• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brushing dress shoes after wear and keep mirror shine?

badbeat808

Reaction score
Hi

I have always heard, that you should brush your dress shoes/GYW often, like before and after each wear. But I have also heard, that you shouldn't brush your toe cap if you have put a mirror shine there, which I have.

These advices contractdict each other. So my question is, which I should follow and how do I avoid dust and other things from the toe cap if I can't brush it?

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mirror shine will basically come off after a day of wear. so brush after use, and the next time you want a mirror shine, take an extra 15 min to mirror shine the toe box

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My advise would be to use a cleaning brush (horsehair/wild boar) to clean the body of the shoe, and use a polishing brush (Yak or Goat) to clean the toe cap and heel as to preserve any existing shine.

BoydsShoes

Reaction score
Hi

I have always heard, that you should brush your dress shoes/GYW often, like before and after each wear. But I have also heard, that you shouldn't brush your toe cap if you have put a mirror shine there, which I have.

These advices contractdict each other. So my question is, which I should follow and how do I avoid dust and other things from the toe cap if I can't brush it?
I don’t see a problem brushing after each use.

That said, I don’t, but I do try.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Since COVID-19, I have been doing this:

Use a damp cloth with diluted Dettol disinfectant (1:100) to wipe the upper of my shoes and the soles. Then I use the same piece of cloth to clean the soles.

After that, use a piece of damp cloth with just tap water (soft water in my city) to wipe the upper again. The point is to get rid of the Dettol disinfectant before it dries to leave residues on the upper.

Then I put shoes on the shelf - the bottom of the shelf is lined by a diatomaceous earth bath mat for moisture absorption and evaporation from the leather soles.

My shoes remain quite shiny and their soles quite robust, without any ill effects from Dettol / water / sitting on the mat. The shine doesn’t go away with the wiping down. Not sure if they meet your expectations for mirror shine - but they are okay for me personally.

3BDF7F9A-FE3F-4E2D-880E-EFA9EC5CB27F.jpeg 9E6523EA-8039-4135-81C6-B2CA50736B3A.jpeg CD0C852D-45B9-4847-84CA-8E03D6ABD7EB.jpeg IMG_5922.jpeg

William Kazak

Reaction score
I recently purchased a tan pair of new Florsheim wingtips from an eBay seller. They are not the quality leather of any of my Church's which I had purchased before Prada. I don't mind brushing them after every use to remove any dirt or dust. I use shoe trees and shoe bags afterwards. I conditioned the leather, polished and waxed them. Yet, they are still Florsheim and not Church's quality leather

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blahblah1776