• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grant Hill goes in

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
+1. I also liked his little jab at the end "I'm also proud I never lost a game to the fab five."
Yeah, that one probably stung more than anything else that Hill wrote. ZING!

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the-truce.jpg

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that was hilarious!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great documentary, even my wife watched it.

It was clear to me that he was talking in a past sense. I never questioned if he felt it in the present.

It was nice to hear about how Dook was perceived. I always thought they went after strait laced players and who can question the success? He has the right to recruit anyone he wants. And since he can pick and choose why would he want to take risks? Honestly, would you?

For example, look how Rose was caught in that house and how C Webb was indited... facts. Don't recall any stuff like that at Dook.

In all honesty, College sports is a cesspool (SMU??) and I am no Dook fan, but again, you can blame the results, they turn out pretty good kids.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Great documentary, even my wife watched it. It was clear to me that he was talking in a past sense. I never questioned if he felt it in the present. It was nice to hear about how Dook was perceived. I always thought they went after strait laced players and who can question the success? He has the right to recruit anyone he wants. And since he can pick and choose why would he want to take risks? Honestly, would you? For example, look how Rose was caught in that house and how C Webb was indited... facts. Don't recall any stuff like that at Dook. In all honesty, College sports is a cesspool (SMU??) and I am no Dook fan, but again, you can blame the results, they turn out pretty good kids.
^think about incoming freshman super recruit: Austin Rivers - comes from a rich family? check! - well educated? Check! - superior genes? CHECK!!(yup son of a NBA player and "half white too!") - well spoken? check - blue chip talent! CHECK!! - cool name that sounds ridiculously WASPY? Check!
Austin_Rivers.jpg
1159391010_0446.jpg
Austin Rivers may be the most perfect Duke recruit ever... ever since Grant Hill!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD

1159391010_0446.jpg

Doc's wife needs a style check on her flip flops

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3/5 of the fab five are a good reason to put an education before bball. i think jimmy king just parked my car.

guster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
I thought of Rose's comments from a different perspective. I thought the comment was more directed at Coach K's recruiting tendencies rather it just being about Grant Hill. The reality is that Coach K tends to recruit very specific players that he feels will fit into the hand system. These players tend to be very different from players of the Jalen Rose mold.

Isn't this what a growing number of college programs do? With so much exposure being put on those programs that have kids often running into trouble, I see many more coaches talking about "character". I think this applies to all races.

Of course there are still many coaches that want to win at all costs and don't care what kind of kids they recruit as long as they have talent.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
^think about incoming freshman super recruit:

Austin Rivers

- comes from a rich family? check!
- well educated? Check!
- superior genes? CHECK!!(yup son of a NBA player and "half white too!")
- well spoken? check
- blue chip talent! CHECK!!
- cool name that sounds ridiculously WASPY? Check!

Austin Rivers may be the most perfect Duke recruit ever... ever since Grant Hill!

His brother, Jeremiah, is a senior at Indiana and played his last game a week ago. He did okay, but wasn't nearly as talented as one would have thought he'd be.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"goes in on", isn't everyone now saying "goes H.A.M. on".

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
3/5 of the fab five are a good reason to put an education before bball. i think jimmy king just parked my car.

You mean 2/5, right?

Originally Posted by guster
Isn't this what a growing number of college programs do? With so much exposure being put on those programs that have kids often running into trouble, I see many more coaches talking about "character". I think this applies to all races.

Of course there are still many coaches that want to win at all costs and don't care what kind of kids they recruit as long as they have talent.

John Calipari clearly doesn't care. There's a few things going on that make today's environment much more complicated. If you take a program like Duke, yes, Coach K is going to be very picky about recruiting quality "character" people that still allows him to get very high quality talent players as well. But Duke is probably only one of maybe 10 schools in the whole country that can do this. Most schools, however are going to recruit the best talent they can.

Making things more complicated is how the NBA draft has changed over the past 20 years. Now instead of going after one of the ten best players in the country you may be better off looking at 25-50. These players are going to be almost as good, and you will probably be able to keep them for three or four years.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priyadimply