Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do you make money doing the thing you love?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by gladhands, Mar 18, 2011.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I am still in search of a position that will pay me to drink fine wine and spirits while eating at two and three Michelin star restaurants. I have yet to find a patron but am still searching so please let me know if you hear of something.

I've had both of these jobs separately, but am not yet able to find a way to put them together. [​IMG]

2. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Just turned down an offer of 3X what I am making now. I must be insane.

-

3. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

-

money is a great servant but a terrible master [​IMG]

4. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Are you a pilot?

What gave it away?

5. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

-

"You are rich if and only if money you refuse tastes better than money you accept."

Nassim Taleb

6. Yooxaddict73

Yooxaddict73 Well-Known Member

No one paid me for sex yet ,so No.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

No one paid me for sex yet ,so No.

I was waiting for this reply [​IMG]

8. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Short answer: NO!

I like my work very much but it's far from being my "passion". Which is fine with me, by the way. I truly enjoy having a work life that is separate from my interests and hobbies outside of work. I think it's good to have that type of separation.

9. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

Yes. Not as my primary income, that would be my student loans and scholarships, but as a secondary income. I'm a coach at the local yacht club, teaching kids how to sail, and I love seeing their progress and how they evolve during a season. So yes, I do make money doing something that I love.

10. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I most definitely don't love what I do for a living. I'm going to back to school to finish my PhD next year and I wouldn't stay at my current job for 5 times what I make now!

11. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Currently, no. My biggest fear is investing years into something I end up hating. My 2nd biggest is what I'm doing now: drifting aimlessly. Finished University, and I have the grades for pretty much anything. I have no desire to do med-school, and the same goes for law. (SF makes it sound like a horrible place to end up anyway haha). I've been thinking about doing Business School in a few years... I'm less interested in business, but I like the concept of actually having a skill set that will let me go where I want.... unlike my current social science degree.

Those of you who managed this work/love combination... I'm entirely jealous. Was it lucky happenstance? Or did you know what you loved... and made a career from it?

Grades to do pretty much anything, with a degree in social science? lol.

12. sofaking9000

sofaking9000 Well-Known Member

Currently, no. My biggest fear is investing years into something I end up hating. My 2nd biggest is what I'm doing now: drifting aimlessly. Finished University, and I have the grades for pretty much anything. I have no desire to do med-school, and the same goes for law. (SF makes it sound like a horrible place to end up anyway haha). I've been thinking about doing Business School in a few years... I'm less interested in business, but I like the concept of actually having a skill set that will let me go where I want.... unlike my current social science degree.

Those of you who managed this work/love combination... I'm entirely jealous. Was it lucky happenstance? Or did you know what you loved... and made a career from it?

How does one go to med school with a social science degree?
    Did you complete all the Mcat pre-reqs?

13. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

How does one go to med school with a social science degree?
    Did you complete all the Mcat pre-reqs?

My mother got an MD after taking a history degree. A few summer courses at Harvard filled in the requirements that she didn't have.

Other people do post-bac years at places like Bryn Mawr College.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

No, I make money doing something I seem to be relatively good at. I like my job but I would be lying if I said I'm doing what I love.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

No, I make money doing something I seem to be relatively good at. I like my job but I would be lying if I said I'm doing what I love.
    Same here. The issue for me is that what I love doing doesn't pay very well at all. And, I love doing many things, but none are the sort of thing that provides a stable flow of lucre.