• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothes for the Short Guy - Stores, Brands/Lines, Websites

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A thread dedicated to stores/brands and websites that cater to the short guy (under 5'7 applies?) - I'm only 5'5

Anyone else tired of going to stores and spending more time looking for what's available in your size and then if you like it, rather then clothes you like and then picking out your size? The slim fit thread and others have been pretty helpful but for mainstream stores i still find this a problem.

Let me also disclaim - if you're going to name brands / lines within brands / stores please make a note if you have firsthand experience with it or not...

Just to mention some I recently found

http://shortshrifted.com/index.php - looks to be a new site so not too much content yet but a start
LA store catering to short guys - http://www.jimmyaus.com/about.html - haven't personally been there though so can't vouch for htem

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
5' 6" here, maybe half an inch shorter on a bad day when the weight of the world is upon me!
smile.gif

You're just going to have to be really picky about what you buy. No magic answer (short of MTM/bespoke and they have separate issues of course - cost, time, convenience, etc, etc). However, at 5'7" you should be fine in the Short length of most makers. Some makers only do Regulars, so obviously avoid these (unless you have a very good alterations tailor with a sympathetic eye and experience in shortening jacket lengths). But really, I'm suprised you're having trouble finding stuff that fits you at 5'7". 5'6" and under, yeah, but I from my experience you should be perfectly OK in many makers in a short length.

jhao

Reaction score
I'm 5'4 and usually buy my suits at Zara and take them to my tailor to make a lot of changes. i'm interested in some OTR suits that could fit me because MTM/bespoke is too expensive to use them everyday.

Bob01

Reaction score
5'6 on a good day 5'5 on a bad one....probably shorter at the end of even crappier days...

Before finding this forum, all my clothes were horribly fitted - a visit to the tailors can fix alot of things, but obviously not everything....Finding things that fit in the collar, shoulders, wrists & waist - and the tailor can usually fix the rest (lengths, baggyness/fit, etc)

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
I had a vertically challenged friend who had this great idea to open a store for short guys called "Napoleons Closet." I always thought that was a great business plan.

Oh, yeah, and I'm a whopping 5'8".

gqreader239

Reaction score
I am 5' 5" - 5' 6", weight about 115-118. short and skinny which is a double ***** slap to my ego.

Dress Shirts- Jantzentailor.com, Express, Gap XS shirts (altered)
Dress Pants- MTM Mysuitshop.com
Jackets- MTM mysuitshop.com
Chinos- Levis 511, Kenneth Cole (tailored, slimmer seat, thighs)
T shirts- American Apparel
Sweaters- Jcrew (tailored for high arm holes, remove excess fabric from body)
Jeans- Lee 101Z, Gap Williamsburg Raw Denim
Street Wear outerwear- Forever 21 military jacket (tailored for better fit)
Polos- RL custom fit, Lacoste Retro fit (fits great out without any needed tailoring)

I think whenever I look at an item I pay attention to a few things...

1. fit of shoulders (i have 16" shoulders, very narrow and small)
2. fit of arms (i have skinny arms)

Im still looking for a pair of black laceups and will give me some boost and look elegant when paired with a suit or a pair of jeans. Any suggestions are welcome.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
5'4" here. Bespoke was ultimately the answer in many cases, but I found that MTM Brooks Brothers shirts can fit me pretty well. If you have a smaller neck than me, the OTR slim-fit shirts may work, too.

andyw

Reaction score
I'm 5'-8" and these suit/ sports jacket makers' "short" sizes are very well proportioned, i.e. higher armhole and thinner sleeves and might work because they tend to be cut a little bit shorter:
Canali
Paul Stuart (Samuelsohn); Phineas Cole is only in R
RL Polo and BL
Boss

For trousers try Uniglo, Boss and Incotex

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked, I was 5'8". Anyway, I still find that ties can sometimes be too long. This got me Googling. I found this site. http://www.jraffiani.com/main/thetie.php I found the specifications handy, as all I was after was some advice on the size of ties for shorter men. Of course, I'd much sooner suggest people go with David Hober or someone else who offers bespoke. Rubinacci and Marinella aren't nearly as accessible, though they're great if you can get to them, as the Matt above has. http://www.samhober.com/ Good for every height. Shirts never fit me off the rack. They're always too big and long, even the 'slim' ones. This and the problem with ties leads me to believe I have relatively long legs and a short torso. Shoes. A touchy issue, but usually smaller men have smaller features
fight[1].gif
The best thing here is the makers who produce shoes in many sizes and widths. PS I had never thought of myself as short, but at 5'8", Mr Raffiani thinks I am.

boo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
Shirts never fit me off the rack. They're always too big and long, even the 'slim' ones. This and the problem with ties leads me to believe I have relatively long legs and a short torso.

Corneliani makes short-length dress shirts, which happen to also be fairly slim fitting. I think a bit overpriced at a retail price somewhere in the mid-$200s, but I notice they seem to always be on sale at my local Bloomingdales. I've picked up several for under $100.

Josh R

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm 5'5" and I run www.shortshrifted.com, the blog mentioned in the first post on this thread way back in 2007 (can't believe I hadn't come across this before!). Lots of good advice here -- Thanks. I'll definitely be checking some of these links out.

In answer to the following:
Originally Posted by uirugger
I'm ok with the suits, but where do I find ties that fit? 60" is way too long.
I feel your pain. So I put together a comprehensive list of over 50 major necktie brands (and lesser-known labels) that compares them by length and price. The PDF is available here: http://shortshrifted.com/index.php/?p=189. The other great resource, of course, is eBay. Tons of vintage ties that are 57, 56, 55 inches on down. And don't forget www.tiecrafters.com -- they can shorten neckties etc.

Anyway, my blog has lots of info for men 5'8" and under. Advice on stores, labels, custom stuff, etc. Occasionally I mention stuff that I don't have first-hand experience with, but in most cases, I've been to the store, tried on the clothes. Please check it out! Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads