• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mashed Potatoes

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Russet potatoes make slightly fluffier mashed potatoes, but Yukon Golds have an appealing buttery flavor and can be used if you prefer. Mashed potatoes stiffen and become gluey as they cool, so they are best served piping hot. If you must hold mashed potatoes before serving, place them in a heatproof bowl, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and set the bowl over a pot of simmering water. Be sure to occasionally check the water level in the pan. The potatoes will remain hot and soft-textured for 1 hour. This recipe can be increased by half or doubled as needed. It yields smooth mashed potatoes. If you don't mind lumps, use a potato masher.

I use a pressure cooker. The results, are outstanding. Here is my favorite recipe for mashed potatoes, using a large saucepan.

2 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup half and half, warmed
2 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
White pepper

1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan with cold water to cover by about 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are just tender when pricked with a thin-bladed knife. 20-30 minutes. Drain the potatoes.

2. Spear each potato with a dinner fork, then peel back the skin with a pairing knife. Half the potatoes, place cut side down in a ricer. Rice the potatoes into the saucepan.

3. Stir in the melted butter with a wooden spoon, until incorporated. Add the crushed bouillon cubes to the warm half and half. Mix well. Gently whisk in the half and half. Add pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

variations include garlic mashed potatoes, mashed potatoes with scallions and horseradish, mashed potatoes with smoked cheddar and grainy mustard.
honger.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of nice touches -- ricers are excellent tools. I prefer stock to bouillion, though.

Here's my really subversive comment -- the best mashed potatos I make are from mashed, baked Yukon Gold or Russets.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Huntsman. Ah, so you bake the potatoes, first. Interesting. You probably enjoy double baked potatoes, too.
Have you ever used a pressure cooker?? What a difference. The potatoes don't get soggy. They retain much more flavor, and 'stack up' better on plates.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pressure cooker is better than a straight boil, but for the best results ya gotta bake.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll try it. Do you bake the potatoes, in a microwave?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blasphemor! J/K...... bake wrapped in tin foil in a standard oven - 350-375 deg. Yukon golds will bake a little faster than your standard russett. I never use a timer...I just feel them....so I cant' tell you how long. I'm sure you can look that up somewhere.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best mashed potatoes I've ever had were red potatoes. The place that made them (a now defunct steakhouse in Cincinnati) changed their recipe from normal potatoes because they were supposed to have more flavor, and indeed they did.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We eat mashed potatos here at home pretty much weekly. My wife used to boil them but recently has taken to baking them, as others have mentioned doing. It really ups the overall flavor, in my opinion. As a bonus, we cut the baked potatos into quarters, carefully scoop out the insides for the mashed potatos, and then refrigerate the skins to make classic "potato skins" to go with another meal later in the week.

Todd

Reaction score
Yukon Garlic Mashed Potatoes
5 pounds peeled Yukon Gold Potatoes
2 tablespoons blanched garlic cloves
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 pound melted butter
Salt and pepper to taste

DirectionsTo blanch garlic cloves, boil in water for 2 minutes and drain. Repeat process two more times, then cover with 2 tablespoons olive oil and simmer for 20 minutes. Allow to cool. Cut potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks and boil ntil they are fork tender (30 min). Strain and mash potatoes and mix in remaining ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.

horton

Reaction score
Ducasse bakes them on a bed of salt to try and absorb as much moisture as possible. This is done so the potatoes may hold more butter and cream, or for a twist XVOO

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pound of garlic and rosemary mashed fingerling potatoes that I made for a work potluck today! Damn theyre good...so so good..

chas

Reaction score
Lately I have been adding parsnips to my mashed potatoes. I recommend a ratio of 3 to 1 - potatoes to parsnips. They add an extra layer of flavor that is great and they can be used in any type of preperation.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent!! I'm getting hungry just reading this thread.

I prefer the Yukon golds and I add butter, but I've never tried baking them.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of potatoes: Do people in other parts of the US have as few choices as I do in my local stores? The russet, the Idaho, the red and the Yukon, that's all usually, none of them all that palatable, except for the Yukon, perhaps.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Four kinds of potatoes doesn't sound so bad, really. I think our local Whole Foods will often carry more (like fingerlings, blue ones, and a few others); what you describe is the selection I'd expect from a good but not great supermarket.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy