Do you make money doing the thing you love?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by gladhands, Mar 18, 2011.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I am still in search of a position that will pay me to drink fine wine and spirits while eating at two and three Michelin star restaurants. I have yet to find a patron but am still searching so please let me know if you hear of something.

I've had both of these jobs separately, but am not yet able to find a way to put them together. [​IMG]

2. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Just turned down an offer of 3X what I am making now. I must be insane.

-

3. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

-

money is a great servant but a terrible master [​IMG]

4. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Are you a pilot?

What gave it away?

5. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

-

"You are rich if and only if money you refuse tastes better than money you accept."

Nassim Taleb

6. Yooxaddict73

Yooxaddict73 Well-Known Member

No one paid me for sex yet ,so No.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

No one paid me for sex yet ,so No.

I was waiting for this reply [​IMG]

8. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Short answer: NO!

I like my work very much but it's far from being my "passion". Which is fine with me, by the way. I truly enjoy having a work life that is separate from my interests and hobbies outside of work. I think it's good to have that type of separation.

9. henrikc

henrikc Senior member

Yes. Not as my primary income, that would be my student loans and scholarships, but as a secondary income. I'm a coach at the local yacht club, teaching kids how to sail, and I love seeing their progress and how they evolve during a season. So yes, I do make money doing something that I love.

10. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I most definitely don't love what I do for a living. I'm going to back to school to finish my PhD next year and I wouldn't stay at my current job for 5 times what I make now!

11. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Currently, no. My biggest fear is investing years into something I end up hating. My 2nd biggest is what I'm doing now: drifting aimlessly. Finished University, and I have the grades for pretty much anything. I have no desire to do med-school, and the same goes for law. (SF makes it sound like a horrible place to end up anyway haha). I've been thinking about doing Business School in a few years... I'm less interested in business, but I like the concept of actually having a skill set that will let me go where I want.... unlike my current social science degree.

Those of you who managed this work/love combination... I'm entirely jealous. Was it lucky happenstance? Or did you know what you loved... and made a career from it?

Grades to do pretty much anything, with a degree in social science? lol.

12. sofaking9000

sofaking9000 Well-Known Member

Currently, no. My biggest fear is investing years into something I end up hating. My 2nd biggest is what I'm doing now: drifting aimlessly. Finished University, and I have the grades for pretty much anything. I have no desire to do med-school, and the same goes for law. (SF makes it sound like a horrible place to end up anyway haha). I've been thinking about doing Business School in a few years... I'm less interested in business, but I like the concept of actually having a skill set that will let me go where I want.... unlike my current social science degree.

Those of you who managed this work/love combination... I'm entirely jealous. Was it lucky happenstance? Or did you know what you loved... and made a career from it?

How does one go to med school with a social science degree?
    Did you complete all the Mcat pre-reqs?

13. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

How does one go to med school with a social science degree?
    Did you complete all the Mcat pre-reqs?

My mother got an MD after taking a history degree. A few summer courses at Harvard filled in the requirements that she didn't have.

Other people do post-bac years at places like Bryn Mawr College.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

No, I make money doing something I seem to be relatively good at. I like my job but I would be lying if I said I'm doing what I love.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

No, I make money doing something I seem to be relatively good at. I like my job but I would be lying if I said I'm doing what I love.
    Same here. The issue for me is that what I love doing doesn't pay very well at all. And, I love doing many things, but none are the sort of thing that provides a stable flow of lucre.