• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do we exist in our own world?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
sat next to a middle aged guy eating pasta alone at an italian restaurant last Saturday or Sunday, he was wearing a pair of boxfresh APC NS's and likewise new pair of Alden Indys, he had a map like a tourist but he also was tapping away at a Blackberry, which cost about a grand over here, so I don't know if he was working or visiting. Either way, he was very styleforum, but I give everyone the benefit of the doubt as well.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I dunno who MarkMcNairy is...
+1. Me neither... To the OP, I've been very surprised with the lack of recognition of others in the same industry. A lot of people just stay within their narrow focus and don't really branch out. Sort of unrelated, but I'm continually amazed at Sales Associates at very high end stores or boutiques who don't even know other lines within their own company, or whatnot. I mean, they don't even bother to read up or learn about their OWN company? But, the thing is, for many a job is just a job. You leave it after you leave the office. For us, it's a hobby and we like knowing all sorts of random stuff.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be a juvenile's misplaced musing on ontology.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I thought this was going to be a minor's misplaced musing on ontology.

I actually did, too, and had some lovely snark all prepared.
lol8[1].gif
I shall have to use it elsewhere... perhaps on that "I'm leaving!" thread by Conne.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys who aren't familiar with Mr. McNairy obviously haven't been doing your patriotic duty and reading the front page of styleforum. You make baby Fok cry.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I met a men's shoe designer who works for a major company who claimed that he'd never heard of Mark McNairy. Is that possible? Do we live on a strange little style island?

I met a buyer for men's furnishings for a major luxury retailer who had never heard of C&J...
facepalm.gif

SeanH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
I really couldn't think of a polite way to say "those are absolutely without a doubt among the most awful things, not just shoes but things, I have ever had the severe misfortune to have beheld."

An ex-GF of mine was showing me a pair of those she bought for her husband and telling me how much he likes them. She was not amused when I asked if he actually wears them out, in public, where people can see.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, you SW&Ders do live in your own silly little world. But keep at it! Of course your limited edition hi-tops are worth $430.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much for the philosophical thread title. Got my hopes up. Though admittedly I was half expecting a
spam[1].gif
thread riddled with broken english in an attempt to plug 'the secret'.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Xenox, steady the fap hand, this thread ain't it.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
what bout ann d or dries ?

I was speaking from Jet's point of view, AFAIK he does not wear Ann. Good point about Dries, the stuff in his store in Antwerp is still really cool even when I don't particularly like the collections.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Yes, you SW&Ders do live in your own silly little world. But keep at it! Of course your limited edition hi-tops are worth $430.

The S&D world is stands so much outside of mainstream SF society that some dude like you even thinks they like limited edition sneakers and all that streetwear crap. Some of 'em go for luxury sneakers but that is different: the, say, $430 is retail price, just like some Hermes ties gor for $150 or whatever.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robpasco