• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 4

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he didn't force them to hand out lucky strikes; they did that to suck up to him. he forced roger into the santa suit and the subsequent photo session.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
No comments on the arrogant bastard from Lucky Strike forcing Cooper into the Santa suit to hand out Lucky Strikes? Or his mention of Roger having another heart attack or has Weiner gotten all the play out of cardiac events he can?

It was a demeaning but clever insult at Roger. He previously asked Joan to wear the red dress that once caught the eye (and hands) of Lee Garner. She was reluctant, but wore it for the good of the firm. Poor effect this time since there was little interaction between the two. Instead, Garner bullied Roger into wearing the Santa suit. it looked for a moment that Roger would lose his sh!t but that would have been out of character for a smooth customer's man. So he wore it for the sake of the firm. Nice comeuppance. It's clever writing over small details that keeps me tuned in, but ultimately frustrated since the main themes are often handled with less finesse.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
It was a demeaning but clever insult at Roger. He previously asked Joan to wear the red dress that once caught the eye (and hands) of Lee Garner. She was reluctant, but wore it for the good of the firm. Poor effect this time since there was little interaction between the two. Instead, Garner bullied Roger into wearing the Santa suit. it looked for a moment that Roger would lose his sh!t but that would have been out of character for a smooth customer's man. So he wore it for the sake of the firm. Nice comeuppance. It's clever writing over small details that keeps me tuned in, but ultimately frustrated since the main themes are often handled with less finesse.

Nice catch. I didn't catch Joan's dress was for Garner, I thought Roger just got a boner from it.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They should've just wrapped Sal up in a bow for him.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just watched the ep. For a second I really thought that they were going to pan to the window the secretary was looking out and show her jumping out of it.

Another boring ep. The kids are the absolute worst part of this show.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
it looked for a moment that Roger would lose his sh!t but that would have been out of character for a smooth customer's man.

I think it had more to do with how Roger probably never had to submit to anyone in his life since he was always privileged. In previous seasons people were complaining about how he never seemed to do anything for the firm. He was also overlooked by the Brits and made the bitter comment "I'm being punished for making my job look easy."

I think Roger did it because SCDP is something he can call his own. He's willingly been more stressed out this season.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
They should've just wrapped Sal up in a bow for him.

Everyone loves Sal. I really cant believe he wont be back.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Everyone loves Sal. I really cant believe he wont be back.

He probably will, in some capacity. Weiner knows he's a well liked character.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I certainly hope so. He wasn't just likable; he was interesting, and had just offered a very salient* storyline possibility when he was written off (see my previous posts on the subject).

*no pun intended

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I think it had more to do with how Roger probably never had to submit to anyone in his life since he was always privileged. In previous seasons people were complaining about how he never seemed to do anything for the firm. He was also overlooked by the Brits and made the bitter comment "I'm being punished for making my job look easy."

I think Roger did it because SCDP is something he can call his own. He's willingly been more stressed out this season.

I also think Roger is now broke. The divorce, daughter's wedding, new wife...all cost him dearly.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I doubt he's broke. The sale to the British firm made Don a rich man. Roger owned more of the firm so cashed out more, plus he was rich to begin with. Plus divorce was less costly back then (I think).

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he did it because lucky strike is 80% (or whatever figure they named) of their business and losing them would be the end of it. nothing to do with him being broke, etc.

and, yes, he makes his job look easy because he doesn't do anything other than schmooze people.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I doubt he's broke. The sale to the British firm made Don a rich man. Roger owned more of the firm so cashed out more, plus he was rich to begin with. Plus divorce was less costly back then (I think).

Wasn't the reason Roger really wanted to make the sale due to the fact that he was low on funds?

That would imply that he has cash again (but the equity stake has been replaced with a basically worthless at present equity stake in SCDP)

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Drakkar Jaune
Found this very interesting blog that discusses among other things the style choices for each of the characters and how it might reflect their state of mind/personality/etc. Great vidcaps to illustrate their examples too.

http://projectrungay.blogspot.com/se...max-results=18

inlove.gif
Betty
inlove.gif

Mad%2BMen%3DMad%2BStyle%2BSeason%2B3%2BP2%2B1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads