• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your thoughts on graphic tees (honest replies)

Forkit

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have made a number of threads here and I have really enjoyed all of you valuable input. I am a sophomore at college and I would like to boost my style, mostly because I would like to look attractive to girls. I was thinking of buying a number of graphic tees such as these:
scrtchblkgraf.jpg
xtrcsllr.jpg
blkpolocrystl.jpg
Do you guys tend to mimic the GQ style?? If so, is it appropriate for a 19 year old as myself to mimic the style as well without looking toolish? What are your thoughts on graphic tees? Would you guys avoid them altogether? Is so, why?? Your answers would be highly appreciated!!

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Pay more attention because most guys here would rather smear themselves in dog poop body paint than let anything as atrocious as those tee's rub against their style sensitive bod's. Seriously mate wake the f**k up!. My wife would rather suffer retinal damage staring at the mid day sun than check me out in that ****!. The only girl's you deserve to snog wearing that stuff are the ones that tuck the pecker into the gooch. The web site is www.styleforum.net not www.wankfashions.net

Forkit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Pay more attention because most guys here would rather smear themselves in dog poop body paint than let anything as atrocious as those tee's rub against their style sensitive bod's.

Seriously mate wake the f**k up!. My wife would rather suffer retinal damage staring at the mid day sun than check me out in that ****!.

Check the web address www.styleforum.net not www.wankfashions.net

Why are they so atrocious though? Is is because of the age gap?

fortune

Reaction score
No. It's because the styles are very unappealing. The whole gothic/grunge style that ed hardy, affliction, and any of those other brands are trying to plaster onto fitted tees, trucker caps, and ****** jeans, is rediculous. Any girl that finds those attractive needs to have her eyes check. Also, having your muscles bulge out like that(if you are muscular) is pointless and you'd have better luck wearing no shirt at all than one of those.

Forkit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fratstar
Age gap?

No boy or man at any age should wear that ****. Awful.

So do you guys mimic the GQ style?

Also, why do you guys hate graphic tees so much??

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not wear graphic tees any more.

And also:

Style=timeless classics that never go out of style
GQ=fashion trends that come and go

Most people here avoid big name designer clothing for more plain, classicly styled clothing.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
It's not about whether the tee has a graphic or any other embellishment. The tee's you are appealed to represent a very old and tired trend (5 years strong). If you aspire to be fashionable then fine go ahead and wear it, it's mainstream you'll fit in with every other guy unable to find their own unique identity. If you aspire to be stylish then find a different path by doing some research.

It's lazy and conformist to pick up on this aesthetic and we'll all think your a "douche".

Are you a "douche"?.

Forkit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
It's not about whether the tee has a graphic or any other embellishment. The tee's you are appealed to represent a very old and tired trend (5 years strong). If you aspire to be fashionable then fine go ahead and wear it, it's mainstream you'll fit in with every other guy unable to find their own unique identity. If you aspire to be stylish then find a different path by doing some research.

It's lazy and conformist to pick up on this aesthetic and we'll all think your a "douche".

Are you a "douche"?.

Thats a very good answer! If I follow the style of this forum, will I be trendy and unique, in your opinion??

I am not a "douche," I am trying to change my image to look attractive to women.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you follow the style of this forum, you would technically be the opposite of trendy. Fashion is in it for the trend while style is in it for the long haul. I personally only buy items that I could see myself wearing for the rest of my life, and therefore see expensive purchases more like investments.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Forkit
Thats a very good answer! If I follow the style of this forum, will I be trendy and unique, in your opinion?? I am not a "douche," I am trying to change my image to look attractive to women.
Wrong!, this forum doesn't encourage you to confirm to what I or anyone else wears. An ideal scenario would be for everyone to have their own unique flavor. This isn't a frigg'n cult enticing you to dress utilizing favorite brands and items according to our rules. The only rules are be yourself using some of the great information and feedback available here and not be a "dangleberry"!.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, some honesty.

Those examples suck, but I wouldn't say graphic t-shirts or graphic hoodies in general necessarily must suck. There are some that would be okay by me. I'm not a big wearer of them myself, but some I could abide.

Clothing/style says a lot about who you are, or who you want people to think you are. If you want people to think you are dressed by a 2nd-rate sorority girlfriend, then the above kind of thing would be correct for that look. (Refer above to Rye's "douche" point.) If you want to say "I have a rudimentary understanding of the trends in current, local, popular media and a willingness to pay for it" (not necessarily such an unwise viewpoint, esp. if you are dressing "to be attractive to women") then go buy everything GQ tells you. If you want to say something else, you'll need to figure out what that is, and then go about figuring out how to say it.

Some of us are saying "I think so much about clothes/style/whatever that I don't even care what 99% of people think I look like". Some are saying "I just want to fit. in. [with a conservative business crowd, or my douchey peers, etc.]". Some say "I can afford to buy overpriced concept pieces and can get away with wearing them out of the house". There are as many styles and style statements as there are people (who care at all). The thing is to find one that represents you, so that you can be comfortable in what you're wearing, and not be worrying about it.

Only when you are comfortable in your clothes can you forget them and concentrate on what is important in front of you, and be attractive. Ironically, this is why people who genuinely don't care about how they look, and dress accordingly, can still do surprisingly well in the social game.

So what am I saying? Stop caring completely, and dress from Wal Mart? Maybe. I dunno. Hopefully I made some sense.

Forkit

Reaction score
Thanks j for your reply!!

Do you think what GQ recommends are for everyday settings, such as a university?? Or are they just meant for high-profile occassions??

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
They often have those spreads that say "in your 20s, in your 30s, in your 40s", etc. The 20s ones would be a good place to start. I wouldn't start by buying a bunch of suits, that's for sure.

Do a search for the threads here on basic college wardrobe. A lot of stuff like what you're asking for has been posted.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru