• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do we exist in our own world?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
The S&D world is stands so much outside of mainstream SF society that some dude like you even thinks they like limited edition sneakers and all that streetwear crap. Some of 'em go for luxury sneakers but that is different: the, say, $430 is retail price, just like some Hermes ties gor for $150 or whatever.

I was just referring to that >$300 sneakers threak. About as stupid as spending $150 on a tie.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm retartar then cause I just read the thread title and see Lanvins in it so figured it was for $300 sneakers only. I was actually sad to see the title changed to that because I would really like some thread for non baller sneakers to take off.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I guess I'm retartar then cause I just read the thread title and see Lanvins in it so figured it was for $300 sneakers only. I was actually sad to see the title changed to that because I would really like some thread for non baller sneakers to take off.

it's a joke

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So not stupid at all?

The difference is that people who buy $150 ties can usually more than afford them. People who buy $300 sneakers usually are spending a lot more of their disposable income on that purchase than the former.

Yes, there are exceptions. I'm sure you will all be quick to point them out. But that is the rule.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
The difference is that people who buy $150 ties can usually more than afford them. People who buy $300 sneakers usually are spending a lot more of their disposable income on that purchase than the former.

Yes, there are exceptions. I'm sure you will all be quick to point them out. But that is the rule.

1) So?
2) have you ever heard of disposable income?

Basically people buying Toyotas are more stupid than people buying Porsches?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is Number One??

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even if what you're saying does work as a general rule, that only makes the purchase of the tie more valid on a personal level. That is, you want a tie, you can afford it, so you buy a good one. No harm done.

What about on a societal level? While it's always noble to support the artists and artisans who put time and design sensibilities into good ties and sneakers, there are people starving, destitute, etc. who could sure use the money you're blowing on a nice tie.

This isn't meant as a criticism of luxury goods, just a counterpoint to your idea that the only way to evaluate cost is as a proportion of available resources.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference is that people who buy $150 ties can usually more than afford them. People who buy $300 sneakers usually are spending a lot more of their disposable income on that purchase than the former. Yes, there are exceptions. I'm sure you will all be quick to point them out. But that is the rule.
ah i see. Being rich makes you prefer buying ties over sneakers. you're a genius.

bma

Reaction score
1) So?
2) have you ever heard of disposable income?

Basically people buying Toyotas are more stupid than people buying Porsches?

no, just more secure with themselves.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
ah i see. Being rich makes you prefer buying ties over sneakers.
you're a genius.

But it's true... unless you're a rapper or something, like if you're nouveau rich from a non-legitimate occupation. Metro is talking about BIGLAW big timers, because if you're not one of those you're not really worth talking to anyway so who cares if the generalization applies in any other case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads