• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much money do you spend per day on coffee/espresso?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
I do this all the time. I don't like it too much with the blacks, but its great with the purples.
I just go for the Americano's these days which effectively extends the drinking time for me in the same sort of way. Tried out 2 Indriya's again today - one straight and one in a cappuccino. Not bad but it had a bit of a burnt finish to it in the straight shot. Made a surprisingly decent cap though. I think this might make a good lungo shot. Probably will pick up a sleeve or two to play around with on my next order.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I just go for the Americano's these days which effectively extends the drinking time for me in the same sort of way.

Tried out 2 Indriya's again today - one straight and one in a cappuccino. Not bad but it had a bit of a burnt finish to it in the straight shot. Made a surprisingly decent cap though. I think this might make a good lungo shot. Probably will pick up a sleeve or two to play around with on my next order.

In addition to black and purple, I really like dark green (think it's Capriccio?). I've thought about making Americanos so that it lasts longer, but I worry that it'll just taste watered down.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably burn through about $20 a week through a mixture of brewing at home and buying coffee from local coffee shops ('cause they always make it better than me). Freshmen year though I had a pretty terrible habit, was up to maybe 6-9 shots a day spread out between 2-3 strong drinks. Cost me a small fortune but it sure did get me through the day with a lot more enthusiasm than lately.

But man, I dislike Americanos. If you want espresso, drink espresso. If you want to drink it slower, brew some really strong drip, and if you want a "drink" then get a latte. Americanos seem completely redundant to me.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
In addition to black and purple, I really like dark green (think it's Capriccio?). I've thought about making Americanos so that it lasts longer, but I worry that it'll just taste watered down.
Nothing below the gold (vivalto I think) really cuts it for me. They're just too weak.
Originally Posted by Lel
But man, I dislike Americanos. If you want espresso, drink espresso. If you want to drink it slower, brew some really strong drip, and if you want a "drink" then get a latte. Americanos seem completely redundant to me.
The Americano essentially functions as a cup of coffee. The caffeine content is essentially the same and it gives me a hot beverage that I can drink on the road/home without having to break out my french press.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can't believe you drink Americanos. I only order them when a place doesn't serve coffee and then I drink it with disdain. It's like a pale copy of coffee (granted, I would never choose an Americano if there was any other choice so maybe I just end up getting them from ****** places)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By Americano, you guys mean adding hot water to an espresso? Why do that with a Nespresso when you can just run the espresso into a lungo (or even a long lungo) ? It tasted better than adding straight water to it, if you want a large cup of coffee.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
By Americano, you guys mean adding hot water to an espresso? Why do that with a Nespresso when you can just run the espresso into a lungo (or even a long lungo) ? It tasted better than adding straight water to it, if you want a large cup of coffee.
I like the taste better running a regular shot of espresso (or two) and then adding hot water. I find that running the shot longer than it should gives the coffee a bitter taste. Also, to the point of drinking Americanos v. regular drip, To me, Americanos taste much smoother and stronger. Drip just tastes kind of muddy to me, even good drip coffee that is ground/roasted fresh and brewed hot enough.

Caesar Augustus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Just curious what you guys are spending on average? I just realized, via my latest Nespresso order, that I'm clocking in at about $3 per day.

Just to clarify - I'm talking about all coffee purchases. The stuff you buy for the house, the stuff you buy when you're on the road, the after dinner drinks, etc..

I know my girl spends about 4 dollars at Starbucks a day
bounce2.gif
! I am going to get her an expresso machine in hopes that it will curb this caffeinated money spending. I myself don't need coffee to stay awake; if anything it makes me tired. I do love the taste of a good coffee though.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Can't believe you drink Americanos. I only order them when a place doesn't serve coffee and then I drink it with disdain. It's like a pale copy of coffee (granted, I would never choose an Americano if there was any other choice so maybe I just end up getting them from ****** places)
For me its mostly about portability and the ability to get a hot beverage. I don't like tea so if I want something hot, as I like in the mornings and when I go to the gym, I make an Americano. Its quick, easy, and gets the job done. Is it the most awesome cup of coffee in the whole world, no. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yes, adding very hot water to shots of espresso. This pretty much sums it up:
Originally Posted by ama
I like the taste better running a regular shot of espresso (or two) and then adding hot water. I find that running the shot longer than it should gives the coffee a bitter taste. Also, to the point of drinking Americanos v. regular drip, To me, Americanos taste much smoother and stronger. Drip just tastes kind of muddy to me, even good drip coffee that is ground/roasted fresh and brewed hot enough.
Two other reasons: 1) Even if I ran two shots through the lungo it still wouldn't be that large of a cup of coffee. Plus, as ama said, I find it to be thin and bitter when "over-run". 2) I don't have to clean anything else/dump out grounds/make any other preparations. Just run some water in the electric kettle and bang out two shots.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, since this has turned into a Nespresso love thread, do you guys keep the factory setting for shot length? You know if you hold down the short/lungo button you can either extend or shorten the shot time. I've never really screwed with that myself but when I was talking to the Nespresso rep yesterday looking to get some Indriya samples, she told me that she likes to lengthen the standard shot and cut the difference between a regular and lungo shot.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
used to drink loads of coffee in coffe shops, but now with age, coffee-shop coffee for some reason tastes nasty. Instead I drink home-brewed green tea and use ny french press to make coffee in the morning. So, $10.00 a week for everything

mikeman

Reaction score
Maybe $1 a day, if that. I usually buy a pound of whole bean and use my french press. Not to get off of topic, but what do you guys think is the best coffee bean around?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeman
Maybe $1 a day, if that. I usually buy a pound of whole bean and use my french press. Not to get off of topic, but what do you guys think is the best coffee bean around?
That's like asking "What's the single best whiskey?". It's going to rely so much on personal tastes that it's pointless to ask. The bean matters, how you roast it matters, how you grind it matters... and all of those things are things for which there is no objective best. It's all personal taste.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Graceagrba