• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oleg
Have you tried Paraboot? Pediwear stock them I think so mail order shouldn't be a problem

WTF are they doing with the sizing? The stuff is absolutely giant.

As a Pom based in Oz (until moving home a couple of weeks ago), I used to stock up in Uniqlo on trips back to London. The jeans are my favourites and cost 20 quid - nothing in Oz is going to come close. Was working in Singapore a lot this year and used to drop into their Orchard Rd branch but the problem was the stock was for the northern hemisphere seasons - Singapore never drops below the 'jesus, it's hot' temperature and they were stocking puffa jackets and thermal vests
eh.gif
(For those of you who pass that way, a new Brooks Brothers is due to open by December though hadn't when I there earlier in the month.)

Having been back in the UK for a couple of weeks, it really just brings it home how bad Aussie clothes retailing is. The higher end stuff is limited in selection and gratuitously overpriced and the high street stuff is probably worse in relative terms: trousers in Marc were less than 50 bucks cheaper than Panta, ferfuxake. Quality is higher in Gap, styling better in H&M or Top Man - it's simply wrong. I know there are costs associated with doing business in Australia but I don't believe they account for the full cost of the difference.

In short, mail order is the way to go. For those of you who haven't been, it might cost a bit in postage for returns whilst you get your sizing sorted out but, even so, I'd think you'd still be saving money over the Oz retail price, you'll expand your choice, and, once the sizing is sorted, that's you fixed. Might not work for everything, but why not shirts and ties from Tyrwhitt or Lewin, shoes from Pediwear? There's online firms that make chinos or polos or even suits to your measurements. I know there's an element of wanting to support Aussie business which is laudable, but if the overall impression is that AUssie business is ripping the piss then I'm not sure there's much obligation to do so.

Still, being back in the UK in crap weather with the economy Donald Ducked and the government waging war on public services and the employment rates, I hope you'll not begrudge me bargain Crockett and Jones and cheap button downs from Uniqlo (and the cricket, obviously). It's nice to be home but I am slightly worried about what I'm letting myself in for having had such a good time in Aus for the last seven years. Miss it.
frown.gif

I completely agree with your sentiments. I did the opposite of you. I am an Australian who lived in London for 2.5 years. On my return I was a bit shocked at the outrageous prices being asked for run of the mill shirts etc. And don't get me started on shoes!
plain.gif

I miss the shopping in London, even though most high streets in greater London (and the UK) have the same stores.

I have been shopping in the same way you propose since returning to Oz - shirts from TM Lewin (and lately Cottonworks). shoes from Pediwear / Herring Shoes etc. I rarely purchase anything in Oz thesedays unless it's heavily discounted. I realise I am not alone in this regard amongst forum members.

Hmmm don't mention the cricket. The Aussies must be getting a pasting over there at the moment!
uhoh.gif

Enjoy being back in Ol Blighty.

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cascade
Went to Sydney conservative business dress for shopping today.
Which begs the question, what happens to all the excess inventory stock? even on sale like now, i still see plenty of stock around ... they must pass it off for below cost or something in the backstreets of Sydney or black markets in order to get rid of it for next season.

I've been stalking Melbourne David Jones for the past year. What doesn't sell on Boxing day gets wheeled out for the mid-year sale...if that doesn't sell it often goes to the next Boxing day sale.

psyc1030

Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
I've been stalking Melbourne David Jones for the past year. What doesn't sell on Boxing day gets wheeled out for the mid-year sale...if that doesn't sell it often goes to the next Boxing day sale.

or just simply send them to the outlet at Birkenhead

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you guys in melbourne and sydney have little to complain about in comparison to perth
ffffuuuu.gif

ordered 3 pairs of brooks brothers chinos in different sizes, ~$50 each. when i return the wrong sized stuff and buy more pairs in my own size the cost per pair will be a fraction of the over priced limited range they have in david jones.

as for suits, will have to wait until my next trip to HK (rugby sevens was a good excuse
smile.gif
)

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raybert
Bossini which was cheap and ok is now cheap and really poor quality. Witchery is disappointing except some items when 60/70% off. CR sizing too big for me.

+1 for each of the points.
I visited Bossini for the first and last time a few months ago. The stock they carry are not only Chinese made (which I have no problems with in itself) but actually stock for the Chinese market. Close examination of the labels and and buttons show Engrish and random letters string together pretending to be English.

$25 Witchery shirt is one of my favourite casual shirts. 97% Cotton, 3% elastine for some comfort. I visit Witchery outlet from time to time looking for these cheapies. Wouldn't pay full price for it though. Sizing like just about all labels today run big too. I bought an SS.

Even CR XS shirts are too big for me... although jackets and whatnot with chest measurements as sizing still fit OK.

Originally Posted by elvish
I'm 21 so I never buy Rodd & Gunn but it was a little less crowded and I managed to get a linen tweed/check jacket for 40 from 400.

redface.gif
are there may left? $40 is insane. I bet there arent many small ones like sz36 are there?

Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Just did a quick round today at Chadstone... was quite unimpressed actually. The highlight of course was seeing in person, the much famed notched plus peaked lapel jacket as mentioned here. If I had the time, I would have tried it on and taken some photos for WAYWRN.
rotflmao.gif
Not like you're cool enough for it anyway :p

Originally Posted by __PG__

I do that with Myer conservative business dress during office lunchtimes when I wanted to take a walk. Seems like the big bargains to me are a few weeks after the start of the sales when prices are marked down again on the red tag price. Scored some silk ties once for about $15 each and my favourite bargain was the ninja turtles raphael action figure for $2. Kicking arse on my desk right now.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Gents, wondering where I would go to try on a pair of Church's Balmoral's in Melbourne? Is Mc Clouds my only option or is there something in the Eastern suburbs? I am quite interested in purchasing online but want to get the fit right
wink.gif

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Gents, wondering where I would go to try on a pair of Church's Balmoral's in Melbourne? Is Mc Clouds my only option or is there something in the Eastern suburbs? I am quite interested in purchasing online but want to get the fit right
wink.gif

You could also try Henry Bucks - I think they might stock Church.

PS - I think you mean oxford, not balmoral
wink.gif

bhall41

Reaction score

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IM the best deals at the DJs sale every year is 30% of Pantherella socks.

I stock up every year as it is cheaper than any other city/country I pass though.

As you were.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any outlets around that stock brown leather gloves for cheap? As in under $50.

Selvaggio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Any outlets around that stock brown leather gloves for cheap? As in under $50.

DJs (Sydney) had a bunch.

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Selvaggio
DJs (Sydney) had a bunch.

I think they were clearing some under the milana brand a few months ago post winter. Initially at $70 then they lowered it to $50. Snapped up a black at $50 and a brown at $70. The older stock were lined with cashmere, but it seems the newer ones were lined with 3M thnisulate.

Anyone heading out to Syd harbour for the fireworks?

Happy New Year all!!
smile.gif

ZengaGent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cascade
Went to Sydney conservative business dress for shopping today.
Was looking for a decent navy suit. The whole experience was absolutely awful.
couldn't find a single suit that a) was a plain or patterned navy that was not 'blue' navy but a more dark navy and b) couldn't find a single suit that fit me (I'm about 38R).

If I can't find a decent suit at DJs in the Sydney conservative business dress then there's no hope for Aussie retail.

Guess I'll have to stick to local tailors/bespoke and pay a bit more, which is what I did last time. I would have thought a navy suit was easy to find so was hoping to go for the RTW option and maybe do some alterations. But guess not.

Retail shopping for RTW items is such a pain when you actually NEED something urgently, running around time trying things on frantically, and dealing with rude customer service.
But it's fun if you DON'T NEED anything, where you're just loitering around with friends and having a good relaxing time.

RTW is awful, don't think I'll ever go back to RTW/retail ... most of my purchases in the last 2 years or so have been 80% tailored/bespoke ever since I found out about the concept 2-3 years ago.

Which begs the question, what happens to all the excess inventory stock? even on sale like now, i still see plenty of stock around ... they must pass it off for below cost or something in the backstreets of Sydney or black markets in order to get rid of it for next season.

Mate,

H'bone is about the ONLY Aussie retailer I frequent these days (suits, shirts, shoes).

I also intend to add Ring Jacket (via the Armoury on-line shop) + P Johnson Tailors in the new year; one not Aussie, one so little known it cannot be considered mainstream Oz.

Won't be bothering with anything else.

Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics