• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pho, I'm addicted

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DNW
That's good **** too, but there has to be a chunk of pork leg in there. I like them all, but my favorite has to be Mi Quang. It's so hard to find a place that does it well.

I like it with pork blood but few places here add that, I find. It is pretty common for the pork hock in there, though luckily.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because of this thread, I decided to get pho for lunch.
bigstar[1].gif

XeF4

Reaction score
If you are ever in San Jose go to Pho #1 on the corner of Silver Creek and Capitol Expressway.

Best in the south bay.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DNW
That's good **** too, but there has to be a chunk of pork leg in there. I like them all, but my favorite has to be Mi Quang. It's so hard to find a place that does it well.

have to agree here, i've had such a craving for mi, but so much easier to find pho

Astan

Reaction score
I hate pho. thats all i have to contribute.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Pho, as traditionally designed and still served this way in Hanoi and other Northern areas of Vietnam, only comes with lime and pepper (occasionally in sauce form, but still homemade).

in the south we have a word for that.

'bland'

don't forget the MSG though....you bac ky load it with that crap.

Originally Posted by poly800rock
it is. but the broth should basically be boiling when you first get it.

NOTHING is more vietnamese than waking up at 6am and eating a bowl of pho on the side of the road.

how about sitting on my motorbike, picking your zits in my rear vision mirror while harassing tourists?

but i digress..

^ Perhaps only "authentic" in fancier restaurants, then again, fancy places in Vietnam don't serve Pho, in general. Maybe at gentrified chain like Pho 24, but you'd have to ask for it.

Can't say I had beef served on the side in the 17 years I ate in all corners of Hanoi.
confused.gif

I have never seen it served on the side, even in the gentrified pho 24 next to my office. If you asked for it, they'd do it....kinda look at you funny....but do it nonetheless.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
in the south we have a word for that.

'bland'

don't forget the MSG though....you bac ky load it with that crap.

Haha I knew how you feel about the foods. Northern foods are generally more "authentic" though, whatever that means.

The best Mi QuangI've had is in Da Nang, Hue or Nha Trang. I haven't spent enough time in SG to find decent ones there. Done well, it's fantastic.
drool.gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Haha I knew how you feel about the foods. Northern foods are generally more "authentic" though, whatever that means.
it means they extract all flavor before serving

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it too. We have a great place in my hometown with authentic Hmong cooking. Yummy...

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how do you actually pronounce it? I've just been saying "I'll take the number one".

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
So how do you actually pronounce it? I've just been saying "I'll take the number one".
the nearest you can English-it-out is 'fur' basically the Vietnamese alphabet has three different O-s. Pho uses 'ơ' which is basically pronounced as an 'errr'

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
the nearest you can English-it-out is 'fur'

basically the Vietnamese alphabet has three different O-s.

Pho uses 'ơ' which is basically pronounced as an 'errr'

Really? I always thought it was more like "fuh".

How do you prononce Bun bo hue? I always sound like an idiot saying it and end up saying the number.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads