• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much will banks be looking for salary-wise to afford a 200k home loan?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? I presume not in Japan?

People who make $25k do not generally have enough funds to own a house. They rent or if they can't stand that, do something else like live in a trailer park.

My parents bought a house in the midwest worth about $180k, I helped them with it so I know at least roughly what it takes. You should have someone in the household who is making at least around $50k per year before taxes. At that level you have to live pretty frugally.

Now, the easier part. You seem of average or above average intelligence and temperament, I don't see any reason why you can't get a job with over $40k per year in salary. This is about US average.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i bought 0 down 4 years ago for over 400K. not a pretty mortgage i have. put down every penny you can-the opposite of a car purchase.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I was afraid of that. Thanks for killing my dreams buddy.
smile.gif

Time to start practicing my field goals. Maybe i can make NFL league minimum somewhere so that I can afford to get myself a one bedroom condo in Seattle.

Marry rich.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Where do you live? I presume not in Japan?

People who make $25k do not generally have enough funds to own a house. They rent or if they can't stand that, do something else like live in a trailer park.

My parents bought a house in the midwest worth about $180k, I helped them with it so I know at least roughly what it takes. You should have someone in the household who is making at least around $50k per year before taxes. At that level you have to live pretty frugally.

Now, the easier part. You seem of average or above average intelligence and temperament, I don't see any reason why you can't get a job with over $40k per year in salary. This is about US average.

Its a little harderfor me to get decent paying jobs than you think.
smile.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know your e-rep in full. Are you disabled? Ex-con? under 21? Massive face tattoo?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know your e-rep in full. Are you disabled? Ex-c
on? under 21? Massive face tattoo?

Ex con
frown.gif

Stupid stuff i did as an 18 year old.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah I see.

Well, as an aside, if I didn't want to work in a conventional office, I would learn some sort of programming and do it freelance/contractor, or do full-time ecommerce. Even as a normal office drone I have thought about quitting and scouring thrift stores full-time. I feel like around $2k per month doing this is pretty feasible. Getting to that $4k a month level is a little harder.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
TS, i wouldn't give up too soon. have you looked at government insured loans like what the FHA offers? http://www.hud.gov/buying/loans.cfm

also, my guess is that Obama will introduce some sort of legislation that will make homebuying easier but i imagine that banks and the government will still require some fairly decent financials.

either way, start saving and work on your credit score. who knows what'll happen in a years time.

-Jeff

Guy named Barney Frank, and some other politicians did this a few years ago. We see the results!

A few years ago ( about 2005 ) 0-3% down, a credit score in the 500's, and an income of 25K annually could have gotten a loan ( perhaps not for $200,000 but close ).

Now it's come full circle. I've heard of people with credit scores above 760 and 10 % down payments, being asked for additional conditions ( like more down payment or audited tax returns ), before getting a loan.

I must admit that I missed the crap that was going on. I sat in model homes for years selling new homes for builders. Primarily 150-300K ( yes, that is possible in Houston, Tx., nice houses too ). At one point about 85% of applicants were being approved for loans ( with my company at least ). This included absurdities like low doc, or no doc loans where the applicant basically said whatever the mortgage person told them to say and the lender accepted it. Because of stuff like that we've come full circle to our current "liquidity crisis".

If home values keep dropping, I see more and more people walking away on their loans. It's hard to get motivated to make a mortgage payment on a home that is now worth $200,000 and you paid $300,000 for it a few years ago. In addition the interest rates are often higher with higher monthly mortgage payments than the first year of the loan ( due to ARMS and such ).

Sometimes renting is not the worst course. Such as in a declining market. My friend just bought a town house in a short sale directly from a bank. Good part of town too, Westview and Voss in the Spring Valley area. It's one of 6 units. The builder went bankrupt after completing the project. 3 of the units have sold. The first went for $200,000, the second for$160,000 and my friend got his for $125,000. Sounds great doesn't it? Well, who knows. What if the other 3 units remain unsold? What if the next closing is for $110,000? Crazy things are happening.

I wish the new administration well. They are going to need some luck. And I hope they have a comprehensive well thought out plan which includes some austerity IMO. I don't think it will happen ( too many special interest groups to pay back ), but one can hope.

Can anyone imagine a world without bigger and better LCD and plasma TVs. What a nightmarish thought but be prepared.

And to the OP, TS. If prices are flat, let alone declining, maybe your lack of buying ability isn't that tragic. I've been around long enough to see that things work in a cyclical fashion. I' hope you are ready when this current cycle turns. The good news for you that it won't be turning very soon
plain.gif

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah I see.

Well, as an aside, if I didn't want to work in a conventional office, I would learn some sort of programming and do it freelance/contractor, or do full-time ecommerce. Even as a normal office drone I have thought about quitting and scouring thrift stores full-time. I feel like around $2k per month doing this is pretty feasible. Getting to that $4k a month level is a little harder.

Freelance is the way to go for the difficult-to-employ. Pitch ideas to magazines, start putting together a portfolio of whatever it is you can do. If you can't do something, learn to do something. It's not so bad since you can start doing this while holding down a 9-5.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah I see. Well, as an aside, if I didn't want to work in a conventional office, I would learn some sort of programming and do it freelance/contractor, or do full-time ecommerce. Even as a normal office drone I have thought about quitting and scouring thrift stores full-time. I feel like around $2k per month doing this is pretty feasible. Getting to that $4k a month level is a little harder.
If clearance is not an issue and he is technically inclined, I see no reason why he could not be making 5-10K/mo if he put in the effort to specialize. There is, as he said, never "enough money," but I feel that one needs at least 50K/yr if not 75K to live comfortably.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah I see.

That's actually a good suggestion for TS. I've met lots of substandard coders that do websites and stuff to earn decent money. There's no reason he couldn't do that if he had the inclination. I don't do websites because I'm no good at graphics/design and prefer more nerdy stuff, but if you do good work for one company your name will get passed around through word of mouth and you'll eventually have enough to keep you going and maybe even quit your day job. There's a lot to learn at first, but it's manageable for someone that's good with computers and has a logical brain. For websites, the coding is actually the easy part. TS seems to have a good eye (at least from his photography), so maybe he'd be good with the design aspect of it too.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
That's actually a good suggestion for TS. I've met lots of substandard coders that do websites and stuff to earn decent money. There's no reason he couldn't do that if he had the inclination. I don't do websites because I'm no good at graphics/design and prefer more nerdy stuff, but if you do good work for one company your name will get passed around through word of mouth and you'll eventually have enough to keep you going and maybe even quit your day job. There's a lot to learn at first, but it's manageable for someone that's good with computers and has a logical brain. For websites, the coding is actually the easy part. TS seems to have a good eye (at least from his photography), so maybe he'd be good with the design aspect of it too.

**** websites; no money in that.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arnach
**** websites; no money in that.

That's not necessarily true. Given that an increasing part of the US economy is dependent on small business, I'd imagine there's tons of work for people that take the effort to learn web design really well. I've seen tons of really crappy websites that could do with a make-over or additional functionality. Of course, just html skills won't be enough, as you'll need database skills and other things as well. Like anything, you need to work at. Most computer people aren't salesmen though, and working on your own requires the ability to sell.

Either way, it would be pretty stupid for TS to take your attitude. He's obviously had trouble getting good jobs because of his record. Whether he decides to do websites or something else is beside the point. Nobody pays top dollar to someone that's just starting out in something. No matter what he does, there's not going to be a whole lot of money in it to start. If he's persistent and good, there might be money in it one day. He'll certainly earn more making simple websites for a few hundred to a thousand bucks a pop than he will sitting on his ass, and he won't have to quit his day job to do it. He could easily double his earnings if he really worked at it imo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads