• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help the Style Impaired - Wardrobe Rebuild

Crakaveli

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
If you're willing to spend even $20, you can start hitting a price range where you can get brands like KMW, 5EP and RRL on sale, and by anyone standards these jeans blow APC out of the water.

+1

rrl jeans are easy to find on internet, under $100, come in raw and pre-distressed.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
A lot of people are suggesting APC and I implore you to please, please stay away. It's not that APC are bad jeans, but in this retail climate you can do so much better. If you're willing to spend even $20, you can start hitting a price range where you can get brands like KMW, 5EP and RRL on sale, and by anyone standards these jeans blow APC out of the water.

+1

APCs, in my opinion, are overhyped. They're nice jeans for the price but there's more options out there for similar price ranges or just slightly more.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fit with the green shirt looks like 100x better than anything in the first post. Like everyone else said, the first aviators are good. Find the exact model and see if they have them on www.framesdirect.com I've never used them before myself, but as a forum affiliate I would assume they're reputable, and you can probably save $50 at least (most of the aviators look to be around $120)

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the weight loss. Now you don't need a goattee anymore to simulate a chin!

About the clothing. The jeans are nice imo. The colouring is good, on those. Wich brings me to my next point.

The (T) shirts share all the same colours with that undefinable character, called boring.
I would get at least some (T) shirts with starker colours, without the grey/brown undertones. And usually it's best to leave more than two toned shirts to the pro's.

About the aviators. I like No 2 the best because it shows a little bit of your eyebrows. A sign of better fit imo. But I never paid more than $ 15 for a pair, so $ 275 seems a bit much... You seem to have the same problem with glasses I have. You, Sir, have a wide nose. Especially on the part which hold your glasses. I wouldn't try Ebay for that reason. (Unless you know the fit of the pair you plan to aquire, ofcourse)

Good luck.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats to the weight loss and the vast improvements in your wardrobe (in only 1 day, no less).

In rebuilding your wardrobe, I would suggest starting with the shoes, ones that fit. What size are you? Start with some medium range classic men's dress shoes, like Allen Edmonds, Johnston and Murphy, Cole Haan, Bass Weejuns (BlueMagic's favorite) etc. One pair of Oxfords or Cap-toes in black and brown would suit you well for nearly any situation. Look for shoes with a leather sole. They might be a bit uncomfortable at first, but they are invaluable. You can find some good buys on the B+S section and on eBay, but I would suggest trying them on in the store first. Ask an assistant to help you find the correct size. For casual shoes, try some Clarks desert boots, travelers, or wallabees. These can double as work shoes, since work seems a bit more casual, or just a pair to kick around with. For an even more relaxed pair, try some vans classics (a favorite of mine), or Converse Jack Purcells.

Socks... put away the white socks and save them for the gym. Invest in lots of Navy, Brown, Black, and Tan socks. They should match the color of your pants. Some people like to get wild colors to compliment your looks, but when starting you, you should keep to the basics.

Next, as far as jeans go, I would whole heartedly suggest Levis 501 STF (Shrink to Fit). Since it still looks like you might lose some weight, it would be a waste to spend $150+ on a pair that might not fit in a couple months. 501s have a straight leg that should still give you enough room in the thighs. Embrace the button-fly, it is your friend. At 35 bucks, you can't go wrong. Give it a shot and post some pics.

T-Shirts, like everyone has said, stick to non-graphic crew neck shirts. Although, when wearing undershirts, wear a V-neck. That way the white collar won't be visible beneath a button up. And always wear white underneath.

Dress shirts, try JCrew, Ralph Lauren Rugby, Uniqlo, or Banana Republic even. Stick to basic blues in solids, stripes, and checks. It's a bit boring, but once you build up your shirt stable you can bring in some bolder colors to spice things up. Every man should own at least one Oxford Cloth Button Down, be it white, blue, pink, yellow, or what have you. It's incredibly versatile.

Sunglasses, I like the first pair of aviators, but I agree that paying full retail might not be cost effective. Find a cheap pair that look similar and wear them around for a while. If you really dig the look, splurge and get the name brand pair that you really like.

Just my two cents. I'm still learning myself, so this is just some information I picked up on my own and while wasting my time here. Also, as others have said, style all depend on your own personality. If you really like something, or really don't like something, trust your instincts. Following these "rules" will get you on the right path, but may leave you feeling a bit bored overall. Keep in mind that rules are meant to be broken. Have fun with the process of rebuilding your wardrobe. Good Luck!

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to the Men's Clothing section for shoe advice...don't listen to what people on SW&D say. For your own good.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heisenberg
Thanks. What sparked it? The Great Lakes Christmas Ale, the Ommegang botles, or the Spaten pack?
Yes to Great Lakes, Ommegang, and Chimay. Is that also a New Belgium beer I see to the left of the Chimay? It's really too bad you're doing this after the holidays. You could have hooked yourself up with some basics really well at J Crew. You might stop by soon or check the website to see what's left. Their sizing, at least in shirts, runs about one size large.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since you live in the richmond area. go to carytown, hit up need, and ask them for jean advice. the staff there is amazing. not to mention you can take a gander at how most of that populace is dressed. granted, many of them are hipsters, but if your eyes can withstand the day-glo and american apparel masses long enough you will see some really dapper people who can put amazing outfits together on the cheap.

there are a few decent vintage stores in that area, but i would definitely suggest going over to need and getting a feel for how things fit before you make an investment. not that i don't have love for farinelli's and denim bar, but i'm all for supporting your local businesses as well.

or alternately, you can just see what looks good on this guy:
pegg_gal_287.jpg

simon-pegg-and-gillian-anderson-2008-cannes-film-festival-akvinta-gq-party-for-how-to-loose-friends-and-alienate-people-premi-Hrcikf.jpg

Gavin

Reaction score
Thanks. What sparked it? The Great Lakes Christmas Ale, the Ommegang botles, or the Spaten pack?

The Great Lakes Pumpkin Ale is so ******* good -- when you can get it, of course.

nerich

Reaction score
congrats on your weight loss and your open-ness to changing your look. i did something similar 18 months ago after losing a bit of weight myself. i have downtime at work right now so i'll try to give a pretty substantial response. hope it'll help some.

if there's any advice i can give from my experience, it's to take it slow. don't buy a lot of clothes quickly. after dropping a fairly large amount of money (considering my income) on new clothes, i've since found that i still like wearing only a few items purchased during my first few months into this. mostly due to issues of poor fit and undeveloped taste, however you already have a huge advantage by knowing about styleforum. nevertheless, your taste WILL change as you learn more about what is out there and the image you want to project (which is why it is important to keep it simple at first).

more importantly, even given the current helpful advice of the good people on styleforum (hello, btw, since this is my first post) your understanding of 'good fit' will change significantly in the next few months as you try on clothes and personally note what makes one item fit better than another. here's a couple general tips regarding fit i haven't read in this thread yet to keep in mind:
1) for shirts (tees, dress, casual button, sweaters, whatever), blazers, and jackets, the first thing i look at is the armholes. if it looks like i could fit my head through the armhole, it's not gonna fit well and you probably don't need to try it on. you generally want shirt/jacket armholes high and small. to get a sense of the difference, compare an average dress shirt from a low end department store with, say, an H&M or Band of Outsiders shirt. the armhole test is especially useful when browsing thrift stores and you can't rely on brand consistency but don't want to try on the whole store.

2) unless you know what you're doing, i would avoid back pleats on shirts and any pleats on pants. they will generally age you and make you look heavier than you are.

here's some of my advice on what to buy, though i'm not saying this is the order you should get these things, or that you need them at this moment. others have already covered that very well.
1) get a pair of nice, casual, dark brown boots...you don't seem like a canvas sneaker kind of guy (though you may be) and it's easier to mess up with sportier sneakers. my friend has DM that look good, and I actually have a pair of Dockers that have done the job for some time, though i'm certainly ready to upgrade.

2) get a pair of dark, raw, undistressed jeans like everyone else has suggested. however, the combination of losing even more weight and becoming more and more comfortable wearing slim clothes will probably make whatever jeans you buy seem too loose in 6 or 8 months. i got a pair of raw slim j brand bootcuts, and though they fit perfectly 8 months ago when my thighs were larger and the subtle flare at the shoe helped maintain balance while keeping the legs slim, after losing just 10 more pounds i find the bootcut no longer as flattering and i want a pair more tapered. i mean, they are nice jeans and still fit well enough even by styleforum standards, but i'm certainly in the market for a pair of premium jeans with a slight taper. buy rrls (on ebay) or apcs if you'd like, just keep potential further weight loss in your thighs in mind and be sure you are comfortable with the jeans possibly only lasting a year or so. honestly, though, at this point i'd agree with some others that you're best off with raw levi's 501s. once you have something to start out with, you can take your chances with a good deal on ebay or look for a great thrift/vintage store find.

3) if you don't wear dress shirts very often but need one or two, look into Express' 1MX line. they're a bit cheaply made, but they fit me perfectly and can sometimes be found on consignment or clearance for under $15.

4) for some occasions, you'll also probably need a slimmer tie than the standard 3.75"ish ones at most department stores. shoot for a 3" one such as Calvin Klein Slim or Original Penguin (often sold at TJ Maxx for $15) and look into getting a knit one from a thrift store for a dollar or two. a wool or silk knit tie might be a good way for you to add something unexpected to your outfit while still keeping it casual.

finally some misc. advice:
1) a lot of people here will tell you it's better to have one very nice item than five not as nice ones. i would suggest heeding this for shoes, jeans, and perhaps coats, but for shirts, tees, and sweaters this simply isn't true when you are just starting out. get a variety of cheap things that fit well (Target Mossimo, H&M, J Crew on sale, Kenneth Cole on clearance...). that'll give you some variety in day to day wear and from that you can gradually get some nicer pieces.

2) i've purchased several items that i did not feel comfortable wearing when i bought them but i liked anyway and they were good deals (raw black slim jeans, a plum dress shirt, a red scarf, a black velvet blazer...). i've been able to integrate many of these into my rotation simply by having them in my closet and getting used to the idea of me being the kind of person that would wear something like that. if the price is right and the piece has the image you want to convey but are still working towards, i would suggest at least considering purchasing to possibly wear at a future date (but just be very careful here because your taste might change and you want to avoid wasting money).

3) unless you are sticking to the basics, don't change your look too drastically too fast. you'll feel weird and that will make you not 'pull off' the clothes. people will pick up on that and no matter how well dressed you are, you'll look decidedly unstylish and maybe even kinda dorky.

4) don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone from time to time. i've tried so many styles, variations, and combinations over the past 18 months, and to be honest a lot of them failed. but in the process i learned what worked and what didn't and gradually developed a personal sense of style. challenge yourself. just don't try -too- hard or you might look lame. tend to keep it to one crazy/unfamiliar piece at a time if you are trying out a new look you are uncertain about. actually, that's a good, common rule of thumb for dressing in general. keep most of your outfit muted but have one bolder, louder piece to show some character. the effect, if done tastefully, is to stand out without drawing attention to yourself.

5) the final piece of advice i want to give is to figure out who it is you are and what you want to be. once you have the basics that everyone has been suggesting, the next step is to figure out how you want to convey yourself to the world and how best to go about that. i started a folder of pictures of people whose style i admired (personally, Pete Doherty, Paul Newman...) and pictures of people with 1 or 2 interesting twists on their outfit that i might imitate some time. gradually i developed a look that is reasonably distinctive and that i'm totally comfortable in. keep in mind that this is what rebuilding your wardrobe/image is all about.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great advice. I wish I had known all this when I first started slimming down, spent tons of money on fashion rather than style and so on. I didn't have the luxury of SF at that time...
frown.gif

Surfrider

Reaction score
I have no wardrobe advice, but I wanted to congratulate you on your achievement. I've always been a skinny little bastard myself, so it's hard for me to directly relate, but if your struggle to lose weight was anything like my struggle to put it on, you have my admiration. 50 pounds is a LOT of beer gut to get rid of.
worship.gif
Well played, sir! PS: No, I lied, I do have some advice: Don't buy jeans now. Don't buy fitted shirts now. And sure as **** don't buy a coat/suit now. If you buy those things now but end up losing another, say, 15 lbs or so, they will fit differently once that last little bit of weight is gone, and you'll probably kick yourself for buying clothes that don't fit your target weight as well as you'd like (and since part of the idea of a new wardrobe is to show off the new you, it would be a bit self-defeating).

heisenberg

Reaction score
rrl jeans are easy to find on internet, under $100, come in raw and pre-distressed.
I tried combining that advice with a post saying "RRL jeans at TJ Maxx/Marshalls" after work today. So, I headed out to both places to try and find some RRLs on the cheap. Here's what I found instead: Attachment 16827 Marshalls, Size 32/34. A bit long, and there was still a good bit of room around my waist. A belt could fix it, but I'd rather they actually fit instead of relying on a belt. On top of that, premade holes and a pretty ugly wash. For $60, how 'bout no? Left there, went to TJ Maxx. I was looking around there and saw a lot of crap, but nothing made me sit there and go "Seriously, WTF were you thinking, Ralph Lauren?" than these bad boys: Attachment 16828 Jeans... with pinstripes... cut like slacks. Attachment 16829 Even pre-cuffed, for your pleasure. Attachment 16830 Even if the boots were tied, I don't know who can pull this look off, but it sure isn't me. For $130 at TJ Maxx, it's a ripoff at twice the price. On top of that, they're dry clean only. What the hell? No cufflinks, either. I still checked, even though I don't own any french cuff shirts.
Don't buy jeans now. Don't buy fitted shirts now. And sure as **** don't buy a coat/suit now. If you buy those things now but end up losing another, say, 15 lbs or so, they will fit differently once that last little bit of weight is gone, and you'll probably kick yourself for buying clothes that don't fit your target weight as well as you'd like
Thanks - I'm going to hold off on an expensive pair of jeans until my weight stabilizes a bit better. I'll go check the fit on some 501s later in the week. AA is next up, followed by trying to pick up some cheap aviators for a test drive. @Shoes - one of the two things that I know won't change sizes on me... http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=96192. $120 shipped is pretty damn cheap for 'em. I'll stop by Nordstrom's tomorrow to try 'em on. Think they're a good investment? They'd replace the square-toed black Eccos in my everyday wear - i.e. they'll be worn with jeans, chinos, everything. Workable?

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if the boots were tied, I don't know who can pull this look off, but it sure isn't me. For $130 at TJ Maxx, it's a ripoff at twice the price. On top of that, they're dry clean only. What the hell?

those pants are pretty bad, but if you cuffed them even more and changed your top either to a solid (chambray?) workshirt or even a flannel of some sort you could make it work... but even then you'd look OK for a n00b. besides, at that price and the pre-cuff there's plenty of better things you could buy, i just wanted to give you an idea of how context can change an outfit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads