• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ohio State v. Texas for Fiesta Bowl

weeks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom288
Incorrect? You just spelled out what I was talking about. The tiebreaker was highest BCS ranking. When Texas Tech dropped as much as they did, that left the 3-way tie essentially between Oklahoma and Texas. So, how do you decide to rank 2 teams with the same records? Head-to-head. Texas beat Oklahoma. They should have been ranked higher in the BCS and gone to the conference Championship game.

And about them knowing the rules before the season. First of all, one team complaining about some rule that that most likely would never have been used wouldn't have resulted in any changes. Secondly, you're telling me Texas should have arbitrarily brought up this obscure rule and argured about it? They couldn't see into the future to see how it would affect them.

There was three way tie under the rules of the big 12, not a two way tie. You UT fans want to make your own rules that will assure your team gets in the championship game.

If Texas thought the rule was unfair, yes they should have complained about it. But its clear that they (you) don't have a problem with the rule in principal, but rather its application that excludes your team.

weeks

Reaction score
And also, if Texas Tech is so ****** and not worthy of consideration, then how did they beat Texas?

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by weeks
It is clear that you dislike the tiebreaker because your team lost the tiebreaker. Bitching about the rules your conference adopted is really ridiculous. There was nothing to "correct" mid-season. Your team didn't win the conference under the rules. If you don't like the rules, try to change them. But, be careful.. the changes may work against the Longhorns again and we will hear yet another bitchfest from UT fans.
I actually don't mind the BCS tie breaker (although I do prefer the tiebreakers used by the SEC, ACC, etc.). My problem is with the mostly anonymous voters who put OU above UT (including a bunch of former Stoops coordinators who put UT at 5) because OU scored 60 points a couple times and with the computers, who value beating teams like TCU and Cincy. If we're going to use the BCS to break an unlikely three-way tie in a division, that's fine. But make it transparent - make the voters publish their votes and make the computer logarithms public. Otherwise it's all bullshit. And to the Jayhawk - great, if you want to consider Tech, fine, lets. They are, after all a one loss team. Feel free to rank them in the top two. Unless you're just parroting disingenuous Stoopsian arguments. Three way tie! Three way tie! Ignore that game in Dallas! Great, vote Tech in the top two (and feel free to put Bama or Ol' Miss or Iowa or Oregon State there as well, for all I care).

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now Weeks, don't lump all Texas fans together (I know you're not) because I, being a Texas fan, realize that how Texas was treated is not the first school to be in this situation. Texas will undoubtedly not be the last team to get a raw deal under this type of severely flawed system. I can't take it personally because of this; plus it simply indicates that we were extremely close contenders.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
And to the Jayhawk - great, if you want to consider Tech, fine, lets. They are, after all a one loss team. Feel free to rank them in the top two. Unless you're just parroting disingenuous Stoopsian arguments. Three way tie! Three way tie! Ignore that game in Dallas! Great, vote Tech in the top two (and feel free to put Bama or Ol' Miss or Iowa or Oregon State there as well, for all I care).

Now you have me confused. Are you saying it wasn't a tie among 3 teams? Didn't all the teams finish with the same conference record?

I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, that all 3 teams were tied until the the point where BCS rankings were considered. So the BCS ranking was the tiebreaker between 3 tied teams.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
Now you have me confused. Are you saying it wasn't a tie among 3 teams? Didn't all the teams finish with the same conference record? I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, that all 3 teams were tied until the the point where BCS rankings were considered. So the BCS ranking was the tiebreaker between 3 tied teams.
Exactly so. I have no problem with that. If you were a Harris Poll voter, you could have voted for Tech as number 1 or 2 (anonymously) and hoped they went to the Big XII title game. Great. Doesn't make any difference to me or my consideration that UT is the best team in the conference. So are you saying you would have picked Tech as the best team in the Big XII? Great. Kansas fans have lots of experience watching and judging top notch football, so I'm sure your judgment is well considered.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Texas benefit several years ago from similar circumstances and screwed California? Texas happily went to the Rose Bowl while a deserving Cal team was left out. Now since the tables are turned, they're complaining. Some years the system favors you and some years it doesn't.

As a Tech Alum, I feel we're just as deserving as OU and UT but the system selected OU. We got screwed also but at the end we chose to be in the Big XII conference therefore we live by conference rules.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a Tech fan, do you remember how that "deserving" Cal team acquitted themselves in their bowl game? Anyway how is getting screwed out of a meaningless BCS game comparable to getting screwed out of a conference title and MNC game?

tom288

Reaction score
Originally Posted by weeks
There was three way tie under the rules of the big 12, not a two way tie. You UT fans want to make your own rules that will assure your team gets in the championship game.

If Texas thought the rule was unfair, yes they should have complained about it. But its clear that they (you) don't have a problem with the rule in principal, but rather its application that excludes your team.

I'm not even a Texas fan. It was a 3 way tie in name only. Voyes dropped Tech enough to make it clear it was between Texas and Oklahoma, in which case Texas beat Oklahoma and should be higher in the BCS than them. Thats the rule and how it should have worked. 3 way tie becomes, in reality a 2 team tie, look at head to head to rank. SO Texas is 2 and Oklahoma is 3 for losing head to head and Texas goes to the Conference game as the highest rated BCS team

weeks

Reaction score
I'm not even a Texas fan. It was a 3 way tie in name only. Voyes dropped Tech enough to make it clear it was between Texas and Oklahoma, in which case Texas beat Oklahoma and should be higher in the BCS than them. Thats the rule and how it should have worked. 3 way tie becomes, in reality a 2 team tie, look at head to head to rank. SO Texas is 2 and Oklahoma is 3 for losing head to head and Texas goes to the Conference game as the highest rated BCS team

OU, UT and TTU were tied. They all had the same conference record. They all had the same overall record. It was a three way tie anyway you slice it. Votes don't matter in conference championships except regarding tiebreakers in the Big 12. You can't re-write the rules because you don't like the result.

tom288

Reaction score
I know it was a 3 way tie, but the way the voters had the teams positioned, Texas Tech wasn't getting in. So if was simply down to texas and Oklahoma. Who should the BCS rank higher? Texas won on a neutral field, so they should go. Voters make Texas 2 in the BCS, settles thew tiebreaker, and Texas goes to the Conference and National champ[ionship games.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Now Weeks, don't lump all Texas fans together (I know you're not) because I, being a Texas fan, realize that how Texas was treated is not the first school to be in this situation. Texas will undoubtedly not be the last team to get a raw deal under this type of severely flawed system. I can't take it personally because of this; plus it simply indicates that we were extremely close contenders.
+1. Some year soon, it will be OU and/or Tech getting "screwed" by a tiebreaker system.
'm not even a Texas fan. It was a 3 way tie in name only. Voyes dropped Tech enough to make it clear it was between Texas and Oklahoma, in which case Texas beat Oklahoma and should be higher in the BCS than them. Thats the rule and how it should have worked. 3 way tie becomes, in reality a 2 team tie, look at head to head to rank. SO Texas is 2 and Oklahoma is 3 for losing head to head and Texas goes to the Conference game as the highest rated BCS team
The SEC does something similar: it uses the BCS ranking to exclude the 3rd place team, then considers head-to-head records between the top two. The Big 12 considers head-to-head records before BCS ranking and determines that there is a 3-way tie based on head-to-head records. Then the relative BCS rankings are used as a succeeding tiebreaker considering all 3 teams. Since OU's BCS ranking was higher, they went to the conference championship. You may believe the SEC's method, or something similar, is more fair, but if so, the Big 12 should have adopted the system before the season, not after determining who would play for the conference championship under the different scenarios.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Exactly so. I have no problem with that. If you were a Harris Poll voter, you could have voted for Tech as number 1 or 2 (anonymously) and hoped they went to the Big XII title game. Great. Doesn't make any difference to me or my consideration that UT is the best team in the conference. So are you saying you would have picked Tech as the best team in the Big XII? Great. Kansas fans have lots of experience watching and judging top notch football, so I'm sure your judgment is well considered.

Perhaps you are a little slow on the uptake if you couldn't detect my sarcasm, but you still haven't adressed my question: is Tech a good team or bad?

Remember, the Hawks have a BCS win last year, so don't denegrate the team too much.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a Tech fan, do you remember how that "deserving" Cal team acquitted themselves in their bowl game? Anyway how is getting screwed out of a meaningless BCS game comparable to getting screwed out of a conference title and MNC game?

So you're saying going to the Rose Bowl is a meaningless game to a team that hasn't been there about 40-50 years? Cal got *********** same way Texas did. Some meaningless games affected the SOS in the computers catipulting one team over another. Texas chose to be in the Big XII. If they don't like the rules they can petition to have it changed at the end of the season or they can leave the conference.

I like Texas ever since I've had a couple of HS teammates start for them in Big XII championship games and feel bad for the team since they got screwed. I just can't stand the whiny arrogant fans.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
I just can't stand the whiny arrogant fans.

And I hate fans who can't stay off the field until the game ends. Oh, what am I saying, I love them! I can't stay mad at Techsters! I especially love it when you shove the goalposts into the A&M fan section!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clothingg