• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grant Hill goes in

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i saw the fab 5 espn film and i gathered the same thing. they were just being honest about how they felt at the time and the thoughts they had. Jalen rose is no where as ignorant as the topic suggests and i like his commentary on sports he has one of the coolest and most sensible heads in media.
it was a great program. made me tear up a little near the end. jimmy king's commentary was very powerful. he had some great words and a great way of speaking that hit you emotionally.

+1. I also saw the film and this is the way I took Rose's comments. He was very frank about his immature 18-19 year old self, including admitting that, to the Fab Five, Ohio State was the "F**keyes". My only objection to the film was their rationalizing accepting cash...oh, and his claim that Christian Laettner had game after all.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
Jalen rose is no where as ignorant as the topic suggests and i like his commentary on sports he has one of the coolest and most sensible heads in media.
Jalen's a cool ass dude. I actually met him at a bar in downtown LA about 6 months ago. He was trying to hit on a girl I was talking to, and I ended up totally cock blocking him (was crazy drunk). He was totally cool about it, especially since I was more excited to talk to him than the girl was...I was like "That's Jalen Rose!! Fab 5! Chicago Bulls!" she was like
confused.gif
He ended up buying all 3 of us a round of drinks and I was able to walk away knowing I successfully c-blocked an NBA player.
bigstar[1].gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kudos to Grant Hill.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
his dad was one of my heroes when i was growing up. really a smart, classy guy. and a helluva ballplayer.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started watching the program with the expectation that I'd change channels after a few minutes. I ended up watching it to the end, and was fascinated by what I learned. It also reminded me of when I went to one of their games in 1992.

I heard Jalen's comment but interpreted it as his and other's perception at the time, not now.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
???

Kudos?

Instead of writing some BS tl;dr press release, the classier thing would have been for Grant Hill to say "meh...was a lifetime ago. we were kids then. bygones"

Why on Earth would anyone, being interviewed about an event that took place almost 20 years ago, talk about their perception of the situation now ONLY? You want to hear what was going through their heads THEN. I thought people understood that?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally, i think it's their perception THEN that is sad. not as sad as if they still maintained it. but sad nonetheless.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
Grant Hill is a class act. He handled this situation admirably

Originally Posted by whnay.
Kudos to Grant Hill.

+1. Really admire the guy.

Originally Posted by embowafa
???

Kudos?

Instead of writing some BS tl;dr press release, the classier thing would have been for Grant Hill to say "meh...was a lifetime ago.

Go on, post the Colin Powell "I ain't readin' all that **** *****!" picture. You know you want to.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
???

Kudos?

Instead of writing some BS tl;dr press release, the classier thing would have been for Grant Hill to say "meh...was a lifetime ago. we were kids then. bygones"

Why on Earth would anyone, being interviewed about an event that took place almost 20 years ago, talk about their perception of the situation now ONLY? You want to hear what was going through their heads THEN. I thought people understood that?

I'm sure Grant Hill has heard the "racist term for black people" meme his entire life, probably has haunted him like a ghost. Jalen was an easy target to respond to. I think his broader point is spot on. I'm no fan of Duke but still give Coach K major props for building arguably the best modern day college basketball franchise by sticking to very simple principals regardless of race, background, etc.

Ghetto or hillbilly pride, the demonization of education and success are 20 to 40 year old relics that only the supremely ignorant or the Jesse Jackson's of the world hold on to.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If only Grant Hill could have stayed healthly....he had all the elements to be bigger than MJ except with more class.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I'm sure Grant Hill has heard the "racist term for black people" meme his entire life, probably has haunted him like a ghost. Jalen was an easy target to respond to. I think his broader point is spot on. I'm no fan of Duke but still give Coach K major props for building arguably the best modern day college basketball franchise by sticking to very simple principals regardless of race, background, etc.

Ghetto or hillbilly pride, the demonization of education and success are 20 to 40 year old relics that only the supremely ignorant or the Jesse Jackson's of the world hold on to.

Good point. I don't disagree with the broader point at all. In fact, I never thought about his release as a statement on the 'racist term for black people' issue as a whole and not directed at Jalen Rose until you put it that way.

But from a purely Fab5 documentary perspective...it was just those guys explaining how they felt (or convinced themselves how they felt) at the time. They were 18-19. No one at 18-19 has a well rounded world view...shouldn't expect these guys to be any different.

Originally Posted by Fraiche
If only Grant Hill could have stayed healthly....he had all the elements to be bigger than MJ except with more class.

facepalm.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Good point. I don't disagree with the broader point at all. In fact, I never thought about his release as a statement on the 'racist term for black people' issue as a whole and not directed at Jalen Rose until you put it that way.

But from a purely Fab5 documentary perspective...it was just those guys explaining how they felt (or convinced themselves how they felt) at the time. They were 18-19. No one at 18-19 has a well rounded world view...shouldn't expect these guys to be any different.

TBH, I'm mostly surprised that anyone in the Fab5 actually knew who racist term for black people was when they were 18-19.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmileFile