1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I've been trying to lose weight for months with little success

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by GITU, Apr 23, 2009.

1. HenryFlower

HenryFlower Senior member

Read the "4 hour body" by Tim Ferriss and check out www.leangains.com

That should help a lot. The way you look is 60-70% diet

Reading through this semi-trainwreck of a thread, I want to:

1) Endorse LeanGains (I've dropped 23 lbs and gained muscle over a couple of months). 4HB/slow carb works as well. But see below in the "pick the diet that works for you" point.
    2) Encourage you not to get distracted by usual diet wars stuff going on.

First, some fact bombs:

a) Diet is going to have a much larger impact than anything else you do, particularly cardio. For deets:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...ss-part-2.html

b) The main reason to exercise is to keep/grow muscle during your diet. If you drop muscle during a diet, it is going to be that much harder to maintain afterwards.

c) The only kind of exercise that helps you keep/grow muscle is weight training. Sorry. Walking, light bike riding, light swimming and other forms of low impact, low stress exercise will help at the margins. But only at the margins.

d) Plyometrics? At your BW? That's like swinging a hammer at your knees. Either that, or you're doing it wrong.

e) The best diet is the one that works for you. If that's very low carb + ketosis, great. If that's the mediterranean diet, wonderful. If it's a vegetarian/Ornish diet, fab (except that you are going to have a hard time eating enough protein). If it's the twinkie diet, meh, but dropping fat will do much more for your health than whatever your diet is, so if it's working, you will be getting healthier.

f) The most important thing to monitor is total calories. Second most is total protein. The Slow Carb (Tim Ferris 4HB) diet works primarily because it's a high protein diet. Lyle McDonald's (see links above) Rapid Fat Loss diet is a high protein diet. The LeanGains approach is a high protein diet. Protein helps hunger, has a higher "thermal effect/burn rate" and thus lowers calories actually absorbed, and helps maintain lean body mass. Good all around. A diet that consists only of lean meats and green vegetables will drop the weight off like crazy (Tim Ferris adds beans to this mix).

g) +1000 to FitDay and other food logging strategies. +1000 to doing a clean sweep of crap

h) Fasting (as in LeanGains) works. Leptin/Grehlin mumbojumbo is probably the reason why, but it works. But (f) above is the key point.

So to sum up:

1) Total calories and total protein is thing one. Focus 75% of your effort there. FitDay, food logging, etc. will help you stay on track.
    2) Weight training does good things. Sad for you but true. Focus 15% of your effort there.
    3) The other 10%: slow slow cardio (walking, swimming, light bike riding). Fasting. Worrying about being in ketosis, when you eat carbs, other shit that might help, might hurt.

One more thing: It's completely possible to get down to a good bodyweight. It's even possible to get down to crazy lean levels. But it's going to require a long time to get there. No quick fixes, just long term good habits.

2. syracuse1976

syracuse1976 Senior member

Yes, among other things. It has stimulating effects, with diminished appetite very common.

3. bmac11c

bmac11c Senior member

zazaza,

I work with a trainer and he "tapes" me at different points of my body with a measuring tape. Then he calculates the Body Fat % with some chart. It's not the most accurate, but it gives me an idea as to the fat I am losing.

Bmac

londonchris and bmac11c,
    that is some awesome progress guys!
    pretty much everyone I know who's on the program has had great results. thats really encouraging.

bmac, do you mind me asking how you monitor your BF percentages? thats one area I haven't really been paying attention to. Its frustrating because when I say I've gone down 30lbs on the program, i've also been getting a lot stronger and have a pretty good lifting regimen going. I'd like to know how much overall fat lbs have been dropped and how much muscle has been added. Just the number on the scale doesn't tell the whole picture.

I'll admit that throughout the whole thing I really haven't changed my drinking habits and still drink all the time. my goal over the next month is to drastically reduce my alcohol intake. will be interesting to see how my results change.

4. bmac11c

bmac11c Senior member

I forgot to mention that I have changed my lifestyle in terms of how I eat. I try not to consume processed food (just about everything is!), I don't drink soda, I stopped drinking beer, no white carbs and I feel great! When I was a disgusting fat body, I used to get acid reflux really BAD, especially when I was sleeping. When I changed my diet, this came to a HALT!

So, the Ferriss diet I'm on is ONLY TO LOSE FAT! Then I can go into maintain mode and eat more complex carbs and more fruits. If my weight goes back up, then I go back to the Fat Burning diet. I know it's not for everyone, but it works great for me.

Bmac

5. habitant

habitant Senior member

isn't that an anti-depressant?
    whats the connection...

Bupropion (wellbutrin) is sold as an anti-smoking pill. I tried it before... it basically cuts your craving for everything, I guess that includes food.

Makes you feel like a zombie though.

6. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

Bupropion (wellbutrin) is sold as an anti-smoking pill. I tried it before... it basically cuts your craving for everything, I guess that includes food.

Makes you feel like a zombie though.

sounds terrible.

7. habitant

habitant Senior member

sounds terrible.

The better of two evils perhaps?

8. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

The better of two evils perhaps?

sorry, yes absolutely, if it helped you get off nicotine, then thats great.

I've just been on medications in the past that gave me that out of it/zombie feeling and I absolutely hated it.
    I'd rather feel something instead of nothing

9. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

There already is a perfectly safe chemical that reduces appetite with very few significant sides - caffeine. A cup of black coffee in the morning can suppress hunger for several hours.

People who don't have the self-discipline to put their fork down have to be the weakest people on the planet!

10. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

People who don't have the self-discipline to put their fork down have to be the weakest people on the planet!

This statement is wrong, on many levels.

11. HenryFlower

HenryFlower Senior member

[​IMG]
    This is only (barely) helpful if you've been fat before and have learned how to develop the "self-discipline." If you are a naturally skinny person, it's remarkably clueless.

12. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

[​IMG]
    This is only (barely) helpful if you've been fat before and have learned how to develop the "self-discipline." If you are a naturally skinny person, it's remarkably clueless.

It has absolutely nothing to do with self-discipline or will power. No one is choosing to overeat, and certainly, no one is choosing to be obese.

13. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

This statement is wrong, on many levels.

+ a billion

14. stever

stever Senior member

It has absolutely nothing to do with self-discipline or will power. No one is choosing to overeat, and certainly, no one is choosing to be obese.

well, outside of bigguts