• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you make money doing the thing you love?

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Same here. The issue for me is that what I love doing doesn't pay very well at all. And, I love doing many things, but none are the sort of thing that provides a stable flow of lucre.

Same here. I love film, ice hockey, travelling, the arts, food, etc.

Anything in there pay well (aside from hockey which, unfortunately, I'm not talented enough to play professionally)?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sort of. I'm in the right field/industry, but my actual position isn't the most thrilling.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Sort of. I'm in the right field/industry, but my actual position isn't the most thrilling.

Let me guess:

Industry: Adult entertainment
Position: Fluffer

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gotta start somewhere.
frown.gif

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Don't like what I do, but it pays well enough that I have plenty of F/O time.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
There are very few professionals whose jobs I'm envious of, but tennis pros at filthy rich country clubs in the suburbs of Philadelphia would be one of them.

christinedaae

Reaction score
I do now. Everyday is a weekday to me now, seriously I could care less what day it is. But to get to the point, I had to do something for about almost a decade that I would cry sometimes I hated it so much. But sometimes you just have to do what has to be done to get where you want to get.

skywalker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
I sell industrial dumpsters. what do you think?!?! haha

on a related note, my father has been "working for the man" for the past 25 years. He was a full time musician and a few years after i was born he got a day job and quit playing full time. Well, last week he quit his office job to take a contract playing music full time. more money, half the hours, and he's finally doing what he was born to do. needless to say im prud of the feller. A career change at 50 years old.

what a profession.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
I sell industrial dumpsters. what do you think?!?! haha

what I sell isn't much more exciting, in terms of a product. I love my work because of the intellectual challenges - B2B selling of big ticket items is like a complex chess game with large amounts of money involved, in my case, you throw in the international aspect and it becomes even more challenging.

wootx

Reaction score
I've purposely chosen a field I have no interest in, fearing I wouldn't have liked what I used to love anymore oncedoing it for a living. Will see how it turns out.

housie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
what I sell isn't much more exciting, in terms of a product. I love my work because of the intellectual challenges - B2B selling of big ticket items is like a complex chess game with large amounts of money involved, in my case, you throw in the international aspect and it becomes even more challenging.

Can I ask how you got into that sort of sales? Did you start out selling paper or something?

Milpool

Reaction score
Any semblance of passion or love for my career has been thoroughly and brutally beaten out of me over the years. Ultimately, I have realized that I wasted my life, and that quite possibly, the decisions I made as early as undergrad have forced me into a life that I may not be able to escape, and thus, I'll live a miserable life.

My attempts to leave the industry have been met by interviewers with serious doubts about whether or not I am capable of doing anything else.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by housie
Can I ask how you got into that sort of sales? Did you start out selling paper or something?

I had a skill, and taught that skill to people buying relevant equipment, then I got involved in the business side of the selling. once I had been selling that for a while, I shifted to something else, then again and again.

in my case, I tried to get a lot of experience in different territories, which helped me out.

Stylego

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
Any semblance of passion or love for my career has been thoroughly and brutally beaten out of me over the years. Ultimately, I have realized that I wasted my life, and that quite possibly, the decisions I made as early as undergrad have forced me into a life that I may not be able to escape, and thus, I'll live a miserable life.

My attempts to leave the industry have been met by interviewers with serious doubts about whether or not I am capable of doing anything else.

You must be an engineer...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member