• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTF w/ppl am I the one wrong?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jonglover
As one of the more liberal people on this board, I find it hilarious that the politics card is being thrown about. That is a weak crutch to stand on and further drives home the point of a feminine liberation bullet-point gone awry. And can people please make up their minds about whether distaste for this is a stand against progressivism or anti-regressive dislike for a mammalian trait?

The fact of the matter is that the woman should go to the bathroom and do her business, in the same manner that people do when they need to blow their noses, have a hacking cough or need to pass gas. I had a death in the family a couple of weeks ago and some of us went to Morton's after the funeral. My cousin picked her newborn up after the funeral so that everyone could see him, and during the meal she excused herself to the bathroom so she could feed the baby. How hard is it to get off your lazy ass and go to the restroom?

And is it an evil? No. I've seen it on several occasions and I'm like, "Blah", look away, end of story. But after seeing some of the replies I had to hop in here and post. The OP had a pretty capable negative reaction in that he refrained from acting like an immature prick (which is more than I can say for a lot of people in this thread) and came on here to see if his reaction was unique. In return he essentially gets, "**** you, you ape." and "Welcome to the 21st century.", with people going as far to say that they are glad his meal was ruined and making fun of his restaurant choice (after explicitly stating that he's gone through financial hardships). And then someone inanely misuses my comparison (which I stated was an uneven comparison (which I made to bring to light that little common sense has been showed in this thread)). Why are people capable of having an intelligent conversation about important topics like the war in Iraq while a socially relevant, yet back-burner topic like this immediately devolves into a shouting match?

Topics like this are why I think this board should be set up with an invite system similar to TFS. The anonymous nature of the internet brings a vehement candor out of those who haven't the courage to muster a voice in the real world.

Let me start by asking you what the problem with breastfeeding is. Why should women be ashamed of it? The baby is eating just like everyone else, and it just happens to be from a breast, which by the way, is not a sex organ if you didn't already know. There is a good reason why breastfeeding in public and private is protected under law in most states; to protect them from people like you and the OP who would have them banished to a dirty public bathroom because you give your own comfort a higher priority than a mother and her newborn child.

I don't have a soft spot for his financial hardships because I suspect they might have been a series of self inflicted wounds. Have you ever been to the melting pot? You pay a ridiculous amount of money for food that you have to cook yourself. It has to be the single most expensive gimmick people can think of for an unoriginal date. No wonder those places are always packed on prom night and Valentines Day with self important teenagers in rented clothing.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with the OP.

Nobody needs to be exposed to a floppy veiny tender boob while trying to enjoy their dinner. Not only that, but a crying child? I would have pushed them both into heavy traffic.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd cut the breastfeeding mother some slack, but then again she doesn't need any slack. A baby is a young person dependent on the mother (and/or father) with pretty much everything. In that case the baby needed sustenance, and the parent chose the natural form of sustenance (and a lot would argue the best) for the baby. The restaurant obviously doesn't or cannot ban this. And if you were vocal enough to complain, you'd probably be the 1st one to be asked to leave rather than the mother. Imho, the bottomline is this: the baby needs his/her milk. The mom needs to give it to her. Its not anyone's fault. And they certainly have the right to be sitting in that restaurant anyway. Besides, does this mean that when the OP looks at a woman's breast the only thing that comes to mind is doing a Russian on her?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
People seem to be missing the real point here. Breeding needs to stop. Babies are loud, can't do anything for themselves, suck on breasts in public, and poop in their pants. What good can possibly come of having MORE of them?

Disgusting creatures.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
People seem to be missing the real point here. Breeding needs to stop. Babies are loud, can't do anything for themselves, suck on breasts in public, and poop in their pants. What good can possibly come of having MORE of them?

Disgusting creatures.

Not to mention they occasionally grow into clods like the OP.
rolleyes.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
What would your mother say?

Get off my ****!

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly thought you went to a good place, but if the website is like that I doubt it even has dress code for the adults. Also if this place would be considered one of the best pales to which you have gone, please go out more there are much better places in the world.

On a side note I am going to be finishing my degree in Georgia, having only beent to newyork and chicago a couple of times, because i have realtives in thoses places, I do not know what the region is like. So is this what georgia is like bad restaurants and a couple of nuts?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best fondue I have eaten was in the Swiss Alp, don't recall the exact location. Actually, it was probably only average, but my friend had made us hike all day long (he is the type who insists on seeing everything) and I was famished. I polished off two loaves of bread in something under ten minutes. I'm pretty sure that an exposed breast would not have put me off my meal. I suggest that the OP hike all day, then return to the Melting Pot.

Additional edit: imo, a good raclette (sometimes spelled raclet - I had it wrong either way first go around) and decent (though a really good wine is wasted) dry white are the essential ingredients for a good fondue. And don't skimp on the wine, please. Too often, I've found fondue, in the United States in particular, too cloyingly smooth and rich. A sharp taste is really necessary for balance. And cracked pepper alone is not enough.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I'm pretty sure that an exposed breast would have put me off my meal. I suggest that the OP hike all day, then return to the Melting Pot.
Would or would not?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
a good raclete and decent (though a really good wine is wasted) dry white are the essential ingredients for a good fondue.
A good raclete (sic) for fondue?
confused.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have enjoyed a number of fondues, myself - I wasn't actually suggesting that fondue wasn't a good thing, but that all the fondue places I ahve been (admitidly, none in the states) were noisy places, with drunk guys and families with kids. a baby being fed would not have been out of place.

I am not sure that Raclete qualifies as an actual fondue or not, but i have had soem great meals both of Raclete and of fondue. hmmmm.... hadn't thought about that for a while.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raclette and fondue are actually very different cheese dishes, made with different cheeses too.

Raclette is made with "raclette" cheese (easy) and the cheese is melted through direct heat on top of the cheese wedge, then it is scraped ("racler" = to scrape) onto the plate. It is served with cured meats, boiled potatoes and onions/pickles.

Fondue uses cheeses from Savoy (usually a mix of 4 or 5 cheeses, including gruyere, emmental, comte... lots of people have different views on the right cheese mix but raclette cheese is not one of them) plus some white wine (some people add milk). Cheese is melted in a pot so is not "grilled" by direct heat like raclette. It's eaten by dipping bread in it.

I personally much prefer raclette (or tartiflette) to cheese fondue

Hope you enjoyed the explanations and are now as hungry as I am
smile.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
A good raclete (sic) for fondue?
confused.gif

Spelling corrected. The Swiss raclette is a little firmer than the French version, and it is not only a very traditional cheese from the mountain regions, but very good for fondue as well. You don't approve?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William Elizabeth