• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foods headed for Extinction

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
My Italian Grandmother always had canned Smoked Oysters out whenever there were family holiday parties and it became somewhat a tradition on that side of the family. Until I read the few posts on here I have never met anyone outside of my Father's family that enjoys (or even tried) Smoked Oysters. Is this some kind of regional thing? In the Pac NW everyone thought I was crazy for eating them.
You know what, I have no idea. My fathers side of the family is a mix of different European races (English and German are the two I know for sure but there's quite a few others mixed in). I eat so many different kinds of food that none of my friends/family have ever eaten.
Originally Posted by Dburr
Posole is my favorite peasant food. Not exotic enough for you?
A good bowl of posole is something to be cherished.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My dad loves chicken gizzards, and especially hearts. We grew up eating fried gizzards, they were rubbery but didn't taste all that bad. I don't think my mom ever had the, umm, heart to serve hearts to my brother and me. My usual grocery is a big Korean-owned market that has all these delectables in quantity, however, so I can try them someday if the mood strikes me.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Posole was only ate on special occasions, and mostly royalty NOT peasants would feast on it.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
It's not only legislation, but it's also animal rights folks. Apparently, they have been such assholes to some fine eating establishments, that the owners simply stopped serving it to avoid the bullshit. Charley Palmer's place, in Healdsburg, is just one example. I don't think it is going to take legislation, just the concerted idiocy of a bunch of people that should be out going to school or earning a living vs. what someone wants to eat.

It is almost certainly going away soon. The animal rights people are always harping on it, and it's one of those foods associated with "snobby rich people" so it'll be a nice appeal to populism to outlaw it.

It's a real shame because it is absolutely delicious.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with food, and probably with other things, but food is what i know best, it's important to separate quality and fashion. food of quality can be fashionable, but maybe not. and fashionable food can have quality, but maybe not. sometimes foods become fashionable for reasons that have no relation to flavor. when socal was going through its "trattoria-er than thou" phase, I used to joke that one day some restaurant on Melrose would charge $25 for a bowl of acorn polenta (hey, it's tuscan, even if it was something that was only eaten to avoid starvation). i don't know that that ever happened.
i think the whole "nose-to-tail" thing is on the whole a good thing. but there is a certain percentage of people for whom it is nothing but gastronomic thrill-seeking. we'll just ignore them and focus on good souls like our own pio.
re: sardines, no, don't use canned for the en saor.
re: oysters ... yup, smoked oysters are a great holiday treat at my dad's house. and pickled herring!
and what about canned foods in general? the american attitude is very, very different than the spanish. check out a good spanish market and you'll find all kinds of great canned fish -- ventresca (tuna belly) is just one. these are old methods of preserving that have just been updated in packaging. to ignore them because of hte box is pretentious.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swan's ovaries

Still trying to find bottarga in my local Italian supermarket.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
di tonno or di muggine?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
Swan's ovaries

I've only ever seen it in Pescara. Some foods aren't distributed outside their point of origin because of national and EU import/export laws.

Edit: There's some variety on Amazon, but I don't trust mullet that didn't just come from the water...

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if anyone is serious about getting bottarga, gustiamo is a good source. they have both tuna and mullet. there is some variability, but it is a dried preserved product (roe), so it shouldn't be that big a factor if you're buying from a reputable source. but wow is it expensive.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
You just can't find good lark's-tongue-in-aspic anymore.

The Lucky Pork Store is quite near where I live, and I always get a laugh out of the name. I think of it as the Not-So-Lucky Pork Store.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
It is almost certainly going away soon. The animal rights people are always harping on it, and it's one of those foods associated with "snobby rich people" so it'll be a nice appeal to populism to outlaw it.

It's a real shame because it is absolutely delicious.

I really don't think they'll need to even outlaw it. They are having great success at just making it not worth the trouble for good eateries to carry it. That will make farming it less profitable and then they will attack the weakened farms, so it won't be availabe to the private buyer either. I foresee a market in importing French foie in the next 15 years.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I really don't think they'll need to even outlaw it. They are having great success at just making it not worth the trouble for good eateries to carry it. That will make farming it less profitable and then they will attack the weakened farms, so it won't be availabe to the private buyer either. I foresee a market in importing French foie in the next 15 years.

sadly, production is under pressure here in europe as well..

another foodstuff that might disappear is freshwater eel. Tremendous pressure on the species because of fishing, and farming them only made it worse. There is a light at the end though, ive heard about some lab around these parts that has succesfully made the eels spawn. Which might be the beginning of a whole new industry.

BP348

Reaction score

I like Posole & Menudo.

As far as gizzards go, down here in South Texas they are very common.

I only tried Foie once several years ago...Nasty!!!!

But I don't like anything that's an organ, Liver, kidneys ect...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
selwane33