• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 4

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
Giving her the bonus at that time must've been the worse thing in the world - $100, maybe she was cheaper than the prostitute. I almost thought she was typing up her resignation letter at the end.

Betty was in barely a scene or two, which worked out quite well.

The scene fell flat for me. It was supposed to be a big moment, but I didn't feel the awkwardness or coldness. Maybe it was the editing or the acting, or my own weariness.

The story line with the creepy neighbor kid and sally seems pointless to me, and is an awful change of pace from the SCDP plots. Didn't like him in Season 1 either, but I suppose he was there to illustrate the immaturity or neediness of Betty.

The ep was saved by Roger. He gets great lines, and I liked how he ended up swallowing his pride to please the Lucky Strike client. (Which reminds me that I wish the writers bring back Sal.) I also liked how the client used the gift of the polaroid -- something that seemed to touch him -- to further demean Roger and exert his will over the firm.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the creepy kid is mat weiner's son - it even looks like him. most of the kids have been portrayed as precocious beings so why not bring back the creepy kid that the draper women seem to love (betty included).

Originally Posted by bcate3
The scene fell flat for me. It was supposed to be a big moment, but I didn't feel the awkwardness or coldness. Maybe it was the editing or the acting, or my own weariness.

The story line with the creepy neighbor kid and sally seems pointless to me, and is an awful change of pace from the SCDP plots. Didn't like him in Season 1 either, but I suppose he was there to illustrate the immaturity or neediness of Betty.

The ep was saved by Roger. He gets great lines, and I liked how he ended up swallowing his pride to please the Lucky Strike client. (Which reminds me that I wish the writers bring back Sal.) I also liked how the client used the gift of the polaroid -- something that seemed to touch him -- to further demean Roger and exert his will over the firm.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
The scene fell flat for me. It was supposed to be a big moment, but I didn’t feel the awkwardness or coldness. Maybe it was the editing or the acting, or my own weariness.

+1
Also, why was she dumb enough to be happy to see him the next morning?

Show is sucking right now.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
+1 Also, why was she dumb enough to be happy to see him the next morning? Show is sucking right now.
well i always remembered her as the most competent of "draper secretaries" jane halloway was only a temp for don. she really knew how to work for him and was on top of her game - so i guess the secretary was putting in all that effort and felt rewarded with "love realized" after the hookup - only to be actually rewarded with two $50s. typical female fail.

Drakkar Jaune

Reaction score
I thought it was strange and interesting that the 2 polaroids we saw Lee Garner taking were of men sitting on Santa's lap (Pete, who got up and ran away, and Harry who apologized...for his weight I imagine?).

This ep felt a little weird to me, I didn't like the panning/transitions so much...but it was pretty funny/sad to see the further decline of Don's power over women. As evidenced by his look at the end of the episode, it's not getting to be that fun anymore--although it could also be because he has now slept with a secretary, which he's never done. (Or a co-worker no less. Clients are fair game, obviously.)

Also can't tell if the kid playing Glenn (Matt Weiner's son) is a great actor or a natural creepazoid, but man does he make my skin crawl.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The return of Glenn is not a good sign. The Glenn plot in season 1 went absolutely nowhere and (arguably) shed no light on anything. I fear a repeat.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
don is entering dangerously into duchovny caricature territory.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't know that kid is Weiner's son. Then of course, I didn't know Jared Harris is Richard Harris' son.

So far, Ms. Holloway (Harris?) and Lane Pryce still have no plot development. And of course Cosgrove is still nowhere to be found. If he doesn't show up in the next episode, I have to wonder why his name is still in the credits - he'll have missed out on nearly 1/4 of the season.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I almost forget that it's coming on, on sunday nights mostly. That's how great it's been for me, this season.

chermy23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
Yeah I didn't know that kid is Weiner's son. Then of course, I didn't know Jared Harris is Richard Harris' son.

So far, Ms. Holloway (Harris?) and Lane Pryce still have no plot development. And of course Cosgrove is still nowhere to be found. If he doesn't show up in the next episode, I have to wonder why his name is still in the credits - he'll have missed out on nearly 1/4 of the season.

I thought I saw Cosgrove in the Conga line at the Christmas party... Not 100% sure though.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying this season. Last season annoyed me a lot. I have to say though, I was wondering about the ultimately end goal of the show. After last season, I thought it would be he would be found out as the fraud that he is, and we'd have 2 seasons of winding things down (he commits suicide in the end). But not so sure now...

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I almost forget that it's coming on, on sunday nights mostly. That's how great it's been for me, this season.

Isn't this season only two episodes old?

Hardly enough to judge one way or the other.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Sally losing her lisp?
frown.gif

The thing that bigs me about the new office is that it's hard to get any sense of geography. If I walked into the old SC office, I would know where everything was just by watching the show. I have no idea about this one however.

The market researcher telling Don he would be married in 1.5 years, foreshadowing?

Originally Posted by origenesprit
+1
Also, why was she dumb enough to be happy to see him the next morning?

No, I think it was appropriate of her. I couldn't imagine Don letting any of his former secretaries read his daughter's Xmas list. the setup for her disappointment went well.

I'm pretty sure that was her resignation she was typing up.

Originally Posted by Drakkar Jaune
I thought it was strange and interesting that the 2 polaroids we saw Lee Garner taking were of men sitting on Santa's lap (Pete, who got up and ran away, and Harry who apologized...for his weight I imagine?).

Also can't tell if the kid playing Glenn (Matt Weiner's son) is a great actor or a natural creepazoid, but man does he make my skin crawl.

Either works. I did enjoy his bit with Bettie in SE1. Two emotional black holes meet and really admire each other. I think Harry was apologizing because he knew Roger was being emasculated in front of everyone he had to play a part in it.

Roger will have a bone to pick with Glenn for not showing up to be Santa.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone else think there is going to be too much personal tension for SCDP to work? Rumson doesn't want Pete involved with the account, Roger probably still hates Don, Peggy is just pissed, Pryce never got along with anyone etc.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52