• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The on going undershirt debate. Do you wear one?

orthofrancis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
I have the exact opposite problem, that if I wear an undershirt, it would get untucked but my shirt stay tucked. The result is pretty ugly outright with a lot of extra fabrics bulging around my waist line.
frown.gif
Thus I avoid wearing undershirts if I plan to take off my jacket anytime of the day. Anyone know a good place to buy extra long undershirts with deep V-necks, besides Jockey and American Apperal?

You could tuck your t-shirt into your underpants. I have to wear a t-shirt - otherwise you see lots of chest hair thru the fabric of most shirts. Yellowed armpit stains are caused by the aluminium zirconium in anti-perspirant. I switched to just deodorant, and have no more stained shirts. The sweating after a week is the same, after your body adjusts.

msza

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
... "poor man's ascot" indeed

I often wear a white crew neck t-shirt under a casual OCBD-type shirt. But since I am, in fact, a poor man, I take it that I have SF permission to do this.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by msza
I often wear a white crew neck t-shirt under a casual OCBD-type shirt. But since I am, in fact, a poor man, I take it that I have SF permission to do this.

I never ever wear anything under my shirt. I just hate t-shirt or even more undershirt .

I just find the look outdated but it is my opinion...

starwood

Reaction score
No - I don't wear one. I am 56, and haven't worn them since I was 18 on a regular basis. I don't have excessive body hair, the man boobs don't bother me or others. The persperation doesn't bother me.

I don't like seeing a man with a business shirt on, and because most of them are see through material, it shows whether he is or isn't wearing an undershirt. Think thicker materials guys.

I work in an office, but it is not necessary to wear a tie or suit. I wear darker coloured shirts with no tie. It is harder to tell whether I am or am not wearing anything underneath.

And don't poke your T-shirts through the open neck of the button down shirts. That is definitely a fashion no-no.

Underwear is that - underwear. I don't want to see it. I don't want to know about it.

I do wear underpants - and they are briefs. You wouldn't catch me in boxers.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Winter is here again and I can confirm that I am wearing undershirts again.
Both under shirts and sweaters. Both for business and when going casual. My favourite undershirt brand is still Schiesser, for price and quality, but I must say that one of the nicest undershirts I have is an odd Valentino one.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Winter is here again and I can confirm that I am wearing undershirts again.
Both under shirts and sweaters. Both for business and when going casual. My favourite undershirt brand is still Schiesser, for price and quality, but I must say that one of the nicest undershirts I have is an odd Valentino one.

buy yourself a nice cardigan or a great coat...

If don't work outside ,there is no justification for wearing one...

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to buy long-sleeve skintight/stretch v-neck (or something with a low neck) undershirts? All I got are the short sleeve ones, it is cold in the winter so I want something with sleeves. I checked out the GAP and they don't have them? Does such a undershirt exist?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
It is necessary to wear them in hot weather under dress shirts lest your sweat show through the fabric.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I generally avoid them in the summer but in the winter I have to wear them to work because they like to keep our office at about a balmy 80° so I usually sweat more in the winter than I do in the summer so I need the protection.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
buy yourself a nice cardigan or a great coat...

If don't work outside ,there is no justification for wearing one...

Thank you for informing me about what I do not need!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Typically I do wear one with a dress shirt. With an open neck shirt ... it depends.

But to go against the grain ... there are times I like the look of a crew neck t-shirt under a sport shirt. It's a very mid-century (20th) all-American look. Whether or not others like it is their issue.

Jay

Reaction score
I wear a v-neck when I wear my shirt with an open collar and a crew neck when I wear a tie. Undershirts should not be seen by others, as it is underwear. Undershirts prevent sweat from getting on my shirt in the summer and provides additionally warmth in my cold office and the winter in general. My shirt collars don't usually get dirty until 4 or so wearings, so this cuts down on my laundry.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luncytoms