• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your thoughts on graphic tees (honest replies)

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I actually have been really wanting some graphic tees lately. Mainly a few surface2air, ksubi, drkshdw and raf simons ones. If they had that raf by raf longsleeve tee in small at barneys last week, it would've burned a hole in my wallet really fast.

I really wanted that s2a 3d logo tshirt but it sold out in my size come sale time. I also want this beethoven tee but my girlfriend pretty much refused to let me spend $90 on it. Maybe i'll find second hand for cheaper one day.

Admiral Kelvinator

Reaction score
I would agree that 90% of graphic tees are unwearably ugly, especially within the Gothic/Rogue's Gallery vein that you posted. However, that doesn't mean that all printed t-shirts are taboo; I wear them quite frequently, albeit with an eye towards subtlety and quirkiness.

graphic tees are great, but they should be SUBTLE.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like a graphic tee here and there. Those are atrocious though. Overdetailed and poorly so at that. The off center prints are especially galling. Combined with the bad imitation of 70s colors and the faux (and poorly done) distressing, they are the nadir of fashion.

If you like graphic tees, good ones are far and few in between, but I have a pretty decent one by Wings+Horns (though they are hit and miss with their graphics), and I think that Quentin&Claude does decent ones. If you want something a little more in the popular turn of the century vein, B.Son does some good work, and have a nice slim cut and comfortable but durable materials.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Forkit
I am trying to change my image to look attractive to women.
As a PSA, dressing well is not going to get women in your bed.

seamless74

Reaction score
i remember the first time i surfed onto solis.com or revolve or emoda.com whatever and found all those t shirts in the pursuit of style lol... I thought i stumbled upon the holy grail at first and thought how awesome they were and how cool id look in um.. thank god i never actually bought one and in the space of about six months ive gone from thinking bout pairing graphic tees and puma speedcats lol... to vintage leve sawtooth shirts, red wings GT, and harris tweed flatcaps... thank god for the help a lost soul can find in these parts. and i would say its almost impossible to find a cool graphic tee, they are about as overplayed as UFC and if really stuck on tryin to find a cool tight fittin shirt i just recommend vintage shirts from ebay or thrift...

seamless....

P.S. redaktor is spot on spouting truth style is almost impossible to quantify or explain you either get it or are in the process of gettin it or will never get it... explanations just cant quite do it..

madgrad

Reaction score
Ok, this will probably be a bit rambling but here I go.

Forkit, I used to be you, almost exactly. When I started a graduate program a few years ago, I had just turned 21 and as embarassing as this is, I wore pretty much clothes my parents had gotten me, or gap jeans and a rock t-shirt from Hot Topic. I decided I wanted to change the way I looked so I could get laid easier. Crass? Yes. Juvenile? Yes. The truth? Sadly also yes.

The first friend I made in the program could have been an A&F model. This guy was genuinely an attractive man, and he carried the A&F style perfectly. It actually looked good on him, and even looking at the way he dressed with my (limited) fashion knowledge today, I still think he is one of the few guys that looks great in A&F. So, I decided to dress like him. For a year. Diesel jeans and shoes, Express shirts, Armani Polos, A&F polos, North Face, etc.

God help me, at one point I went out wearing an affliction t-shirt, a Drifter hoodie, monarchy jeans, a kanga cap, and diesel sneakers.

Several thousand dollars later I realized: He's 5'11, 190 of mostly muscle, tan, and with spiky hair. I'm 6'3, 155, a buzzcut and glasses. I looked like **** in that stuff, and I didn't get as many women as I hoped because:
1: I looked goofy like an amjack trendwore
2: More importantly, I knew I looked out of place so I wasn't confident enough to rock the outfit properly and it shows. Confidence is easy to spot and hard to fake.

The lesson? I began to realize I had a more subdued sense of personal style. I don't like clothes that draw attention to themselves, I have more of a taste for understated, fitted clothes. And fit is the key. I've chatted up women and gotten more numbers in an AA tee, simple raw jeans, and chucks than I ever did in my GQ wanna be fashion gaggle **** days because I'm relaxed and confident in more simple attire.

What I'm trying to say is if you genuinely believe a flashy wardrobe is going to get you women, you're putting more faith in your clothes' ability to get women's attention then yourself, and you're doomed to fail.

That being said, there are some graphic Tshirts that I do like. For instance:

http://www.enclothe.com/shop/pc/view...1&idproduct=52
http://www.enclothe.com/shop/pc/view...&idproduct=142

I'm a sucker for mythology/literature references. And this is a very small company, limited run t-shirts on AA tees, so the color is good and so is the fit. The cost is low, and I casually know the owner from another website and he's a decent guy. If you must get a graphic T-shirt, try that style. My two cents.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some of those on that site are really pretty decent.

And this model doesn't hurt:

eternalEmbrace_ps_girls.jpg

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
If you follow the style of this forum, you would technically be the opposite of trendy. Fashion is in it for the trend while style is in it for the long haul. I personally only buy items that I could see myself wearing for the rest of my life, and therefore see expensive purchases more like investments.

That's really hard to do. There's no telling what you'll be wearing in 20 years, no matter how much you tell me you love your style.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Those weren't the best examples... but graphic T's aren't completely terrible things to wear (I have a few). I just think those ones were a bit over-done, it's like they scream "hey everyone, look at me, I'm wearing a graphic tee!".

I find that some sort of painting or detailing can add a lot to a shirt, too much is bad. Also, I kind of like more work done to the actual shirt through fabric (such as rips, sewing, embellishments, interesting cuts or lines, treatments, etc) rather then just slapping on a paint pattern. Most of the interesting stuff comes from stuff that looks like it took a while to make/craft and is subtle... And of course, you have to be able to pull it off in your behaviour.

j;819731 said:
Only when you are comfortable in your clothes can you forget them and concentrate on what is important in front of you, and be attractive. Ironically, this is why people who genuinely don't care about how they look, and dress accordingly, can still do surprisingly well in the social game.
QUOTE]
Ahh... I think that's also a good point

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm fond of graphic Ts, but there is a time and place for them... rocking them all the time isn't the best way to go, and try to wear them naturally as opposed to in a ironic sort of outfit.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although the general attitude towards graphic tee's here is against, at the age of 19, IMO it's one area where you can create something unique -- or at least unusual -- on the cheap. Seriously, grab some light-colored cotton tees from your favorite vendor and some iron-on transfers from the local office-supply store. Then, find a graphic designer or art-school friend to come up with a design of your own.

As others have hinted at, it depends on what you want. If you want someone to recognize the the shirt as coming from a particular brand, and look to receive compliments based on brand-recognition, then you should already be in tune to what is hip in your area and age bracket. However, if you are looking to create a look -- however casual -- that is your own, then creating your own graphic tees is simple and affordable.

Treat it as a science experiment, go to your local *-mart and pick up a pack of 5 super-cheap tees as testors. Once you have a design and get good at the iron-on process, buy a nicer quality tee (American Apparel is my personal fave) and go to town. Who cares about the longevity, it's a graphic tee and you'll be creating a new batch next quarter/semester anyways.

On another note, getting involved in the "making" of clothes at an early age just might give you a finer appreciation for the process of making fine clothes in the future, such as MTM and bespoke.

djs488

Reaction score
I agree with just about everyone here. I'm also looking for graphic tee's, but it is very difficult to find one that is "me". I have nothing against the concept, but the current trend is too aggressive for my personality; what, with skulls and guns and all-over prints. As a general rule, style forumer's are never against something just because it's trendy, but because something about it just doesn't fit.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
STOP The only reason to wear a "graphic" T-shirt is if it actually means something TO YOU. Jesus, what the **** are you trying to say/convey? Does it really matter? Bumper stickers are not the way to identify/advertise yourself. A well-fitted shirt (T or otherwise), says more than anything that's printed there-on could. You're spending far to much time on the resume and not enough on the interview (or required talent and skills for that matter). Shirts will not get you laid. Confidence will.

Tonybag0dohnutz

Reaction score
I think graphic T's are fine and I personally have a decent amount of them. However, I would stay away from that affliction/drifter gothic splatter look. As some others have said, Wings and Horns makes some really cool graphic T's and their quality/fit is top notch. I would also suggest checking out Salvor. I'm not sure if there are any online stockists for the brand, but they have amazing graphics (mostly animal based) and the quality is great. I beat the crap out of mine and they are as soft as they were the day I bought them.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not an in depth analysis of graphic t's but sometimes I like to wear funny T's. its a great conversation starter, and especially in college, being too serious is lame. http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...poppush&color= or how about this from superbad: http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban...poppush&color= but personally,those graphic t's you posted are horrible. They look like some crap i used to buy when i had just gotten out of college, from express
lol8[1].gif
. its just too try hard. It seems like everyone starts out, when they first try to get fashionable, buying the same generic crap from express,AF,etc,etc... and as they start learning more and finding out what works and doesn't work for them.... they move forward into a style that truly express who they are. or want to be. (J wrote what i was trying say, pretty much)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads