1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sin City, who should not wear Chucks

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Kent Wang, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

By the way, if it makes you happy, I would never wear red shoes.

funny. I don't normally wear Chucks but the one pair I have that are the only color I wear is a red pair.

2. TheDroog

TheDroog Senior member

Anyone wear the "loose-fit" Chucks as seen on Zappos? [​IMG]

Could be a better fit for those who wear non-slim jeans, or those with wider feet, provided they don't fall under the "square-toe" category... (never seen any in person)

m

[​IMG]

I used to own a pair of "loose-fit" chucks. I have pretty wide feet and wearing normal Chucks are not an option for me; the toe box is too narrow and would cause blisters if I ever tried walking in them. Anyway, I saw the loose-fits on sale and thought "Alright! Chucks that actually fit me!"

Well, I have to say they look a bit funny. If the normal chucks look like clown shoes because they're too long, the loose-fit ones look like little boy shoes because they're too squat. The toe box is super-wide, even for me, which shortens the visual length of the entire shoe. They're not bad, but they never looked quite right. My pair was poorly made and fell apart after less than a year -- the brown sole came apart from the white rubber lining. That might have been a problem with my pair, but for all I know it's endemic to all Chuck Taylors.

3. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

All Chucks are like that. They're dirt cheap shoes that are nothing more than a couple pieces of canvas on a pad of rubber, and they cost at most $0.25 to make with slave labor. I don't know why you'd expect more from them.

4. Double D

Double D Senior member

My Clive Owen red chucks have lasted me nearly 4 years and I'm still proudly wearing them with my Clive Owen leather jacket and my other assorted Clive Owen black apparel.

Then again I'm 23 so maybe the original poster would let me off the hook for such a sartorial nightmare.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Maybe its just because I teach at a University, but 90% of the men I see are wearing dirty white cheap running shoes, including shoes with various shock absorbers. This includes both students and department heads. In this context I think Chucks would be an improvement for almost everyone.
    Chucks would definitely be an improvement. I hate the shock absorbers on shoes.

6. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

My father is in his 50s and still wears prision issue chucks. That prooves that there is no age limit.
    Is he is in prison??

7. oceans11

oceans11 Senior member

I agree I'm 38 & I love it's simplicity with a fresh pair of Dickies & a white pressed T-shirt.

8. Obstacle 1

Obstacle 1 Member

Chucks would definitely be an improvement. I hate the shock absorbers on shoes.
    uhhh i have to disagree has anyone (who has to work on their feet for a whole day) worn chucks to work? like me, i'm sure you are aware of the ensuing pain that you will get in your feet and up through your body. don't wear chucks when you stand all day. a shoe with proper support is far better, no matter how shit it looks.

9. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Since being bought out by Nike: -Production outsourced to overseas sweatshops -Changed from 2-ply cotton canvas to 1-ply "textile" -Price raised to $40 -Plans to use dead rock stars for branding: "No doubt this would have been a huge hit with Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, Jerry Garcia and Jim Morrison, who are, of course, all widely remembered for their love of synergistic marketing, product endorsements and co-branding opportunities." Fuck you, Nike. You ruined one of my favorite shoes.

10. converge

converge Senior member

I wear custom orthotics with my Chucks, so their lack of support is not as drastic for me.

11. WayneGibbous

WayneGibbous Senior member

The AA, Nudie, Chucks look is plaaaaaayed out. Nothing against chucks but just wearing plain, solid, unworn, pristine Chucks has got to end. They have so many unique looks but people retread the same washed-up look year-after-year.

12. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

The AA, Nudie, Chucks look is plaaaaaayed out. Nothing against chucks but just wearing plain, solid, unworn, pristine Chucks has got to end. They have so many unique looks but people retread the same washed-up look year-after-year.

Do these appeal to you more?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Sander

Sander Senior member

Since being bought out by Nike:
    -Production outsourced to overseas sweatshops
    -Changed from 2-ply cotton canvas to 1-ply "textile"
    -Price raised to $40
    -Plans to use dead rock stars for branding: "No doubt this would have been a huge hit with Kurt Cobain, John Lennon, Jerry Garcia and Jim Morrison, who are, of course, all widely remembered for their love of synergistic marketing, product endorsements and co-branding opportunities."

Fuck you, Nike. You ruined one of my favorite shoes.

Tell me that's not true.

14. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

Tell me that's not true.

Wikipedia is a questionable source, so I just did some research and that list isn't 100% accurate. Nike didn't make the outsourcing decision; Converse did when they filed for bankruptcy in 2001. Still, I am not paying $40 for a $3 made-in-China shoe, much less one that plans on whoring out dead rock musicians who would obviously have been opposed to it.

15. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

There are still deadstock/vintage chucks on ebay that are made in usa. The prices on them have gone up, though.

16. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Tell me that's not true.

And if I remember the last time I was in a shoe store, the fact that the soles are now made with a paper-impregnated rubber amalgamation was not mentioned on that list. They're not even a solid rubber sole anymore.

17. Sander

Sander Senior member

omfg... I have to say the new choice of canvas bothers me most...
    Fuck, I just bought a new pair...

18. seamless74

seamless74 Senior member

nuts!!!!!!!!!! all of you chuckheads are nuts!!!!!!!!!