• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best digital SLR camera under $1000?

jakejake

Reaction score
How about the Nikon D40? How does that compare to the Canon XSI/T series? I can get the D40 for around $400.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are the differences between a so-called semi-professional camera and a full-fledged professional model?

I imagine it has something to do with the quality of the sensors, but the choices all seem very difficult in comparison to professional-grade cameras of the past, which usually just had something like a "fancy" meter as a plus, additional framelines, or better mechanical build a la the Contarex.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What are the differences between a so-called semi-professional camera and a full-fledged professional model? I imagine it has something to do with the quality of the sensors, but the choices all seem very difficult in comparison to professional-grade cameras of the past, which usually just had something like a "fancy" meter as a plus, or better mechanical build a la the Contarex.
Generally speaking, the more expensive cameras have bigger, better sensors, more auto-focus points, they work faster, have better viewfinders, better white balancing, better exposure meters, and give less noise at higher ISOs. Those are the most noticeable differences as they related directly to image quality, but the actual feature list is much longer. Mechanical build also increases noticeably. A non-professional camera would a D40/D60. There's no way a professional photographer would prefer to use it for their work as it just doesn't have enough performance and control features even though it takes nice pictures. A semi-professional camera would be a D80. A professional could get away with using it as its a nice camera and makes great pictures. They basically took a D200, made it smaller and cut down the features that non-professionals wouldn't notice, and left in the ones that are important. Most pros would prefer to go up to at least a D200, though. A professional camera would be a D200 (now replaced by D300), and going even higher, a D2 or D3. Image quality is the highest, and all the other features I already named are in and in their best form. I don't know my model numbers as well with Canon, but they have an equivalent at every level.

Joshua Arson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakejake
I'm going to add photography to my hobby list. I don't know much about SLR cameras, but I can afford anything under $1000. A friend of mine recommends the Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1. New or used is fine as long as it's under 1 grand. Any other recommendations?

That Casio isn't an SLR. It has an electronic viewfinder, and you can't swap lenses. Not to mention I despise Casios because their build quality is godawful. Personally, I'd go with a D40 and a nice lens or two if you're looking to stay under a grand.

chessplayer

Reaction score
If I had to replace my old Nikon D70s today, I would go for a D200. It's available at Amazon.com for $999 (or in Germany for €999).
There were some technical problems (banding) with the first models, but that has long been solved.

However, you want to keep in mind that it's a rather heavy piece of equipment (it has a metal case in contrast to the cheaper Nikons). Maybe nothing you want to take with you for a little stroll.

The higher you go up in the model range, the less "useless" features like automatic programs for portrait, landscape, action... you get. I think this is a good thing because you actually have to learn how shutter, speed etc. work together. Instead, you usually get a more sophisticated light meter and a faster auto-focus. Again, you have to learn how these features operate to make maximum use of them.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone buys an SLR and leaves it on automatic mode. I understand it in wedding photography, but I see a lot of people doing still photography and using fully automatic mode. If I see someone wakling around the city with their camera and its not on M, A, S, or P, it kind of gives me a chuckle.

chessplayer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I don't understand why anyone buys an SLR and leaves it on automatic mode. I understand it in wedding photography, but I see a lot of people doing still photography and using fully automatic mode. If I see someone wakling around the city with their camera and its not on M, A, S, or P, it kind of gives me a chuckle.

It's like buying a Porsche only to be driven around by your mom who never goes faster that 50 mph.

chessplayer

Reaction score
Are you stalking me?

Wouldn't it be foolish to stalk a moderator?

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chessplayer
It's like buying a Porsche only to be driven around by your mom who never goes faster that 50 mph.

It's actually more like buying a Porsche with an auto transmission.

That said, I sometimes use my (film) SLR on aperture priority because I'm more worried about catching a moment than fiddling with settings.

milosh

Reaction score
Generally speaking, the more expensive cameras have bigger, better sensors, more auto-focus points, they work faster, have better viewfinders, better white balancing, better exposure meters, and give less noise at higher ISOs. Those are the most noticeable differences as they related directly to image quality, but the actual feature list is much longer. Mechanical build also increases noticeably.

A non-professional camera would a D40/D60. There's no way a professional photographer would prefer to use it for their work as it just doesn't have enough performance and control features even though it takes nice pictures.

A semi-professional camera would be a D80. A professional could get away with using it as its a nice camera and makes great pictures. They basically took a D200, made it smaller and cut down the features that non-professionals wouldn't notice, and left in the ones that are important. Most pros would prefer to go up to at least a D200, though.

A professional camera would be a D200 (now replaced by D300), and going even higher, a D2 or D3. Image quality is the highest, and all the other features I already named are in and in their best form.

I don't know my model numbers as well with Canon, but they have an equivalent at every level.

Just to expand a bit. D200 and D80 have pretty simillar image quality. The difference is mostly in the pro weather sealed body of the D200. Studio pros put a lot of value on a larger sensor like the one in Canons 5D or Nikons new D700.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sony A series are nice. I bought an A 200 since the price was right and it seemed to have the functions I wanted. Now that I've fiddled with it for a while I wouldn't have a problem jumping up to the 700 or 900 when it's available. I play with long exposure IR and it's by far the easiest camera to setup for this kind of photography. I'm happy with the way it takes lightning pics too. I've played with some of the Zeiss lenses for this camera and needless to say the quality is top notch. Oh and you can use about a bizzilion lenses made by Konica/Minolta.

In any case play with all of the cameras you can and pick the one that works for you.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 on the casio not being an SLR.

The entry level Canons and Nikons are both good. For that matter, you can probably get a Canon 40D for less than a grand today.

jakejake

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward Nikon D80 since the price will drop b/c of the D90. I've never used a D/SLR before. Should I get the D40 instead or get the D80 and keep it for a longer time? What are the major differences between the two? Any reason why I shouldn't get the D80 but some other brand?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosh
Just to expand a bit. D200 and D80 have pretty simillar image quality. The difference is mostly in the pro weather sealed body of the D200. Studio pros put a lot of value on a larger sensor like the one in Canons 5D or Nikons new D700.

Just a note: the weather sealing on the d200/d300 is not of the same level as on the pro cameras, and unless you're buying their pro glass, most nikon/canon lenses are not weather sealed either.

If environmental sealing is really important to you, the olympus e-3 is the way to go under 2k. All of their pro range glass is sealed to the extent that you see some people pouring bottles of water on them or rinsing them under the sink.
laugh.gif
Nikon doesn't really focus on the weather-sealing aspect of their cameras. Olympus practically dares you to submerge them.

My point is that i would not buy a d200 for the weathersealing. I would buy a d300 for the crazy AF system, but not the weathersealing.

As for the OP, don't forget to look at the olympus e-520. The Olympus kit lenses are some of the best out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads