• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stove-top Sous Vide

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, honestly, I've never cooked duck before either. I always felt it was something best left up to the pros. Few things are worse than poorly cooked duck. This was a rousing success. The duck was great, succulent & juicy, with a crispy skin. It was relatively easy to keep the temp at 135F once I got it there on the low setting on my stove. The temp dropped once during the cooking, because I turned on the ceiling fan. I don't really have any suggestions - it was pretty easy. I made a peach faux-gastrique to go with it. 1 part sherry vinegar, 2 parts peach preserves, and 3 parts chicken stock, pinch of cayenne. Delicious. Also steamed some asparagus. Pics Fresh out of the water bath:
5544556375_10f0d4f8b1.jpg
After sauteing:
5544556387_68542d56c6.jpg
Closeup:
5544556365_75d037623b.jpg
Cut, before saucing:
5544556383_732ca450d1.jpg
How does the doneness look? My instant read put it at 136 after crisping the skin. It looks a bit overdone in the picture, but we both thought it tasted fine. Also, apologies for the quick pictures of the done breasts. I was trying to be quick and take pics in the 2 minutes they rested. I'll probably be trying some other stuff this way soon - steak for sure, probably chicken. I saw a cool post on a blog about a sous vide hamburger, so I may try that as well.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I actually like my duck a tad rarer than what you have there, but it looks pretty good, nonetheless. You've inspired me to try this stove-top vide vide method for myself next weekend.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Awesome! I actually like my duck a tad rarer than what you have there, but it looks pretty good, nonetheless. You've inspired me to try this stove-top vide vide method for myself next weekend.
I think the flash lightened it up a little. It was still pretty red in natural light. I didn't feel like messing around with the lighting because it was time to eat.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I have the same type of sous chef. The kind that just sits and stares at you the whole time you're cooking waiting for something to drop on the floor.
sounds a hell of a lot more like an executive chef in that case.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ducksousvide.jpg
Wish it was a bit more rare than this, but still pretty good. I think a problem was I was taking the temperature mostly at the top of the water with a meat thermometor (combined with a candy thermometor to double check) while the duck breast sat on the bottom of the pot, so it was a few degrees hotter down there, a fact that I missed until the last part of cooking. Like KJT said though, it's still not as done as the pictures seem to indicate; poor lighting + Droid camera = not good at capturing color.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm trying my first Crus de Beaujolais with a 2009 Georges Duboef Fleurie.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
sounds a hell of a lot more like an executive chef in that case.

lol8[1].gif

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't use a vacuum sealer. I used just a big Ziploc freezer bag. I sealed all but the corner, submerged it until only that corner stuck out, then sealed it. Got basically all the air out.

TheButler

Reaction score
What's the shotgun for? You expecting one of the little buggers to get up on those stumpy legs and run off?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
How does the doneness look? My instant read put it at 136 after crisping the skin. It looks a bit overdone in the picture, but we both thought it tasted fine.
The doneness looks great. THat's the beauty of sous vide... it's a consistent color all the way through, so mid-rare doesn't mean raw center/over-cooked near the skin.. .it's just mid-rare all the way through. Plus, how did it taste? That's the true gauge.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheButler
What's the shotgun for? You expecting one of the little buggers to get up on those stumpy legs and run off?

Believe it or not, that's a photo from the foodsaver website. The machine I have is listed as the "game master" or something.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52