• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I managed to snag an excellent pair of gloves from DJs around 10 years ago from Milana and they're still in top-notch shape today. Have held up very well. I can't speak for the quality of today's stock, though.

Originally Posted by blahman
Any outlets around that stock brown leather gloves for cheap? As in under $50.

This wont help you at all (really I'm just boasting) but I picked up a really nice pair of brown nappa leather cashmere lined gloves from saks fifth avenue outlet in Hawaii in November, for $50 exactly.

I haven't seen any quality gloves in oz for under $100 for a long time, I do remember the milana gloves from back then and they wer very good, as was a lot of the milana stuff. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of new stock coming out these days though.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lennier
In case anyone's interested I just passed Strickland & Son's at the top end of Bourke in Melbourne who have a bunch of stuff on sale. Suits are either full or half canvassed (not sure) at around $695 and some at least are in decent fabrics. Not a lot of small sizes left. Cut is fairly standard english and a drop 6 apparently, but quite contemporary. Also some hand made silk 7-fold ties at I think $79 from memory, some of which looked quite nice.
They are always on sale at $695 and some less. They are moving to smaller shop 2 doors up, possibly opening a South Yarra shop, and are getting in new stock.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"The Government is committed to giving Australian households and businesses every possible advantage and opportunity when it comes to shopping online. Among other things, this report shows that online retailing is only about three per cent of the Australian total, which we believe has great potential to grow into the future," Senator Conroy said.

The Minister for Small Business said the Gillard Government is committed to supporting Australia's small businesses take advantage of the opportunities and to meet the challenges of online trading.

"Online trading is a two-way street - consumers can benefit from using the global marketplace and Australian businesses can also benefit from being part of that same marketplace," Senator Sherry said.

"Online retailing is here to stay. It is something every Australian consumer and every retailer is going to have to come to grips with, and sooner rather than later. The Productivity Commission inquiry and next year's forum will provide a valuable insight into the challenges faced by the Australian retail sector in a globalised shopping world, and lay the foundations for a vibrant Australian retail sector for the next 25 years," Mr Shorten said.

A copy of the report is available here:

The Assistant Treasurer has announced that the Productivity Commission will be undertaking an inquiry on the implications of globalisation on the Australian retail sector.

The Commission will examine the current structure, performance and efficiency of the retail sector and the drivers of structural change in the industry, including globalisation, increasing household and business access to the digital economy, changing cost structures, employment issues and the exchange rate.

The Commission will also consider the broader issues posed by an increase in online purchasing by Australian consumers and the role online purchasing plays in providing consumers with greater choice, access and convenience

The inquiry is expected to start in early 2011 and report by the end of the year.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a good article in todays AGE and some well chosen letters to editor. (Clearly the AGE is running the consumer line).

The online version I can find of the article doesn't seem to be as comprehensive as the dead wood version.

The retailers line is to ask for protection against competition. Given that online retail is around 3% of total retail spend and overseas online is less than 30% of that retail spend the bleating of Myers etc is obviously for some other purpose.

I'm guessing that a bit of what they are afraid of is the hit on small volume/ weight (volume as in package not sales) and extortionate markups like perfume That can easily be purchased online, low postage and don't require a high touch factor. Although Chemist Warehouse locally is hitting that head on.

Davidoff Cool Water EdT for men is around $30 at chemist warehouse and up to $90 at "upmarket" chemists. I dunno what it is at Myers but I suspect $50 more than $30 a bottle. Womens Perfumes are generally more extortionate mark ups.

Edit:: I have no particular objection in principle to GST on online o/s goods.

In addition, practically it makes bugger all difference. At something less than 10% it won't make most goods as expensive as those purchased here. However I do object to the bullshit spewed out by the majors here who are really ultimately seeking tariffs to protect their margins.

My bet is the Productivity Commission will find what we already know - the cost of collecting the GST on each $15 book purchase from overseas will vastly outweigh revenue earned.

edit:: just saw The Sun at the coffee shop - good full page spread with price comparisons - all this publicity will do is encourage people online who haven't tried it before.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These low-life retailers obviously thought they could go down the path of the mining industry by spending a shed load of money in press ads to scare the government. Fail. Hope this PR company doesn't get its fee for the work they have done... http://www.theage.com.au/business/re...105-19fsp.html Meanwhile: Face cream as a birthday present for the missus - DJs = $150, Online = $90 delivered. Book I want to buy her - Borders = $37.95, Online = $24 delivered.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ The fantastic thing about all of this is that there will now be more Aussies reading this kind of press going '**** I can get this stuff for cheaper online?! Lets go and have a look!' Talk about a campaign backfiring!
laugh.gif

__PG__

Reaction score
I had an interesting sartorial experience today. After finally finding a nice blue-on-white windowpane shirt a few weeks ago at Arthur Galan ($100 reduced from $229), I found the EXACT SAME SHIRT at Oxford today. $64.50 reduced from ($129). So I bought another one in purple.

I guess this says that Arthur Galan isn't a 'designer' (well maybe for a few items). Instead he just shops around various factories in China and buys what he likes. I wonder what he thinks about Oxford buying the same stuff and selling it at half price.

I wonder what the actual unit cost is.

Oxford have a few of their 'luxury' shirts on sale at $95.00 (fabric from Milan, shirt made in China) but I'll wait until they drop around the $70 mark before I bite.

There is also a nice Zegna 52L Roma fit suit on sale at Henry Bucks for $795. Summer weight light grey with white pinstripes. Nice fabric. Doesn't look good on me though.

I tried on the Strickland and Sons suit. A bit too broad in the waist for my liking but worth checking out. They will haggle as well.

jobro

Reaction score
I am all for tax however the campaign the big companies are running is un-founded. There would be little to no revenue collected after the admistration of the tax, the customs office would have a huge backlog of items pending tax and it would not make a significant difference to the savings and benefits of buying online.

If the government does impliment a tax on items imported under $1000 then customs should be able to tax at their discretion rather applying a mandatory tax to every item. This would reduce the load for customs and still generate a higher tax income.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Davidoff Cool Water EdT for men is around $30 at chemist warehouse and up to $90 at "upmarket" chemists. I dunno what it is at Myers but I suspect $50 more than $30 a bottle. Womens Perfumes are generally more extortionate mark ups.

Now think about how ridiculously much of a markup Myer put on their fragrances after considering the following fact:
CWH already put a considerable markup on a lot of their fragrances (used to be a warehouse boy and I read all their invoices from suppliers.)

ewc

Reaction score
How much would I expect to pay for an alterations guy to take up the sleeves of a jacket (non-working buttonholes) about an inch? Gave the Looksmart nearby a call and they quoted me about $50, which sounds a bit high.

JTA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ewc
How much would I expect to pay for an alterations guy to take up the sleeves of a jacket (non-working buttonholes) about an inch? Gave the Looksmart nearby a call and they quoted me about $50, which sounds a bit high.

If that's taken from the shoulder then it is a good price however if it is from the bottom then it is pricey.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ewc
do NOT use Looksmart

TheChefs

Reaction score
It's a bit of a joke when they say the public doesn't get it. I think they need to look in a mirror..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads