• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sin City, who should not wear Chucks

obsessis

Reaction score
chucks are a classic. i think older guys look fine wearing them.....considering they probably wore them when they were kids. if younger people think you look goofy or trying to hard to be 'hip' you can tell them that you were wearing them before they were born.

Curious_George

Reaction score
Chucks can fine on anyone imo. Now, if I saw an older person wearing them with skinny jeans and an ironic t-shirt I'd probably think they looked strange. But they're classic enough to go with a lot of different wardrobes and styles.

And maybe it's just me, but I think they look just as good with looser jeans as they do skinny stuff.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the sartorialist has a few shots of this dapper old japanese dude who's probably in his 60's (i think he's a tailor who draws inspiration from classic Hollywood cinema), in one photo he wore some kinda overcoat with chucks (red, iirc?) and he always looks badass. so i think age isn't a matter so much as attitude

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have them in white and black high top, and brown, white, and red low cut. I wear a pair at some point during the day almost daily.

Mark C.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I finally saw this movie the other night.

Elijah Wood in Chucks, yes. Clive Owen, no. It looked very strange for a tough guy in his 30-40s to be wearing them, much less in red.

I'm in my 30's and I only wear Chucks.

I remember (everyone in my neighborhood) wearing Chuck Taylors waaay back when I was in elementary school. They just have a consistent charm...they're simple, yet stylish in a way that transcends time or age and that's what's so special about them. Chucks were popular well before you were even born.

By the way, if it makes you happy, I would never wear red shoes.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark C.

I felt this way until one day seemingly out of the blue I decided I wanted red Chucks.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never liked the cap, but I own one pair in white. However, I don't wear them much, I find that there's so many other tennis shoes out there that look more intersting.

seamless74

Reaction score
hopefully everyone knows by now how i feel about chucks... but just for old time sake...

no other piece of classic footwear has the abililty to singlhandedly ruin on otherwise fine look... its amazing how theyve been consistently doing it for like 50 years...

borderline

Reaction score
Maybe its just because I teach at a University, but 90% of the men I see are wearing dirty white cheap running shoes, including shoes with various shock absorbers. This includes both students and department heads. In this context I think Chucks would be an improvement for almost everyone.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark C.

funny. I don't normally wear Chucks but the one pair I have that are the only color I wear is a red pair.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lupin23rd
Anyone wear the "loose-fit" Chucks as seen on Zappos?
smile.gif

Could be a better fit for those who wear non-slim jeans, or those with wider feet, provided they don't fall under the "square-toe" category... (never seen any in person)

m

1733-195812-d.jpg

I used to own a pair of "loose-fit" chucks. I have pretty wide feet and wearing normal Chucks are not an option for me; the toe box is too narrow and would cause blisters if I ever tried walking in them. Anyway, I saw the loose-fits on sale and thought "Alright! Chucks that actually fit me!"

Well, I have to say they look a bit funny. If the normal chucks look like clown shoes because they're too long, the loose-fit ones look like little boy shoes because they're too squat. The toe box is super-wide, even for me, which shortens the visual length of the entire shoe. They're not bad, but they never looked quite right. My pair was poorly made and fell apart after less than a year -- the brown sole came apart from the white rubber lining. That might have been a problem with my pair, but for all I know it's endemic to all Chuck Taylors.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All Chucks are like that. They're dirt cheap shoes that are nothing more than a couple pieces of canvas on a pad of rubber, and they cost at most $0.25 to make with slave labor. I don't know why you'd expect more from them.

Double D

Reaction score
My Clive Owen red chucks have lasted me nearly 4 years and I'm still proudly wearing them with my Clive Owen leather jacket and my other assorted Clive Owen black apparel.

Then again I'm 23 so maybe the original poster would let me off the hook for such a sartorial nightmare.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
Maybe its just because I teach at a University, but 90% of the men I see are wearing dirty white cheap running shoes, including shoes with various shock absorbers. This includes both students and department heads. In this context I think Chucks would be an improvement for almost everyone.
Chucks would definitely be an improvement. I hate the shock absorbers on shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads