• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Picking up the perfect non-stick pan

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I have asked here once and someone was able to link me to a website (appreciate it), but at the moment I am still trying to help the family find a reliable non-sitck pan for cooking purposes:

• Poultry
  • Eggs
  • Vegetables
  • Stir fry
  • Etc.

Here is a photo of what is currently being utilized. It is actually on the heavy side and cleaning up is a pain. As you can see from photo, a lot of water is used in order to let it soak over night.

Everything sticks to the pan, pot stickers, fish, rice cake, etc. Really fragile food can be torn up to pieces as it sticks and you cannot turn it about to cook it evenly.

At this point price is not of concern and just looking for a pan that is fairly deep and wide at the bottom as we have an electric stove top. Also, a pan that does not take a lot of oil for it to be "non-stick".

I am not familiar with cookware so if all the seasoned cooks in here can help me out please. I can proxy or shop online if there are suggestions. I also live in the Bay Area so I can stop into stores. I doubt there are any around here though.

Edit: And in order to broaden my understanding, anyone care to name some of the mid to higher tier stuff? Not be a snob but I rather pickup something real nice than another bad pan

Quick Google search yields this but who knows?? I certainly do not

Edit: This was the former suggestion

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Edit2: Also a pan that you can use other objects to stir without a problem i.e. scratch resistance? No enamel? Complete stainless steel so the surface is resistance to all stirring utensils

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is another we really like but again it sticks a lot. Cleaning is a breeze though as we can use anything to wipe and scrub it without scratching the surface so even if it sticks, there is no problem with the cleanup.

Perhaps we are looking for a wok?

I believe the main criteria is:
Non-stick and easy clean up i.e. surface is resistant to scratching

Is there such thing? I believe that for non-stick, one should use non-stick pan and clean it with a gentler cloth & scrub.

Last edited:

N. McKay

Reaction score
I really like the ceramic-lined pans from Paderno, and I see from the link in your first post above that they're now dishwasher safe. They definitely stand up better than Teflon and they seem to produce a better sear (but not quite as good as cast iron).

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a cooking supplies thread, I can't remember the title, but it what some good information. You might find that useful.

I don't cook much and have done no research but what about all-clad?

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about cast iron?

This. I realize OP specifically said "non-stick," but a cast iron skillet will do damn near anything non-stick will do and you can use metal implements on it.

Only downsides: they take a while to heat up and cool down, and if it ever gets inadvertently "cleaned" by a well-meaning friend you might cry.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a restaurant supply shop and pick up some non stick frying pans. Don't pay top dollar for All-Clad, Calphalon and the other big brans; all of the coated non-stick pans eventually get nasty. It's just a matter of time. Plan to use the pans for a while and to replace them as needed.

Buy a high quality wok for stir fries and season it well. If you follow the directions, you will be fine. The same holds for seasoned cast iron. periodically, you may need to re-season a wok or a cast iron piece. Mineral (blue) steel is the same as cast iron.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even the best non stick pans are going to stick if you don't use as adequate amount of oil and apparently if the oil hits the pan too soon and if the food hits the oil too soon.

That being said Japanese iwachu cast iron is my go to. Blue carbon steel is great value (also theyre not the same. cast iron is iron that has been melted and casted. Carbon steel is steel with a high proportion of carbon) You just need to season both. Also both are much heavier than most non stick pans.

Tbh if you're looking for hassle free and cheap I'd go to a restaurant supply store for some non stick pans otherwise something like all clad on amazon. The disadvantage is the non stick coating will wear off over time but it's not that easy. It will last you a long time if you take care of it and don't scrape the pan with metal tongs and forks. The scare of coating coming off easily is overwrought. Even with metal utensil scraping it won't disappear that easily. I've seen pepin make omelettes in a non stick pan with a metal fork

Last edited:

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a wok is not very useful if you don't have the burner and BTUs to use it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads