• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I've been trying to lose weight for months with little success

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
The results of these studies are interesting and they do present low carb as a viable (or as one of your papers said "feasable alternative") weight loss strategy (in comparision to other ones), but it's hardly been proven that a calorie restricted, non low carb diet is any less effective in the long term.

As I said in my edited post, the way these studies have been set up by the NIH is to test the viability and safety of low carbohydrate diets compared to conventional weight reducing diets, i.e. low fat. They are not designed to test the hypothesis that it could possibly be the carbohydrates in the diet that cause the fattening in the first place, and by eliminating them, provide an ease of weight loss, and thereby much more effective results--although, they do show promising results. The paucity of research is noticeable, and a lack of funding is partly to blame, but mostly it's the perpetuated low-fat dogma of the last 40 years, and the erroneous saturated fat/heart disease link that is getting in the way of testing this alternative hypothesis.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Where has a low carb diet been proven to be better at these things in the long term?

In order to consume enough protein and fats within a certain range of calories, almost every fat loss diet would have to be low carb - so the debate is completely moot.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321

A typical weekday for me, diet-wise, would be as follows:

7:00am Wake up, drink water, go for a walk.

12:00pm Salad of greens with a vinaigrette, and usually salmon or other lean protein.

3:00pm Handful of nuts, or occasional slice of cheese.

6:00pm Duck breast, porterhouse, or other ***** protein source; sautÃ
00a9.png
ed spinach, kale, or broccoli; maybe some other non-starchy vegetable; and a salad.

This is more of a starvation diet than what i recommended... eating nothing until noon is marsupialed.. breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
You need food to get your metabolism going. Your diet would be more effective if you had your dinner at 6AM.

You were ragging on me that a 1500 calorie day is insufficient, your diet doesn't even reach that.
By eating small amounts of food at regular intervals your metabolism will stay active all day, rather then going dormant, and then into overdrive when it finally receives some food.

And, no, your diet is not sustainable.. do you really expect to eat like this the rest of your life? Fringe diets are always passing fads. They work in the short term, but aren't sustainable.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by habitant
You were ragging on me that a 1500 calorie day is insufficient, your diet doesn't even reach that.
By eating small amounts of food at regular intervals your metabolism will stay active all day, rather then going dormant, and then into overdrive when it finally receives some food.

Your metabolism doesn't work that way.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is more of a starvation diet than what i recommended... eating nothing until noon is marsupialed.. breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You need food to get your metabolism going. Your diet would be more effective if you had your dinner at 6AM.
So all this time I've been starving, yet I haven't felt hungry or deprived once since starting the diet? Explain to me why breakfast is the most important meal of the day? Why do I need to get my "metabolism going"?
You were ragging on me that a 1500 calorie day is insufficient, your diet doesn't even reach that. By eating small amounts of food at regular intervals your metabolism will stay active all day, rather then going dormant, and then into overdrive when it finally receives some food.
I don't count calories, but I can tell you I am getting more than 1500 a day. 60% of my diet is fat. Isocalorically, small meals at regular intervals vs. one or two meals of the same caloric quantity, has never been proven to differentiate in any effect on your metabolism. This is known as the Thermic effect of food (TEF).
And, no, your diet is not sustainable.. do you really expect to eat like this the rest of your life? Fringe diets are always passing fads.
My diet is sustainable. Do you want to know why? It's ******* delicious, and I'm never hungry. So, yes, I do plan to eat like this for the rest of my life.
They work in the short term, but aren't sustainable.
This is a good description of the diet you yourself are advocating.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever works.
Listen, I'm not trying to attack you, just simply put some of these preconceived notions of a healthy and effective weight loss diet to rest. If you would like to support your opinions, I'd be happy to debate them, but don't just make unsubstantiated claims because it's what you heard on the Today Show or read on Yahoo Health. At first, I can understand that it may be hard for you to believe some of what I've set fourth here, but that is only because everything you've heard in the mainstream advocates the opposite. We've told Americans exactly what you are saying here: to eat less fat, lower their calories, and exercise more, and as a result, we've grown fatter as a nation because of it.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
We've told Americans exactly what you are saying here: to eat less fat, lower their calories, and exercise more, and as a result, we've grown fatter as a nation because of it.
I have no idea if your overall theory is valid, but this is some specious reasoning. Americans are not fat because they eat too little fat and too few calories and exercise too much, nor because they were told they should do these things. Also, I would absolutely hate to exist on your diet as would most people who enjoy food and cooking, I imagine. Extremism of one kind or another is the real enemy of health, I suspect.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm only advocating for moderation.

p.s. On a balanced diet, with regular exercise it would be impossible to gain weight.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think mm's diet, which you upheld as an example, is moderate, especially for an obese person who is simply trying to gain control of his health.

Just considering the serious interruption it would have on most people's social life makes it extreme, let alone the food cravings, etc.

Edited for clarity.

corneliusparky

Reaction score
Dieting and exercise is such a personal thing. Are you eating to lose weight or to feel good? To me, not eating from 7pm until noon the next day sounds really not fun. And eating 2.5 meals a day in a 6 hour period out of the day seems kinda odd. But if it works for you, more power. I lost 30 pounds from 175 to 145 in about 3-4 months by eating frequent smaller meals, not combining meat with bread and pasta and avoiding dessert. No hard exercise, just went for a walk once every other day. I didn't do it to lose the weight (in some ways I originally preferred not to lose that much weight), I did it to feel better. I sleep better, I don't want to nap after lunch, my mood is better and I look 10 years younger.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
In order to consume enough protein and fats within a certain range of calories, almost every fat loss diet would have to be low carb - so the debate is completely moot.

It's only moot in the sense that no one is suggesting to eat a diet of 100% carbs, but there is a big difference between eating a low carb ketogenic diet (50g of carbs) versus a more moderate consumption of carbs where one gets adequate amounts of proteins and fats.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
I don't think your diet, which you upheld as an example, is moderate, especially for an obese person who is simply trying to gain control of his health.

Until a weight goal has been reached, measures have to be taken to reduce fat.
Once that is done your diet would have to be balanced .

An obese person has massive amounts of energy stored in the ***** tissue. That needs to be spent.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meenakhsi