• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bar Etiquette:

insomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
What's your point? This situation is set in Britain. K
if this is brit etiquette, why does he feel bad? also it's money... i'd rather be offended and have more money than be offended someone didn't tip me. this is why i found brits visiting the states to be ass backwards. servers don't make anything here, it's based on tips, but still... we tip our doorman. we tip someone that carries our luggage, our barber, the cab driver... etc etc.. it's not mandatory but it shows you appreciate them. we don't have this conundrum in the u.s. so i dunno'..

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tip in the UK.

I know it's annoying, and ridiculous, but think of it not as a tip, but a bribe.
Good tipping and regular patronage usually leads to better pours, top shelf upgrades and free drinks.

rzarector36

Reaction score
I'm an American (who bartended and waited tables through university), I live in England now.

You sound like a **** who knows nothing about other cultures or the outside world. It also appears that you are uneducated.

You will do well in the world.

K

oh yeah, forgot you knew so much about me..................................
lol8[1].gif

rzarector36

Reaction score
Originally Posted by insomb
if this is brit etiquette, why does he feel bad? also it's money... i'd rather be offended and have more money than be offended someone didn't tip me. this is why i found brits visiting the states to be ass backwards. servers don't make anything here, it's based on tips, but still... we tip our doorman. we tip someone that carries our luggage, our barber, the cab driver... etc etc.. it's not mandatory but it shows you appreciate them. we don't have this conundrum in the u.s. so i dunno'..

yeah i understand its normal to not really tip in most european countries, but if the situation took place in the US then yes you need to tip.

i tip my friends at the restaurant i work in even when they dont do anything. if i have something i ate under their number, i will tip them for it b/c they have to tip out (bartender, busser) for the sales they had

insomb

Reaction score
i can also see why he wouldn't want to if it was against the norm, kinda' like creepy or something... all i'm is why does he feel bad then? do you guy's have an emily post's etiquette book there or something like that?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
i can respect differetn customs, but why the 20% surcharge for only taking a top of a bottle ad pourit into a glass. a cocktail i may understand, but the surcharge of 205 for 25 seconds of work?

I trust me, I think it's ridiculous. Totally unwarranted tip.
Tipping bartenders is basically a form of "white welfare"

Masshole

Reaction score
Yea, so I would normally tack on a $1+ in the US for a beer for tip, but in the UK you wouldn't

I may offer to "buy" the bartender a drink every few rounds which they can take in drink or in cash, but a US style tip would be not be appropriate in most places.

K

Not appropriate is right, First time in London, I bought a round of pints and left a couple pounds on the bar. The guy standing next to me at the bar grabed the coins and gave it back to me like the world was going to end. Told me it was insulting to leave a tip if you go to the bar and order yourself. Thought it was very strange.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Masshole
Not appropriate is right, First time in London, I bought a round of pints and left a couple pounds on the bar. The guy standing next to me at the bar grabed the coins and gave it back to me like the world was going to end. Told me it was insulting to leave a tip if you go to the bar and order yourself. Thought it was very strange.

Several London barmen have politely & discretely (but firmly) told me that you do not tip. You can offer to buy them a drink, but do not leave $ on the bar. Also, the US custom of leaving your change in a big wet puddle on the bar and paying for subsequesnt rounds by pointing to the pile is also frowned upon. Pay for your drink and pocket your change. Certainly do not leave change on the bar when you go off to the bog....

matt22616

Reaction score
I feel like every time a similar situation has gone down with me in the US, the bartender/waiter/friend will undercharge the meal/drink and then you tip them a higher percentage. In the end, your bill is lower and the bartender has more money. Win win.

If she didn't give you a discount of any kind why would you not just apply normal UK rules of etiquette? Because he/she is a friend of your friend? That shouldn't be a factor unless there's a discount involved. Right?

EDIT: In the US, the normal etiquette if the friend didn't discount would be to tip normally, plus a little extra to make it known that next time it'll be in best interest to discount.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rzarector36
oh yeah, forgot you knew so much about me..................................
lol8[1].gif

I don't know much, but I know you're a **** (that doesn't know the difference between your and you're).

And that may be all I need to know...

K

rzarector36

Reaction score
I don't know much, but I know you're a **** (that doesn't know the difference between your and you're).

And that may be all I need to know...

K

get off *******. im on a ******* forum, i dont need to make sure my grammar is correct

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rzarector36
get off *******. im on a ******* forum, i dont need to make sure my grammar is correct

I'm is a contraction of I am and therefore requires an apostrophe.

dropout5

Reaction score
i have friends who have worked in bars/restaurants before and they generally have told me to always try to tip because they view it as rude not to at least offer, but if it's from a good friend, the bartender will usually politely refuse. i think that's a good rule of thumb.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
So, you find a girl who takes you to meet her best friend who tends bar. You order a bottle of wine and pay with a £50 note. Do you tip?!

Ordinarily I would say keep the change, but how can you hand over extra cash to her best friend, essentially saying "You earn minimum wage so probably need a tip."

I feel bad for not tipping, but you're standing there chatting as friends, and its like pointing out that she's there to serve you, rather than because we wanted her company.

Advice from older, more suave SF-ers? etiquette

Depends. Are you about to break up with her so you can focus on your career?

rzarector36

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I'm is a contraction of I am and therefore requires an apostrophe.
i should have used one in dont as well, but ITS NOT ******* IMPORTANT

this is a forum

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52