• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pho, I'm addicted

crimpologist

Reaction score
^ I am also not a huge fan of the hoisin sauce, but everything else is good. One of the best things to eat is the pho with beef balls, steak slices and tripe with the sriracha, lime, chillis, bean sprouts and Asian basil. Getting hungry just thinking about it. Another good soup that they serve at most pho restaurants is the bun bo Hue.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, you bite into them, at least that's what i do. or used to be able to do.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa an 8 page thread about Pho. I never would have guessed it.

But yeah, it's awesome. There is a Vietnamese restaurant my friend got me going to, and it's so good, with really fresh ingredients in everything. When I first found the place I had the Pho Tai 4 days in a row. They have a home-made chili sauce I like to add, which is so so good. It's nice if you order something strange, or not typical for an American to get, the chef (who is also the owner) will come out to your table and explain basically how to eat it properly like it would be done in Vietnam.

This thread makes me want to go get some for lunch today.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when I was first introduced to Pho I used to throw a whole bunch of Sriracha into the soup, making it beet red.

Now I just dip the meat in a sriracha/hoisin sauce mix.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i had this the other day tai chin nam with tai on the side (only way i roll nowadays) and a soda chanh.
4474317852_b28f43d7db.jpg
so good

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend said that Tai on the side is supposedly the authentic way to go. Is this true? I would think that after a bit it wouldn't cook fully as the broth cools down.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
My friend said that Tai on the side is supposedly the authentic way to go. Is this true? I would think that after a bit it wouldn't cook fully as the broth cools down.

it is. but the broth should basically be boiling when you first get it.

NOTHING is more vietnamese than waking up at 6am and eating a bowl of pho on the side of the road.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Perhaps only "authentic" in fancier restaurants, then again, fancy places in Vietnam don't serve Pho, in general. Maybe at gentrified chain like Pho 24, but you'd have to ask for it.

Can't say I had beef served on the side in the 17 years I ate in all corners of Hanoi.
confused.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i had this the other day
tai chin nam with tai on the side (only way i roll nowadays)
and a soda chanh.

4474317852_b28f43d7db.jpg

so good

is that raw chicken?

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^ Perhaps only "authentic" in fancier restaurants, then again, fancy places in Vietnam don't serve Pho, in general. Maybe at gentrified chain like Pho 24, but you'd have to ask for it.

Can't say I had beef served on the side in the 17 years I ate in all corners of Hanoi.
confused.gif

might be more a southern thing.
i only had pho a few times in hanoi, bun cha is where it's at.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
might be more a southern thing.
i only had pho a few times in hanoi, bun cha is where it's at.

Try Cha Ca La Vong when you get a chance. The place (they opened one in SG too, but I like the original better) is an insitution, and as such touristy as hell. The grilled fish is mmhhhmmm.. tasty tho.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Bun Bo Hue? Love that ****, sometimes I crave it more than Pho.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
What about Bun Bo Hue? Love that ****, sometimes I crave it more than Pho.

That's good **** too, but there has to be a chunk of pork leg in there. I like them all, but my favorite has to be Mi Quang. It's so hard to find a place that does it well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads