• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Ivy League Graduates?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
You're comparing cat **** to dog ****. In all seriousness, I'd never debate the athletic prowess of OSU vs Northwestern. I mean, give Northwestern some credit. It's a school that is a fraction of the size of OSU, has almost none of the recruiting leverage that OSU does, and has academic standards impossibly higher. It just isn't possible for a school like that to compete with OSU (despite the fact that we upset you 3 or 4 years ago). Still, we beat many of the teams in Big 10. In fact, OSU was our only real blowout loss. The IU game, everyone knows, was a huge upset for us to lose. We finished 24th in the nation which is really good for a "nerd" school with a tiny stadium. Several times in the Michigan State game we really made them worry, including injuring 3 of their players, all the while sustaining none ourselves. So, OSU was really the only time we were raped this season, and let's be honest, it would be pretty sad if OSU whose greatest distinction is its sports couldn't beat a little school like Northwestern.
I agree about this season. They've done very well for a team that usually sucks cock all over the conference.
and has academic standards impossibly higher
rolleyes.gif

keggythekeg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Hmm, maybe because it has one of the best journalism schools in the world, is a powerhouse in the entertainment industry, has the best marketing B school in the world and has very strong faculties in every single area? Not to mention that every now and then (like this year), they actually do pretty well in sports. The kids there are also very smart and considerably more social than the typical ivy league brat, with quite similar achievements scholastically.

i wouldn't usually want to be bashing on other, relatively respectable, schools, but i feel that i'd be justified given the last sentence. I don't have a problem respecting schools like Chicago and Duke which generally have similar caliber students and do well in cross-admit battles. I have no problems respecting, I don't know, BC for what it is. But the Northwestern/WashU/etc crew? Y'all just filled with sad, inferiority-ridden sacks that wish it could be at Cornell or Penn instead of where y'all at. Sports? Would you really turn down Harvard because it doesn't have FBS football?
As for journalism and marketing--the program itself means very little. A lot of kids, as long as they're from "good schools", will have no problems finding these jobs regardless of major. This is why undergrad business programs are overrated. My roommate worked at Lehman after graduating with an English major, and I, a creative writing major no less, had an offer from a top 10 consulting firm. Both of us had severely sub-median GPA, FWIW. If you want to take pride in your glorified trade-school, feel free to do so. I will concede the entertainment point, and your theater program, but I doubt many of those that fawn over NW does so because of the theater program. Plus, heck, if you're smart enough, just go to Yale for theater.
I wouldn't have problems respecting NW for what it is, as I respect many schools and their graduates. It's inferiority ridden masturbatory comments like these from NW/WUStL/et al. that irritates me.
Quite similar achievements scholastically? Perhaps (though doubtful), but then it's the non-scholastic achievements that set you apart. The ones that matter more than scholastic achievements after a certain level. Considerably more social? You're buying into the myth that kids are top schools are nerds with no lives. A lot of what distinguishes those that get in and those that dont, despite the "similar" scholastic achievement, is the fact that these kids have proved their personality outside the classroom, whether as captains of sports teams or leaders of clubs.
Y'all have a great school and a great student body as you allege. It's great. But don't go around with a chip on your shoulder making silly comments like that. It only makes you look worse.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by keggythekeg
i wouldn't usually want to be bashing on other, relatively respectable, schools, but i feel that i'd be justified given the last sentence. I don't have a problem respecting schools like Chicago and Duke which generally have similar caliber students and do well in cross-admit battles. I have no problems respecting, I don't know, BC for what it is. But the Northwestern/WashU/etc crew? Y'all just filled with sad, inferiority-ridden sacks that wish it could be at Cornell or Penn instead of where y'all at. Sports? Would you really turn down Harvard because it doesn't have FBS football?
As for journalism and marketing--the program itself means very little. A lot of kids, as long as they're from "good schools", will have no problems finding these jobs regardless of major. This is why undergrad business programs are overrated. My roommate worked at Lehman after graduating with an English major, and I, a creative writing major no less, had an offer from a top 10 consulting firm. Both of us had severely sub-median GPA, FWIW. If you want to take pride in your glorified trade-school, feel free to do so. I will concede the entertainment point, and your theater program, but I doubt many of those that fawn over NW does so because of the theater program. Plus, heck, if you're smart enough, just go to Yale for theater.
I wouldn't have problems respecting NW for what it is, as I respect many schools and their graduates. It's inferiority ridden masturbatory comments like these from NW/WUStL/et al. that irritates me.
Quite similar achievements scholastically? Perhaps (though doubtful), but then it's the non-scholastic achievements that set you apart. The ones that matter more than scholastic achievements after a certain level. Considerably more social? You're buying into the myth that kids are top schools are nerds with no lives. A lot of what distinguishes those that get in and those that dont, despite the "similar" scholastic achievement, is the fact that these kids have proved their personality outside the classroom, whether as captains of sports teams or leaders of clubs.
Y'all have a great school and a great student body as you allege. It's great. But don't go around with a chip on your shoulder making silly comments like that. It only makes you look worse.

Full disclosure, I went to Harvard for my undergrad and grad school at Yale. I know what I'm talking about when I make these comparisons. What is your basis for comparison?.

Also, I was refering to Kellogg which only offers graduate degrees. I have no idea where you got the undergrad part from. They only offer a certificate to undergrads.

The reference to the entertainment industry isn't about the actors that come out of here, even though there are a number of famous ones. It's about running the actual industry, the executives, the business side etc...

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BYucko
Johns Hopkins is not underrated.

Its underrated because of its Med school. I applied and got in and people all were asking me if I wanted to go Pre-med while business was my first choice. In fact, all my friends who go there are NOT pre-med..once they hear you are not going for med, they somewhat dismiss it.

WashU plays the ranking game, pure and simple. They place everyone on the wait list and deny no one so their yield is artificially higher. They also perform a slew of other shady ranking raising activities. I will post them here if anyone asks for it. (No I didn't apply)

Georgetown should not be ranked 23 or whatever it is, its defiantly in the top 20 with their strong political science.

Notre Dame should be heads and shoulders above Vanderbilt and Emory due to their ridiculous B-School and strong alumni connections. All my friends who go there come out with pretty damn good jobs. (Friend GPA range from 3.0-3.9)

Northwestern is eh. Good grad b-school and solid liberal arts. I would put them in the same range as Georgetown, ND, and Hopkins, Brown.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Incorrect.

I'm pretty much with you on Northwestern and Emory (not to say they aren't perfectly good schools), but Swarthmore is pretty commonly regarded as one of the, if not THE single, most academically rigorous school in the country. Amherst (Go Jeffs!) and Williams are also just as highly regarded in the academic world as any of the Ivies. In fact, ASW are often seen as more prestigious than Cornell, Dartmouth, and even Brown or Penn (Wharton notwithstanding).

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose this is much alike to the Oxbridge VS Non-Oxbridge debate in the UK. I myself chose not to go to Oxbridge (Oxford or Cambridge), unlike a lot of my friends because i didn't think i'd like it there. Aside from these two, there are about 5-10 other institutions whose degrees are worth the paper they are printed on.

From visits to my friends i know i made the wrong choice...Still, the university i went to is 8th in the world, 3rd in Europe (University College, London) so it isn't all too bad. The only places the "Old Boy" networks are still rife are deep within the "City" and Law, luckily two things that don't interest me are finance and law.

If i ever decide to go back and get an MPhil or another MA, i will choose Oxford.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia

Incorrect.

How so? What is your basis for comparison? From what I recall, you haven't been to a top world institution, so you really wouldn't know the level of education at Northwestern vs a great school. By the way, McGill doesn't count. Along with most Canadians, I am amply aware of the dirty little secret that it's a fairly second rate school with a reputation that's held over from the early 20th century. Another thing - music schools don't count either. About Swarthmore, how would you know? I didn't attend that school, nor did I attend Emory, but I have been to visit both and have several friends at each, and from everything I can see, they're extremely good schools. Again I ask, what is your basis for comparison?

Frankly I don't think people can know what is overrated until they've actually been there, and have a reliable basis for comparison.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I suppose this is much alike to the Oxbridge VS Non-Oxbridge debate in the UK. I myself chose not to go to Oxbridge (Oxford or Cambridge), unlike a lot of my friends because i didn't think i'd like it there. Aside from these two, there are about 5-10 other institutions whose degrees are worth the paper they are printed on.

From visits to my friends i know i made the wrong choice...Still, the university i went to is 8th in the world, 3rd in Europe (University College, London) so it isn't all too bad. The only places the "Old Boy" networks are still rife are deep within the "City" and Law, luckily two things that don't interest me are finance and law.

If i ever decide to go back and get an MPhil or another MA, i will choose Oxford.

Yea but these "X in the world" are so dumb. If you're refering to THES, keep in mind that a lot of their rankings are commically bad. Look where they put Stanford, and then a place like McGill. Their ranking of US universities can be highly, highly suspect.

People should stop apologizing for where they went and backing things up with how a school is ranked. University College in London is an incredible school and I don't see why anyone would regret going there. Go to Cam over Oxford... all the gross non-public kids go to Oxford.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the end, no one really gives a **** where you went to school. I think that is overwhelmingly true in the U.S.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
In the end, no one really gives a **** where you went to school. I think that is overwhelmingly true in the U.S.

You're not there yet, buddy.

Neither am I, for that matter. School choice does matter, sad but true.
frown.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara

I agree, except if you want to be part of some club, like the east coast elites
devil.gif
there are requirements to fit in in the Upper East Side, parts of the Hamptons, and Nantucket besides money.

Some of my best friends are morons who went to state schools and fucked like 3 girls a week, had the time of their lives, and are now running successful businesses. I respect them as much as I respect anyone else who is important in my life, however, they'd never start commenting on university rankings and saying X is as good as Harvard and start comparing schools they couldn't get into. As long as people don't start talking about things that are outside of their budget, so to speak, then it's all good.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
It does matter to people who still hold onto it as some kind of mark of how great they are years later. Kind of the same with college students bragging about their SAT scores. People should concern themselves with how well they're doing in the current stage of their life. Leave the past alone.

Agreed. The experience is definitely part of you, but you can't cling to it or brag about it. That's just pathetic.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BahirRicha