• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Des Merrion status or whereabouts?

CHITON

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
So now that this is all cleared up, where is Carlo Franco?

devil.gif

lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Infrasonic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
So now that this is all cleared up, where is Carlo Franco?

devil.gif

Come back Darren, all is forgiven...

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look forward to seeing more of Des' work posted on this forum...was nice to see an English tailor who also cut his client's cloths.

After World War 2, there was a concentrated effort on the part of the ruling and upper classes in England to severly prohibit the use of force by the unwashed masses against criminals. Firearm prohibitions coupled with an aggressive stance by the Crown's Prosecutors, and the political left joining the band wagon of no guns, has resulted in a drastic change of mind by the general English public against the possession of firearms...for any purpose.

I look forward to the day that the English public re-thinks its mindset about the imagined gun culture in the U.S., and re-considers possessing handguns, sawn off shotguns and military style rifles as deterrents to home burglaries.

Des' offenses were for the mere importation of a scrawny .22 pistol and then possession of a a semi-automatic shotgun and a short barrelled shotgun. No one deserves to be incarcerated for the possession of such firearms (especially the shotguns) which are solid against home invasion robberies.

I am saddened to see my English Style Forumintes spewing such venom that "Des got what he deserved." Had he used such weapons in the commission of a violent crime like murder or robbery, I would have little respect for the man. But mere importation/possession gets you 3 years....and others agree this is appropriate?

I am saddened to see this is the mind set amongst some of you...but its not your fault...you were brainwashed since World War 2

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
Because you can't do that in the UK unless you own farmland and have a very good reason for having it, such as your crops are being eaten or spolit from pests. Saying you want one to blow a burglers head off won't work.

Well, I only follow laws that are just. I will gladly have the man make me a jacket, maybe I'll get a hidden gun pocket?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
I look forward to seeing more of Des' work posted on this forum...was nice to see an English tailor who also cut his client's cloths.

After World War 2, there was a concentrated effort on the part of the ruling and upper classes in England to severly prohibit the use of force by the unwashed masses against criminals. Firearm prohibitions coupled with an aggressive stance by the Crown's Prosecutors, and the political left joining the band wagon of no guns, has resulted in a drastic change of mind by the general English public against the possession of firearms...for any purpose.

I look forward to the day that the English public re-thinks its mindset about the imagined gun culture in the U.S., and re-considers possessing handguns, sawn off shotguns and military style rifles as deterrents to home burglaries.

Des' offenses were for the mere importation of a scrawny .22 pistol and then possession of a a semi-automatic shotgun and a short barrelled shotgun. No one deserves to be incarcerated for the possession of such firearms (especially the shotguns) which are solid against home invasion robberies.

I am saddened to see my English Style Forumintes spewing such venom that "Des got what he deserved." Had he used such weapons in the commission of a violent crime like murder or robbery, I would have little respect for the man. But mere importation/possession gets you 3 years....and others agree this is appropriate?

I am saddened to see this is the mind set amongst some of you...but its not your fault...you were brainwashed since World War 2

What patronising nonsense. No one has any requirement to own such weapons and shooting burglars to death is not acceptable. it may be an American custom but mercifully we are not that uncivilised.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
What patronising nonsense. No one has any requirement to own such weapons and shooting burglars to death is not acceptable. it may be an American custom but mercifully we are not that uncivilised.
No, we just let murders out after serving half their sentences, in some cases less. English 'justice', as it stands today, is nothing to be proud about... I would also review your first sentence in light of your last sentence.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Ummm... thanks to those of you who responded with useful info. (Have made an effort to contact Des via email - and am hoping to get a real response rather than the auto-generated 'I'll get back to you when I'm able' that had been occurring the time I tried to make contact over the last 22 months.) For those of you who jacked the thread to vent on gun control issues, toddle along now.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Whatever Greger may think, the UK has laws which strictly regulate the ownership of guns. They are a very sesnible way of managing society and it is NOT customary for the British to feel the necessity of shooting pople in defence. America has little or no control over guns becuase of its Constitution and a Gun Lobby that does not in the least care about the misuse of fire arms. How is the Gifford woman? Merrion possessed several weapons which were of no earthly use to him and totally lacking in justfication in the UK and had they fallen into the wrong hands used for creating mayhem etc. Maybe he had some thoughts. He had been granted Fire arm licence presumably for sporting shooting so his freedom in that resepct was not restricted. He thoroughly deserved all that came to him.
+1 But in saying that, like I said before, Des has served his time, and that should be the end of the matter. He should now be allowed to get on with his life and tailoring business without any hassles. But for those saying English justice is nothing to be proud of (ie. murderer's getting off early/easy etc.)...that's no different to most western countries, including the US and Australia. That sort of things happens everywhere, unfortunately. It's not unique to England by any means.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
No, we just let murders out after serving half their sentences, in some cases less.

English 'justice', as it stands today, is nothing to be proud about...

I would also review your first sentence in light of your last sentence.

That my friend has to do with the constant overcrowding of English jails and the lack of investment in the system...

Some have to go out to allow others to get in...

Even the Tories after talking the talk are not going to walk the walk on that one...

No money to give ad vitam aeternam her Majesty's prisoners and no Australia anymore...

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
no Australia anymore...
I heard it proposed, with a completely straight face, that they begin housing jail population in ships moored offshore. Prison hulks!
nla.pic-an5576207-v.jpg
[edit] apparently there was one already, in Dorset .. plus ça change ..

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cold war painter
I heard it proposed, with a completely straight face, that they begin housing jail population in ships moored offshore.

Prison hulks!

nla.pic-an5576207-v.jpg

Was it on the Isle of dogs or close to the Isle of Wight?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
History repeating itself, eh? Prison hulks were the thing, and then when Captain Cook "discovered Australia", they were more or less ditched in favour of sending the prisoners to the new colony. And now we're back to the hulks? Dear oh dear.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52