• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco in June

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I call is "Cloud City" or "Bespin". That radial window reminds me of the end of The Empire Strikes Back, when Vader sends Luke flying through a similarly-looking window.

Holy ****! I had a dream last night that I lived with the outcasts of Cloud City - There was a tiny planet, covered with a thick layer of fog, with the City supspended above it, where I lived with these people who were all stupid and marsupialed.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tonga room at the fairmount!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have to admit, I love the Tonga Room. We only go every few years or so, but it's always fun. I would never go to the Top of the Mark. The bar at the Huntington is, indeed, great. The old Redwood Room is very much missed.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy

We were just there with friends to celebrate a birthday. None of us had been there in 20 years. All of us could wait another 20 years to go again......

It is like Disneyland with cocktails.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I always forget the Tonga Room, that's a great suggestion.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Is that the place that rains? Worth a quick drink.
you have to have a sense of humor for the tonga room. it rains ... the bandstand is a thatched hut that "floats" out to the middle of a giant pool when the band is playing. i've never seen anyplace like it.

MyTailorIsRich

Reaction score
+1 on Cask. Huge selection of bitters and amaro's. The only place I know that actually stocks things like Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged bitters or Clement Creole Shrubb Liqueur. All of the Small Hand Foods syrups as well. Plumpjack Wines in Noe Valley on 24th has a huge selection in a tiny store.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any sense in trying or even wanting to try to waitlist at TFL? I am on the other coast, so with minimal planning I can go to Per Se anytime. Also, am looking for a dinner rec for one night in the city. Preferably not seafood-focused. No idea what style.
Originally Posted by lefty
I was talking about whisky. Should have made that clear. Nothing sadder than a thin line of amber liquid in the bottom of glass. I doubt you would need a car and street parking is a serious pain-in-the-ass. There are colour-coordinated curbs and meters and I can't make sense of them. Rent a car for your one day of travel north and use a zipcar/taxi for inner city jaunts. lefty
Color-coordinated curbs? Criminey. I am guessing there are special spaces for the ZipCars, right? By the 'sadder' comment, I guess you felt stiffed by Absinthe? Sorry, that sucks.
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
You don't need a car there if you are staying in the city, except for the big excursions like others have said. BUt I will say I have stayed in the peninsula on business trips and made plenty of trips into the city with no issue parking - a few dinners near Absinthe (at Sebo, which you should REALLY try if you are into sushi, Huntsman - and they are partnered with an awesome Sake shop across the sreet), in the Haight, the Castro, China town, etc. Only Union Square has been a huge issue in my experience (and by that I mean expensive, can't find on the street, etc.)
Cool. Yeah, interested in sushi, but not enough to blow vacation time on it.
Originally Posted by MyTailorIsRich
+1 on Cask. Huge selection of bitters and amaro's. The only place I know that actually stocks things like Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged bitters or Clement Creole Shrubb Liqueur. All of the Small Hand Foods syrups as well. Plumpjack Wines in Noe Valley on 24th has a huge selection in a tiny store.
Oh, now I really want to go. I love my bitters and amaros.
Originally Posted by imatlas
Cask is excellent, particularly for bourbon. Run by the same folks who own B&B. Over on Filmore, D&M has a pretty spectacular single malt selection. K&L is more known for wine, but also has a variety of interesting spirits. Don't rule out hotel bars, there are some decent ones in town. The better hotel bars include the Big Four at the Huntington Hotel for the ultimate clubby feel, and Clock Bar at the St. Francis for excellent cocktails - and prostitutes, most of whom are biologically female. For hotel bars with views you have a few choices: the Top of the Mark at the Mark Hopkins (pricey, but the classic spot), the Grandview Lounge at Grand Hyatt Union Square, or the top floor of the Marriott on 4th and Mission - I don't know it's official name but we call it the Bat Cave.
Coolness on the sprits-shops, thanks! I won't rule out hotel bars generally (or at least not completely), but that's not what I'm here for, at least on this trip.
you have to have a sense of humor for the tonga room. it rains ... the bandstand is a thatched hut that "floats" out to the middle of a giant pool when the band is playing. i've never seen anyplace like it.
Um, yeah. Sounds, um, like, awesome, I think. May just miss that one this trip! ~ H

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll also +1 Alembic for both cocktails and food. And the whole Upper Haight experience.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Any sense in trying or even wanting to try to waitlist at TFL? I am on the other coast, so with minimal planning I can go to Per Se anytime.
For June, Amex concierge should be able to do it no problem.
Also, am looking for a dinner rec for one night in the city. Preferably not seafood-focused. No idea what style. Cool. Yeah, interested in sushi, but not enough to blow vacation time on it.
Sebo is quite transcendental - and IIRC you are from Cleveland - so unless you have been hanging out in Japan or Hawaii - I'd seriously consider it. Other SFO places I've enjoyed recently, Wayfare and Benu (which iammatt will tell you sucked, but I really enjoyed it).

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. White
I always tell visitors to bring a peacoat or lined leather jacket, gloves, and knit cap. If winter, boots too. People feel stupid packing them when it's maybe 100 degrees at home. As with the rest of coastal California, the water is warmest around Labor Day, so that's when water-surrounded San Fran is the warmest.

So for Half Moon Bay at end of May, figure flannels?

Does it ever get warm, or feel balmy?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member