back on a leather couch since you tend to slide off. That said, some of these couches seem awfully uncomfortable anyway. Those are the drawbacks of most pieces of design furniture.

12. otc

otc Senior member

After we spent countless hours and visits hunting for a fancy sofa, I came home one day to find that my wife gave up and ordered a sofa from Ikea.
    More or less like this:
    [​IMG]
    In retrospect, once I realized that I didn't really care, I realized that I didn't really care. I did point out that the SF design crowd will no longer talk to us, but she refused to return it.

I like that couch (although not really the extension part...I woudl assume it is available without?).

Score one more for ikea

13. A Y

A Y Senior member

After we spent countless hours and visits hunting for a fancy sofa, I came home one day to find that my wife gave up and ordered a sofa from Ikea.
    More or less like this:
    http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/74535_PE182388_S4.jpg
    In retrospect, once I realized that I didn't really care, I realized that I didn't really care. I did point out that the SF design crowd will no longer talk to us, but she refused to return it.

On the bright side, that couch will probably break pretty soon, so you get a another shot at getting a good couch.

--Andre

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

On the bright side, that couch will probably break pretty soon, so you get a another shot at getting a good couch.
    Good point. Best case scenario: it breaks on its way to dopey's place and therefore nobody gets a chance to get attached to it

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like that couch (although not really the extension part...I woudl assume it is available without?). Score one more for ikea
    Yes. It comes in a variety of configurations. We have a regular couch plus an ottoman
    On the bright side, that couch will probably break pretty soon, so you get a another shot at getting a good couch. --Andre
    I don't think so. It seems pretty solid and well made. And . . .
    Good point. Best case scenario: it breaks on its way to dopey's place and therefore nobody gets a chance to get attached to it
    Too late. It's been here about a month. . . So I know two people who will not be invited over for milk and cookies.