• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The argument for skinny jeans

calogero

Reaction score
Hi all, first-time poster here, and I come bearing thoughts.

I would describe the concept of skinny jeans as one of the most contentious issues in casual male fashion. One extreme consists of fervent supporters, who fervently insist the tighter the better; and in the red corner, there are the opposition who hold that anything slimmer than straight-leg, you may as well be gay.

I'm here to argue that skinny (or at least slim) jeans are not only sartorially sound, but logical.

The best fashion analogy I can offer is the well-cut and well-fitting suit jacket, for the silhouette of the proper suit jacket very closely mirror the male physique.

Its high armholes simulate the large vertical size of the torso before it connects to the arms. The modern jacket tapers in at the midriff, following the contours of the waist as it tapers out once more over the hips. Closely modelling the size of the arm, the sleeves are relatively wide at the armholes then gradually shrink in diameter until their end.

A beautiful garment, logically and faithfully mimicking body shape in order to flatter.

In this way, the notion of skinny or slim jeans is also grounded in logic. Frankenstein abnormalities notwithstanding, the human leg is not anywhere near the same size at the ankle as it is at the thigh - so why have straight or even minimally tapered jeans?

Now: lest this view be challenged into extremes, there is such thing as too much of a good thing. I do not advocate maniacally skinny jeans such as the following:

skinny-jeans.jpg

I believe the above fails because it follows too closely the contours of the leg. The taper must never appear to tighten harshly in on itself, rather being a progressive diminishing in size towards the ankle.

I actually can't find a photo on the web that I think perfectly illustrates this ideal (none of these damn models look as good as me in skinny jeans!). This mediocre pic, which I would actually describe as 'slim' but illustrates the continuous taper, will have to do:

05510-055104174-l.jpg

Voilà my thoughts on the matter. Et vous?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your thoughts are sound, but your example is poor. A skinny jean is what example 1 is. A slim fit jean is what you are describing as a silhouette shaped jean.

calogero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zeemon
-----
Your mother.
Originally Posted by landshark
A skinny jean is what example 1 is. A slim fit jean is what you are describing as a silhouette shaped jean.
I'm not going to lie, I chose the term skinny to bump up the views because 'slim' just sounds too middle-of-the-road to encourage debate. I suppose my preference lies somewhere between the conventions of 'slim' and 'skinny'; a tad tighter through the calf than in the second photo. I disagree that 'skinny' and 'slim' are necessarily always distinct from one another, though; I've witnessed a lot of overlap. The physique of the person wearing the jeans obviously plays a large role, as some people have legs that aren't flattered by, or look out of proportion, in very tight jeans. Also, a pair of jeans labelled 'skinny' may indeed be so on one wearer, but appear more 'slim' on another. Thus, conceptually, perhaps 'skinny' and 'slim' are less shapes of fabric than they are 'looks'.

calogero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
This wasn't worth reading at 3:30am on the toilet suffering through a night of food poisoning
Thanks, happy to be on the forum! What a stellar contribution. Sticky this individual comment, mods?

Hkstyles

Reaction score
man some of you guys are real douchebags, the guy is just trying to view his own opinion.

Zeemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calogero
Your mother.

the ----- wasn't meant as an insult, i just edited the post because, the first thing i wrote didn't make sense, because i was confused and so blown away by the depth of your brilliant argumentation about skinny jeans.
it really changed my whole view on aesthetics, so please keep on posting.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP: You created a thread based on some insight you had. The insight is fine (albiet trite), but the forum doesn't really operate that way.

Spend some time to get a sense the way people do things around here before you ***** about getting flamed for it.

oldSFer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
This wasn't worth reading at 3:30am on the toilet suffering through a night of food poisoning
Stop producing **** like this unless you want more pictars of your ugly face posted you foul-mouthed little **** named Chris.
jdZiPC.jpg

epilepc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zeemon
the ----- wasn't meant as an insult, i just edited the post because, the first thing i wrote didn't make sense, because i was confused and so blown away by the depth of your brilliant argumentation about skinny jeans.
it really changed my whole view on aesthetics, so please keep on posting.

+1

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52