• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Audi R8

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A vehicle that is well balanced and that handles well in the dry will also handle well in the snow with appropriate tyres. The only real concern will be ride height, frankly. At which point you best wait for the snow plough
wink.gif

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go for it if you feel like you can afford it, and justify it. But please don't consider it an investment of any sort. there is not way you are going to come close to breaking even.

ninetofivereject

Reaction score
may i ask what you do for a living to afford 130k car at 22,im 35 and the best i could do so far is a Volvo.
or are you a trust fund kid.
if you feel this is none of my business feel free to tell me to **** off,just asking coz im curious

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I love Audis (there are 4 in our family ranging from TT to RS6) for that price I would buy an Aston Martin.

The Heritage, the fact they are hand made, the class. It stacks up and personally I view it like a choice of clothes. The Audi is a Gucci suit; slick, designer and everyone wants it. An Aston is a Brioni Bespoke; it has class, elegance and in 25 years time it'll still be classy and elegant.

Having said that, I'd give my left (and right depending on the offers) testicle to own an R8 or an Aston.

If you're worried about usability see if you can cut a deal to get one for 7 days as a trial. Commute a few times and you'll soon know what the score is!

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read some long-term tests on the R8, and snow (provided you're not plowing through inches of it) won't be a problem. Just get proper tires and enjoy making rooster-tails.

I'd be nervous of using it as a daily driver, though. Some idiot will put a ding into it soon enough, and you'll probably rash the wheels within a month.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got a ballpark quote and it seems like it would be 3-3,500 a year for insurance.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NVM that's for 6 months. Forget that. Maybe different with other companies though.

epb

Reaction score
I like the R8, but I'm with the others - if you're planning to daily drive the thing, I'd suggest an E92 M3 or Porsche 997 (maybe C4). The BMW would be more practical, and the Porsche would handle inclement weather better thanks to the rear weight bias. I saw a C4S chugging along in Chicago's snow storm just yesterday, in fact.

For myself, I've got no bias against 4-season driving as a rule, but if you've got a low front end you're just abusing the car. I got tired of beating the crap out of my M Coupe's nose with large chunks of ice from other cars, potholes deeper than my ride height, etc.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
I saw a C4S chugging along in Chicago's snow storm just yesterday, in fact.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Originally Posted by epb
For myself, I've got no bias against 4-season driving as a rule, but if you've got a low front end you're just abusing the car. I got tired of beating the crap out of my M Coupe's nose with large chunks of ice from other cars, potholes deeper than my ride height, etc.
Same here, but as stated the problem is snow depth, snow chunks, and potholes. When the snow depth is 6-8 inches or more then it's time for the SUV; otherwise, one has to stay vigilant of potholes and snow chunks. I'm more concerned about potholes than anything else, I dodged a huge one this morning that would have blown the tires on my SUV.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well like I said, looks like insurance will be 6k a year and I can't justify that so I'm going to put the R8 on the backburners I think.

satorstyle

Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way but if you can afford a + 100k car, high insurance and maintenance are just part of it. Now mind you I pay about that amount for 5 vehicles, but one is an R8. I'm certainly not in my twenty's though. I learned early on you have to pay to play.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
As much as I love Audis (there are 4 in our family ranging from TT to RS6) for that price I would buy an Aston Martin.

The Heritage, the fact they are hand made, the class. It stacks up and personally I view it like a choice of clothes. The Audi is a Gucci suit; slick, designer and everyone wants it. An Aston is a Brioni Bespoke; it has class, elegance and in 25 years time it'll still be classy and elegant.

Having said that, I'd give my left (and right depending on the offers) testicle to own an R8 or an Aston.

If you're worried about usability see if you can cut a deal to get one for 7 days as a trial. Commute a few times and you'll soon know what the score is!

I'm not sure I want much of a car to be "hand made." Ever watch a Lamborghini or Ferrari being made? Even in those cases, very little is done by hand. You just have more people operating more complicated machinery more closely and with more care.

At any rate, I'd pick an R8 over any Aston other than, maybe, the Vantage. It has awesome performance, a unique and modern style, it's much more practical, and costs less. What's not to like?

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
Don't take this the wrong way but if you can afford a + 100k car, high insurance and maintenance are just part of it. Now mind you I pay about that amount for 5 vehicles, but one is an R8. I'm certainly not in my twenty's though. I learned early on you have to pay to play.

I understand that but 6k a year for insurance seems a little crazy to me. I know it's part of it but 500 a month? If it were 3k a year I could see that. Again this was just a ballpark from Allstate though. May be different with other companies.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm not sure I want much of a car to be "hand made." Ever watch a Lamborghini or Ferrari being made? Even in those cases, very little is done by hand. You just have more people operating more complicated machinery more closely and with more care.

At any rate, I'd pick an R8 over any Aston other than, maybe, the Vantage. It has awesome performance, a unique and modern style, it's much more practical, and costs less. What's not to like?

I agree with the hand-made part. I don't want any machinery I own to be hand-made. I want consistency, which machine mass-production is damn good at accomplishing. "Hand-made" in terms of cars is another excuse for poor reliability and inconsistent quality.

But they can do the other stuff by hand, like the leather and all the frills. Just not the electrics or driveline, and especially not the engine unless they go through a trillion quality checks.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulioCesarSalad