• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My trad entry

trad.png

J. Press suit
BB OCBD
University Crest tie
Standing in front of a bunch of books, which I figure is worth at least 1 or 2 points on the tradometer.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Thanks for your comments so far guys. A few of you have mentioned my color combo is off today, but I'd like to know a little bit more why. I actually thought it was a bit too matchy, not off. Could someone who has commented (or agrees) expand a bit more? Not about fit, preference or selection, just the color. For reference, this pic is most accurate : pants are dark charcoal grey, sc deep plum, shirt blue with Bordeaux stripes, and tie is a brighter purple with white dots.

Here is my opinion:

Tie and shirt not a good match (bright purple doesn't work with a wine color)
This tie would look wonderful with a white shirt
Too many shades of similar but not complimentary colors when using a mix of bright purple, deep plum and wine. That approach to color will always look "off".
Pant and jacket need contrast, try a shade lighter grey pants
Pocket square color doesn't compliment or relate to the other colors. How about an ancient madder print with a hint of plum but other contrasting colors in the pattern? That could be your go-to square for that jacket

Another thing to consider is when wearing corduroy that the vertical lines are a geometric pattern that needs to work with the shirt. For that reason I would suggest a solid white or blue shirt. It is a very nice jacket.

I think it is great that you are confident enough to ask the forum these questions and allow for constructive input. Color theory is complex and takes time to learn. It gets especially difficult when you combine many different colors and patterns. Sometimes it is better to lay out your outfit but then remove one or more patterns or colors and go for a more harmonious look.

FWIW, I've been a member of the Color Association and Color Marketing Group for 20+ years. I directed the development of 500+ products annually using color and patterns and I'm still learning something new every day. I'll be the first to admit that I still make color mistakes. That happens when experimenting and trying something new. But I find it very enjoyable.

jwmbro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
The pocket square should not match anything else in your rig. It should either harmonize or just be random. Otherwise, it looks like you're either trying too hard (never good to put out that signal) or it's part of a matched set some low-end retailer sells to the potato farmers. Hence, your match with the sweater is a big error.

Regarding the lavender and minty pastel green, I don't know where you live, but unless you're getting nice balmy spring weather, those colors are best kept in the closet until such as time as you're getting nice balmy spring weather.

Originally Posted by ManofKent
Matching the PS to the sweater doesn't work.
Socks are too bold for the rest.

Originally Posted by acecow
That would be so much better with well-fitting pants and a different pocket square.

Thanks guys, I've learned much. The moment I posted it I was almost fearing the sweater was too much. To be fair, most of the day I had the sweater off, so the pocket square went unmatched. And yes, it was (finally!) spring time weather here today, so I tried to dress accordingly.
And really need to look into getting some better khakis, these are several years old. Shall add that to my springtime shopping list, thanks for the feedback.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IrateCustomer
http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/8369/wddhvglenplaidencoltrui.jpg

This is a great example of why I can't wait to get myself a good pair of brown suede chukkas/loafers. Great look. I can't pull off a turtleneck if you put a $5000 bill in front of my face, but the rest is awesome.

I didn't even know $5000 bills existed (or was that the point, or do they exist
eh.gif
). Thanks.

Originally Posted by Kaplan
I saw it, but was just too lazy and quoted MoK's post
blush.gif
- what I meant was it does look better.

I've come to feel that sport coats worn casually often look better open.

Hehe. No problem. I wasn't sure you'd seen the edit. Most of the time I let practicality decide if I wear them open or closed (cold and windy: closed; warm and not windy: open. Something like that).

Those shoes are amazing! What are they? The whole look is very nice and very you.
worship.gif

I thought everybody already knew, because they're in quite a lot of WAYWRN shots... C&J Tetbury in snuff suede, double leather soles.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TTO

The suit is excellent; both in terms of style/fit and colour. I'm not a fan of either the shoes or hat with it, thought they're nice pieces individually. Best Trad so far: Mike and Orgetorix (btw, there's no problem entering contests you've picked the theme for, in case you change your mind). Runner-up so far: UrbanComposition - as already mentioned, loafers would have put this one ahead of the rest. Alan - everything good, except the scarf, which just looks too white/new. A truly trad schoolboy scarf would surely have achieved a dull yellowy-white by now. No Trad for me today; it's just so far from how I dress normally that it would feel like too much like getting ready for a costume party. If there's another Trad contest in the summer, I'd probably enter it then as I have some BBBF summery stuff that would probably pass Trad muster.
eRhfp.jpg

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
20110311.jpg

That van owns
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Originally Posted by banis
Can this be somehow considered as a Trad attire?
It is not what I was actually wearing today. Maybe from a couple of weeks ago.
172504--40090923-m750x740-u5c634.jpg

172504--40056919-m750x740-u7f499.jpg

3-patch navy jacket without the front dart with white MOP buttons (don't know whether it maybe called sack)
BB OCBD NOS
Panta repp tie
Uniqlo chinos rolled-up
Carmina shell monkstrap

Yep.

worship.gif
That would be a win if you went sans socks.

I did think about it, along with the loafers, but it was too cold. 65 degrees. Would get frostbite.

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Standing in front of a bunch of books, which I figure is worth at least 1 or 2 points on the tradometer.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Here is my opinion:

Tie and shirt not a good match (bright purple doesn't work with a wine color)
This tie would look wonderful with a white shirt
Too many shades of similar but not complimentary colors when using a mix of bright purple, deep plum and wine. That approach to color will always look "off".
Pant and jacket need contrast, try a shade lighter grey pants
Pocket square color doesn't compliment or relate to the other colors. How about an ancient madder print with a hint of plum but other contrasting colors in the pattern? That could be your go-to square for that jacket

Another thing to consider is when wearing corduroy that the vertical lines are a geometric pattern that needs to work with the shirt. For that reason I would suggest a solid white or blue shirt. It is a very nice jacket.

I think it is great that you are confident enough to ask the forum these questions and allow for constructive input. Color theory is complex and takes time to learn. It gets especially difficult when you combine many different colors and patterns. Sometimes it is better to lay out your outfit but then remove one or more patterns or colors and go for a more harmonious look.

FWIW, I've been a member of the Color Association and Color Marketing Group for 20+ years. I directed the development of 500+ products annually using color and patterns and I'm still learning something new every day. I'll be the first to admit that I still make color mistakes. That happens when experimenting and trying something new. But I find it very enjoyable.

Great advice. It might also be said that the jacket (which I actually like) is a bit of an anomaly. Historically, single breasted peaked lapels are the most formal lapels, second only to white tie. They are still seen as being fairly formal today. That would pretty much exclude them from being on most sport coats. Corduroy is a casual material, and is best on a casual jacket - think notched or latched lapels. Then there's the color. That color would be absolutely pimp on a velvet smoking jacket, and...that's pretty much it. Mix all those factors in together, and the jacket is a bit of an oddity.

Whatever, I'm all for the slightly off, but as far as classic men's clothing goes, I'm not sure that jacket goes...with anything.

Much love
fistbump.gif
kthxbai
inlove.gif

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I think you most certainly should go into the Challenge, Org. Just because you pick it, does not mean you have to abstain.
Originally Posted by in stitches
feeling a little confident there are we?
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by acridsheep
+1 on your eligibility (meaning, you are eligible). Also, I don't think you'll win anyway (not that it will be me challenging you).
Originally Posted by cronicmole
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Best-executed trad yet. You should have entered.
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Best Trad so far: Mike and Orgetorix (btw, there's no problem entering contests you've picked the theme for, in case you change your mind). Runner-up so far: UrbanComposition - as already mentioned, loafers would have put this one ahead of the rest.
Ok, I realized after I posted earlier that what I said did perhaps sound a bit arrogant. I certainly don't expect to win this thing, I just didn't want people to think I'd slanted things in my favor, given that, among the regular WAYWRN participants, my style tends to gravitate most towards Trad. If folks think I should be in the running, I'm fine either way. I suppose I'll leave it up to Spoo in the end.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate that the challenges are Fridays. So, had to configure a trad get up while going a bit more casual, so we have
Brooklyn Blue Collar Trad

All items made in the USA and are somewhat tradly...Red Wing Boots, Bills Khakis (these are the slim ones) and Schott OCBD. The waist could use a nip, I look like a fat bastard...looked better untucked.
IMG_4156.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4158.jpg

Not pictured Paul Stuart Raincoat...

spoozy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Requiem

SC may seem to be stiff, but it´s really made from a very soft fabric and slim-cut, but not too snug. The match between the ps and the tie in terms of colour was just too good to let go
smile.gif

That's really nice, spoozy.

Cheers, acecow!

I´m a fan of the tie / suit / shirt combo. However, i pretty much don´t like the cufflinks.

Originally Posted by DaBatMan

Originally Posted by twistoffat
Very nice indeed. Love the colour mix

Cheerio!

Validating the shirt point, but as said above, couldn´t resist the perfect ps / tie match.

Originally Posted by LilacCords

Sharp!!

Like it!

Originally Posted by SpooPoker

EPIC Fail*

*as a trad contest entry.

Win on fit and the tie, not sold on the colour combo...
peepwall[1].gif

Originally Posted by AlanC

Good to see you posting again, Alan, and well done!

Originally Posted by Orgetorix

Great tie knot (what a dimple!!) and great shoes.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

NOW THAT came unexpected.
bigstar[1].gif
. I felt like i´d particularly throw you off with this one. Praise highly appreciated!

Originally Posted by Thin White Duke

Damn great lapel pin!

Originally Posted by UrbanComposition

Trad by definition.

Originally Posted by Eustace

Great tie!

CONTEST ENTRY: TRAD or MAD?

5517994087_c5809053e4_z.jpg
5517989703_f14693dbfd_z.jpg
5517984457_5aa9d9c01a_z.jpg
5518573474_4a040765aa_z.jpg
5518562694_67c3828251_z.jpg

PTWilliams

Reaction score
It appears that imageshack is a little pissed off at styleforum. Attachments aren't really satisfactory.

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the compliments and feedback. I to feel the shoes and hat where a touch out of place, but the shoes are new and they needed breaking in! I was walking along a damp and sometimes muddy path and thought their commando soled goodness would be suitable!
They are longwings though...my first ever and part of two pairs I picked up brand new for £64!
I figured longwings, despite the soles, where pretty trad-ly, and the swelled edge on the suit was about as close as I would get to American Trad standards...I thought about wearing a seersucker bow today but it didn't feel right, too pale? anyway...one of my favorite suits...I'm glad you like it!
-TTO
P.S. I don't expect to be taken seriosly as an entry to the challeng...hence the title of my post!

jobro

Reaction score
IMAGE SHACK SUCKS. REFRAIN FROM USING IT!! Use TinyPic, Photobucket or any other decent host. Imageshack doesn't even work in some countries, let alone provide good service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members