• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
I covet those links. And that handsome shirt fabric, too.
Originally Posted by Al_Merick
Details on the shirt, please?
Thanks. It's a made-to-measure shirt from moderntailor.com. That fabric is not available anymore (I checked). Links are "Links of London". Cheers.
Originally Posted by Requiem
I'm never picky about fabric quality or cloth drape , as that may be related to the wearer's budget (not saying that's your case, although it's usually mine), but I always get a bad impression from someone wearing a tie too short... especially if one takes the time to photograph himself, one should take the time to get his tie to properly cover the belt buckle.
I agree. However, those photos were taken hastily before I left for work, where I took the tie and jacket off for the day. I will re-tie it before going to the concert tonight and I will definitely be more careful. I'm all for obsessive-compulsiveness in dressing myself.
laugh.gif

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Acer
Yeah I've seen that he definitely knows how to throw an outfit together from various pics I've seen lurking around... I do like the tie, though. Is paisley / floral just a no go? I'm so tired of wearing stripes all the time. Also, the pattern is quite a bit more subdued than the picture makes it seem.
confused.gif

Paisley is OK. It is classic and yet has a dandy aspect as well. Try not to be overly matchy. Instead, go subtle and have the tie pick up an afterthought of the shirt - match a stripe or weave in the shirt. If you want to go next level, look at this color wheel and if you feel comfortable, use colors that are complementary (next to each other), at 90 degree angles, or that are opposite on the wheel. Typically there's a reason why things look good. Get to the know the basics well first, and then you can have fun with them. Keep posting!

DaBatMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Hope you stick around through the summer to show the new guys how you rock a pink jacket and white pants
fistbump.gif

Originally Posted by niidawg3
so why didnt you fix it before you posted? its hard to judge a fit without a button so i dont understand how you expected to get feedback holding a jacket at the buttoning point. I pray you laundered those pants before you wore and posted them. and finally, those shoes are not a good look. not saying spend a ton of money, but at least make sure everything is well put together before you post. curb your desire to post, learn, fix the things you KNOW you need to fix and then post to gain the necessary feedback. no need to post something that you KNOW is not ready.
Originally Posted by Navi
Niidawg, is this how you treat every newcomer? That was like my third fit post, cut me some ******* slack dude.
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Out of the frying pan...
4b1fde16.jpg
bd225588.jpg
0a5ee41c.jpg

Nice Spoo. I really dig your PC collections. I've seriously gotta get my game up.
=ManofKent;4219778]Bright and breezy today. Whilst the trousers probably are in need of a press it's mainly the wind.
2011_03_10_hands.jpg
[/SPOILER] Back with a vengeance huh MOK? I'm really digging this outfit.
Originally Posted by spoozy
Speaking of non-matching things...
5515448939_569389714b_z.jpg
5516032518_03d83d08e6_z.jpg

Wow... would have never thunk it in a million years but somehow it comes together. Nice!
Originally Posted by acecow
Tonight: Tchaikovsky + Shakespeare + Dudamel + Orlando Bloom + LA Philharmonic =
nest.gif
kPxIa.jpg
PROCEED WITH CAUTION. While I do like the the outfit over all, I'm really not a fan of this tie with it. Loving that shirt though. I was going to ask about the details but then saw that someone beat me to the punch. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Paisley is OK. It is classic and yet has a dandy aspect as well. Try not to be overly matchy. Instead, go subtle and have the tie pick up an afterthought of the shirt - match a stripe or weave in the shirt. If you want to go next level, look at this color wheel and if you feel comfortable, use colors that are complementary (next to each other), at 90 degree angles, or that are opposite on the wheel. Typically there's a reason why things look good. Get to the know the basics well first, and then you can have fun with them. Keep posting!
Now this is grown man talk. Thank you for that nugget. I gained a little more knowledge today.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DaBatMan
PROCEED WITH CAUTION. While I do like the the outfit over all, I'm really not a fan of this tie with it. Loving that shirt though. I was going to ask about the details but then saw that someone beat me to the punch. Thanks for sharing.
I'm lovin' it!
devil.gif
happy.gif
(the tie)
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
I'm lovin' this even more!

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Tonight:
Tchaikovsky + Shakespeare + Dudamel + Orlando Bloom + LA Philharmonic =
nest.gif

kPxIa.jpg

Like it all buttoned up for sure. Great shirt.

Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
lgm_feb_0035_hacked.jpg

Fabulous image. Hard to ascertain the true colors or the overall fit quality, but I like looking at it.
smile.gif

Mike

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred49
sc BB
pants Battistoni
tie Kiton
ps ASW
shoes G&G
socks BB
shirt vanlaak
fred10001copy2.gif

fred10big.gif

Elegant look. I like this more than the pattern-smashing rigs I so often see. Very well done.

DaBatMan

Reaction score

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix

I don't know exactly why this doesn't work for me - but it just doesn't. In isolation, the pieces are all fine. Together, they wash out and look muddy. Perhaps it's just me.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
4fOm.png

4fOZ.png

... big thanks (!) to NOBD for helping secure the elusive Drake's navy cash...
...BB new old stock BD...
...Sammy MTM jacket and trou...
...Seaward silk...
...Marcoliani houndstooth wool stocking...
...Cleverley bespoke galosh...

All work wonderfully with the stunning coat. Bravo!

DaBatMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
I don't know exactly why this doesn't work for me - but it just doesn't. In isolation, the pieces are all fine. Together, they wash out and look muddy. Perhaps it's just me.
No... I was thinking the very same thing. No "Awe" factor for this one today... IMO!

DaBatMan

Reaction score
Acecow I am amazed at the fit of that suit. Is it MTM??? OTR??? Please, tell me more for this is one of the best fitting outfits that I can recall.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sotiris
Same SC as last weekend, but you can actually see it now.
redface.gif

Looking for full critique of it, as it's one of my new, post SF pieces, and I am thinking of getting more from this designer - but am soliciting feedback before I do so.

Also not sure what's going on with my left hand here - not looking to pick a fight.
uhoh.gif
fight[1].gif
laugh.gif

031011a.jpg
031011c.jpg

031011b.jpg

The SC looks great on you and I like the fabric. Good choice. Buy more.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Requiem
I'm never picky about fabric quality or cloth drape , as that may be related to the wearer's budget (not saying that's your case, although it's usually mine), but I always get a bad impression from someone wearing a tie too short... especially if one takes the time to photograph himself, one should take the time to get his tie to properly cover the belt buckle.

I disagree about the tie. At best, it's a matter of personal preference, not of being correct or incorrect. If you check out old photos of Hollywood or those ubiquitous Esquire sketches from the 30s and 40s, you'll find ties above the trousers as the rule. The rationale - as I understand it - is that the tie is supposed to draw attention to the face and upper body, not point to the crotch. That's particularly true when one sits down. Then, a tie as long as you suggest cuts the man in half and points to the floor. And since I spend most of my time in the day sitting at a desk, the higher tie makes more sense to me, because when sitting down, it hangs a bit lower and thus just right.

I know it's not a modern look, but I prefer a higher tie and thinks it looks more flattering than the alternative. But either way, it's not, flatly speaking, incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52