• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) What Are You Wearing Now/Today? Part II - pictures only - no discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
different shoes with that, man. black boots or something Cold out today. What's with florida, lately? Reminds me i don't own a single cold weather jacket anymore. Again, apologies for the bad mirror picture. All these fits look much better outside/better angle. I need to set aside one fit a week or two where i properly take it. click for slight alt pic since i took two. may as well not let it go to waste dark tealish raf patchwork sweatshirt dark navy cdg h+ wool pants double identity sneaks

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aak
Wow. Can't believe you spent all that money to achieve an extremely generic outfit.

This board is ******* hilarious. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
This board is ******* hilarious. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

For what it's worth Justin, if I saw someone on the street dressed in that exact ensemble, I'd be pretty damned sure he wasn't wearing Gap and/or was clueless towards fashion.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
Maybe not, F2B, but for anyone else he'd look sloppily dressed. Ugly shoes, ugly jeans, ugly topcoat... Yeah, yeah, retro schmetro. Money can't buy taste. (Socal does sometimes have taste, however!)

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's nothing "retro" about that look, it's perfectly modern.

as much as people say they can 'develop' an eye for clothing, i don't quite think so. You can educate yourself about clothes and then learn to assemble them, like many people browsing fashion forums do, but 'education' only gets you so far. like Rye GB's comment about being a "Garmento"...you either have the eye or you don't.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Jil Sander single chalk stripe overcoat Jil Sander cashmere double line turtleneck Raf Simons x Fred Perry flannel trousers Jil Sander black boots
sldinner.jpg
sldinnerdetail.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
there's nothing "retro" about that look, it's perfectly modern. as much as people say they can 'develop' an eye for clothing, i don't quite think so. You can educate yourself about clothes and then learn to assemble them, like many people browsing fashion forums do, but 'education' only gets you so far. like Rye GB's comment about being a "Garmento"...you either have the eye or you don't.
We refer to this in my office as "You're born with taste or not." and much to our chagrin we are unable to find a new assistant given this. Edit: I think people also fail to realize that people may actually dress situationally and not just for the Internetz. It's one of the first stormy days in New York, you don't have any vendor appointments and you have a half ass cold...yah let's wear a Lanvin tux.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly think your dimly lit photos are your biggest problem. In person, I don't think there would be any doubt as to whether or not your items came courtesy of the GAP.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
I honestly think your dimly lit photos are your biggest problem. In person, I don't think there would be any doubt as to whether or not your items came courtesy of the GAP.

I'll give you some free clothes if you come and take detail shots of my closets.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
The circle-jerk here is ridiculous.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce

The photography is an issue, but it's not the main one. The outfit SoCal posted just now in the all black is one that would more easily be recognized as something worn by someone 'in the know'...yet the blue jeans outfit was one of much greater subtlety that would take a more trained eye to differentiate, which 99% of the population who does not really give a damn about what they wear would not.

Today I wore an asymmetrical weave Yohji Yamamoto henley, loose cotton Comme des Garcons trousers and Visvim Kiefers - yet to the average passerby it would look like i was wearing a brandless t-shirt purchased at some random bargain bin, trackpants and Chucks.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yet the blue jeans outfit was one of much greater subtlety that would take a more trained eye to differentiate, which 99% of the population who does not really give a damn about what they wear would not.

please elaborate

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's nothing to elaborate on.

actually i said trained eye - maybe not 'trained', but 'skilled' is more like it. It seems many people here pay a lot of attention and detail to developing and refining their clothing tastes, so it is a given that the majority of regular posters here are quite 'trained' in their clothing vocabulary. Yet there were comments about that outfit being on par with early 90s, tagutcow steez. I can assure you anyone who has extensive experience immersed in the world of high fashion can pretty damn quickly differentiate an outfit like SoCal's and someone like tagutcow. It's just people are often times conditioned to think something is "stylish" if it fits certain check boxes. eg. braidkid, who is by definition someone who generically fits into the definition of what most people would call "well dressed." (Not a dig at you, braid, your outfits are fine for the most part, it's just you are the easiest example i could think of)

It just so happens SoCal's pic was not that well taken, and from a digital camera photo posted online it would easily seem to many who have a preconceived notion of what makes up 'style' he was wearing pedestrian clothing like many people slumming it to buy milk would.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's nothing to elaborate on.

actually i said trained eye - maybe not 'trained', but 'skilled' is more like it. It seems many people here pay a lot of attention and detail to developing and refining their clothing tastes, so it is a given that the majority of regular posters here are quite 'trained' in their clothing vocabulary. Yet there were comments about that outfit being on par with early 90s, tagutcow steez. I can assure you anyone who has extensive experience immersed in the world of high fashion can pretty damn quickly differentiate an outfit like SoCal's and someone like tagutcow. It's just people are often times conditioned to think something is "stylish" if it fits certain check boxes. eg. braidkid, who is by definition someone who generically fits into the definition of what most people would call "well dressed." (Not a dig at you, braid, your outfits are fine for the most part, it's just you are the easiest example i could think of)

It just so happens SoCal's pic was not that well taken, and from a digital camera photo posted online it would easily seem to many who have a preconceived notion of what makes up 'style' he was wearing pedestrian clothing like many people slumming it to buy milk would.

That's what I thought.

You'd find some comfort in the CEespool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members