• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savoir

Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
Another day ...
Front:
c4a18eaf.jpg

Back:
6c78239e.jpg

Flawless.
worship.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
... I also think there's some universal principles that apply to any outfit or style. Some kind of overall harmony needs to be present. All elements working together whether there are 6 patterns or just 1. So with that look, I agree that ditching one or two of the louder elements (like a solid suit) would tone it down just enough to be "sharp looking guy in suit with a bit of flair"... But, you could also go the other way.. add more volume... more like Hamish Bowles. So long as all the elements gelled.

Wise words. Hopefully it sinks in. A nice outfit isn't about less patterns, more patterns or a certain number of patterns; it's not objectively measured like that. It's about an overall aesthetic balance and that can theoretically be achieved through a number of approaches. Some are harder than others, of course. This is something I wanted to explore when thinking about matching elements with bold suits a while back.

c4a18eaf.jpg

Neat suit Nii.

Originally Posted by MBreinin
Thank you for inducing a grand mal seizure, Holdfast. That is how I like to start my Mondays, twitching and convulsing on the floor.
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
This tie has caffeine. Liking it!

Not caffeine; lamotrigine, for Mike.
biggrin.gif

I couldn't resist blogging a bit about the tie's pattern.

mjphillips

Reaction score
Huge fan of this pocket square.
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
79ea2197.jpg

Originally Posted by Parker
But, you could also go the other way.. add more volume... more like Hamish Bowles. So long as all the elements gelled. (and it wouldn't cost you your job ;-)

I enjoy Hamish's looks (lewks?) but I think they only tend to work when you're standing next to Anna Wintour.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Boswell
If you can wear jeans during the summer, why not corduroy trousers? Both are sturdy cloths. Just as jeans can be softer and lighter for the summer, there are different types of corduroys that can be worn during different seasons. It is a question of comfort. And I've never found corduroy trousers uncomfortable during the summer.

My objection wasn't based on any seasonal rule, just that the weights of the fabrics don't work together, especially with the heavier fabric on the bottom.

Originally Posted by IST66
2-113-1.jpg

Lovely. I have a very similar shirt that was my favorite for quite some time.

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
830b12e9.jpg

79ea2197.jpg

bf2aeb29.jpg
[/spoiler]

Nice perspectives from whnay and edmorel. Based on my inferences about your work, though, I don't think you've gone too far. I like that you can play on the Spoozy playground and in the conservative business dress office depending on the day. Not dismissing the specific criticisms you get from time to time (which are frequently valid IMO), just saying...

Another day ...
Front:
c4a18eaf.jpg

Back:
6c78239e.jpg

more on the dark side.
Excellent, Nii. Excellent.

On a tangent, can anyone talk about breast pocket position? Even with standard-width lapels, it seem like some makers have the inside corner tucked under the lapel and others have it floating out there on the chest. Is there any history behind this? Regional association? Inquiring minds want to know.

Originally Posted by NOBD
Is it Vox' birthday?

Inside jokes...
frown.gif

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preliminary hearing out in the counties today. Tried to keep it conservative business dress as possible. My right shirt cuff was unbuttoned in this photo, hence it shows more than I'd prefer. I am thinking of slimming these trou by an inch and giving them 2" cuffs; they're a bit stove-pipey for my liking at the moment. Thoughts? Details:

And weekend shots: Red Pants Fun Shirt for the TD Philadelphia International Cycling Championship with obligatory SF Bathroom Shot™ and FaucetDick™. Cheap giveaway sunglasses.

Savoir

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Preliminary hearing out in the counties today. Tried to keep it conservative business dress as possible. My right shirt cuff was unbuttoned in this photo, hence it shows more than I'd prefer. I am thinking of slimming these trou by an inch and giving them 2" cuffs; they're a bit stove-pipey for my liking at the moment. Thoughts?
5805785276_0cef63852c_b.jpg

Slimming these trousers by an inch would benefit the suit indeed. Also, adding a cuff will complement the slight authoritative feel that the colour and pinstripe reflect. Nonetheless, this is a great look for you.
ps. does the word Blashyrkh mean anything to you? Always wondered.
laugh.gif

ctp120

Reaction score
Another day ...
Front:
c4a18eaf.jpg

Back:
6c78239e.jpg

more on the dark side.​

Not crazy about the square, but that's nitpicking an outstanding outfit. You look great nii.

ctp120

Reaction score
Tucked the corner of the square back under the lapel after seeing this pic. Find I'm always having to do that with this suit for some reason.

DSC_0012.jpg

Nelton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Savoir
I like that SC very much, Nelton. Combined with those chinos they make a great base for a summer fit, but I think you would benefit from a slightly less vibrant shirt. How about a light pastel colour, instead?
smile.gif

And although I believe this has been said before, this does look incomplete without a belt. You could also add a pocket square for some sprezz, if you do it the right way. Good luck.

Thanks, it was the first time I've worn the outfit together and wanted to see what worked with the jacket as I only bought it last week. I will certainly be experimenting with it over the summer as I can see that jacket getting alot of wear, as for a belt, what colour? Dark brown, I only have a black belt at the moment as my brown one broke
frown.gif

Cheers Nick

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Cm5GL.jpg

was waiting to post this until the actual online release but I got my Epaulet sportcoat the other day and while I don't have the matching pants yet, I tried it with the deadstock olive pants from last fall and this is the result. probably wouldn't pair these two together otherwise, esp since I'm be getting the navy blazer as well.

ctp120

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
On a tangent, can anyone talk about breast pocket position? Even with standard-width lapels, it seem like some makers have the inside corner tucked under the lapel and others have it floating out there on the chest. Is there any history behind this? Regional association? Inquiring minds want to know.
At least part of it has to do with chest size/lapel shape and the simple logic of how much space there is between the edge of the lapel and the armhole. In bespoke and better RTW the pocket size is perhaps considered more in relation to chest size, though even still, there is a certain range within which the pocket size doesn't look ridiculous. All of these things considered, it then becomes a matter of style/taste, and different traditions and makers have their own preferences, among which there are discernible trends along regional and stylistic lines. I usually prefer a barchetta pocket that tucks under the lapel personally, though I have some older American RTW sportcoats (HF) which are floating, and I still wear them every once in a while. I'm also happy to defer to anyone more knowledgeable out there, but this is what I've observed in my experience anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members