• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DB WITH NOTCHED LAPELS?

dstarz

Reaction score
Hey All!

A very Happy Holiday season to everyone out there; stay safe and have fun!

So, not too long ago, in a thrift store, I was fortunate enough to come across a beautifully made Yves St. Laurent, made in France, black double-breasted suit. It really is well made: Lots of hand-work, great material, floating canvas, etc. etc. I have no idea as to it's age, but the "made in France" label leads me to believe it's pretty old. It fits like a glove, but...it has notched lapels. Now, I have owned, worn, and enjoyed many DB's over the years, and love them; they have all had peaked lapels, as is the norm. Now, there is nothing about this suit, save for the lapels, that is off. In fact, the lapels kind of make it unique; but they also make it look a bit...boxy? Odd? I dunno. Anyway, recently, a man who is a professional style-consultant in Beverly Hills gave it his seal of approval; he actually liked it. Could I ask anyone who has interest to weigh in here? What with the Holiday Season upon us, I'd really like to wear it, but am a tad self-conscious. Again: Fabric, workmanship, condition, fit...it's all there. I could wear it with confidence, but I'm really curious as to what my fellow-menswear enthusiasts opine.

Thanks for your time and best wishes to you all for the best season ever!

DS.

St1X

Reaction score
If it has wide notch lapels I think it might work if you'll wear the suit and not the other way around. At the end of the day it's always about how you rock it.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Notched lapels with a double breasted jacket would look odd.

Over 50 years ago my Dad I I were watching TV News
and he pointed out that the British ex Prime Minister was wearing a double-
breasted suit with notch lapels. My Dad was quite clothes conscious and dressed
very well in a conservative/ trad style and noticed such details. I looked for photos
of Eden online after the post and could find none. In any case, you are in good
company for eden was regarded as very well- dressed in his day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads