• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pho, I'm addicted

track309

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
Pho 79 in Alhambra is my go to joint for pho. be happy to hear of any other recs in the San Gabriel Valley.

-Jeff

I ate at Pho Filet in El Monte, Ca (San Gabriel Valley) around this time last year. It was recommended by a local foodie in L.A that I know. It was quite good. They tout not having MSG....they should also tout that there's no A/C....hot as hell. Now I know what it feels like eating Pho on the streets of Vietnam.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good pho recipes? i assume the broth is the more difficult part. the one place that sells pho around here is really bad.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I make a simple variant at home pretty frequently.

Basically, I make it like any other clear broth, except dry-fry shallots and onions until golden brown prior to adding the water/bones/spices. I use a pre-mixed spice mix that I pick up in San Jose, though I imagine many Asian supermarkets will carry some. After boiling the bones for 2 hours with the spice mix, you add salt/consomme, filter out the bones, drop in the noodles and beef, and voila.

It's not pho, but it's fun.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I make a simple variant at home pretty frequently.

Basically, I make it like any other clear broth, except I dry-fry shallots and garlic until golden brown prior to adding the water/bones/spices. I use a pre-mixed spice mix that I pick up in San Jose, though I imagine many Asian supermarkets will carry something similar. After boiling the bones for 2 hours with the spice mix (in a tea bag), you add salt/consomme, filter out the bones, drop in the noodles and beef or meat of your choice, and voila.

It's not pho, but it's fun.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had pho weekly since I moved here 4 years ago. In fact, the viet place I usually go to was the very first restaurant I went to when my father was helping my girlfriend and I move in.

When we first moved, our server could not speak english. Now he can carry on a conversation. It might seem strange, but when I hear his voice, I am reminded of how long I have been here.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I have had pho weekly since I moved here 4 years ago. In fact, the viet place I usually go to was the very first restaurant I went to when my father was helping my girlfriend and I move in.

When we first moved, our server could not speak english. Now he can carry on a conversation. It might seem strange, but when I hear his voice, I am reminded of how long I have been here.

I have the same thing w/ my haircutter (he's Japanese) - 12 years or so, but seems to be stuck @ same level as when we met
frown.gif
He got his dog at the same time my kids were born, so we talk about that. Also, I ran into him once at a Sushi place, so we discuss this as well....
plain.gif

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the pho eaters... what do you do with the all the condiments? (hoisin sauce, bean sprouts, sriracha, lime, basil etc.,) what's considered 'traditional'?

I usually put basil and the bean sprouts into my soup then I make a hoisin/sriracha mix and I spoon a bit of broth into that to dilute the taste a little then I dip my meat in there... Sometimes when I'm up to it I squeeze some lime into my broth...

Amidoingitwrong?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm rather sure I do it wrong, I get a little bit of everything in my pho, but more hoisin and sriracha than others.

hansonho

Reaction score
i used to eat pho all the time until one day my friend who works at a pho place told me so many horrible stories like how they re use the pho...now i dont eat pho too and stay away from those sketchy places

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ended a tired travel, and had pho at my local place before resting at time. It's still such a refreshing, energizing experience. I hesitate to tell anyone, but I have an aprox $200 meal in Las Vegas with my gf and I, but on the way home we stopped at our local pho place, and my enjoyment was somewhat comparable, even at the price of $14. It really is comfort food.

theguy1429

Reaction score
Ever since I was introduced to Pho 3 years ago, I HAVE to have it at least once a week! It's just so delicious. Damn...now I want some!

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
For the pho eaters... what do you do with the all the condiments? (hoisin sauce, bean sprouts, sriracha, lime, basil etc.,) what's considered 'traditional'?

I usually put basil and the bean sprouts into my soup then I make a hoisin/sriracha mix and I spoon a bit of broth into that to dilute the taste a little then I dip my meat in there... Sometimes when I'm up to it I squeeze some lime into my broth...

Amidoingitwrong?

Pho, as traditionally designed and still served this way in Hanoi and other Northern areas of Vietnam, only comes with lime and pepper (occasionally in sauce form, but still homemade).

Sriracha is, after all, an American invention. Cool story though.

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
One of the places in the Dallas area has a home made satay sauce.. spicy.. I like throwing in... with hoison, fish oil, chili sauce.. squeeze a lime slice... tear up the basil and add..

Great comfort food...

Great.. uh.. cleansing food!

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of hoisin, but I do like sriracha to dip the meats in. I try not to put it in the broth to avoid overpowering it. I will crush some chilies into it, and if not spicy enough I will then add some of that chili oil.

How are you supposed to eat the whole peppers, they are far to spicy to simply bite into, but at the same time if you don't then you don't get any of the spice and it's just there for decor.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member