• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of DC Steakhouses

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I always enjoyed the steaks at Mon Ami Gabi in Bethesda when I lived in the area.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I always enjoyed the steaks at Mon Ami Gabi in Bethesda when I lived in the area.

There are plenty of restaurants in the area that serve a good steak, but Sietsema's review was specific to steakhouses. He was reviewing the whole steakhouse experience, which is not something you get at a place like Mon Ami Gabi.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I didn't read the original article, but makes sense.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
i had one of the best meals of my life at ray's. was me and about 8 other guys (maybe more?), and we showed up without a reservation on a busy night and they were absolutely wonderful to us. we drank a bottle of wine while waiting for a table, the service was excellent, the food was amazing and i thought the sides were actually pretty good.

AldenPyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best thing about the decor at The Prime Rib is that every time I go there the exact same 3 or 4 guys are sitting at the bar, looking like central casting big city East Coast Irish machine politicians.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i had one of the best meals of my life at ray's. was me and about 8 other guys (maybe more?), and we showed up without a reservation on a busy night and they were absolutely wonderful to us. we drank a bottle of wine while waiting for a table, the service was excellent, the food was amazing and i thought the sides were actually pretty good.

The service is laid back, but always very good. I've had friends unsure about a drink order. They have always brought out the drink and said, "If you don't like it, we'll take it back and bring you something else." Nothing crazy, but just very friendly.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also prefer Ray's because its not a chain like Morton's, Palm, Charlie Palmer or Ruth Chris.

Has anyone been to David Burke's Primehouse in Chicago? I went there last spring and had the Wagyu Beef Sashimi appetizer and the 55 day dry aged beef ribeye and it was out of this world!!

Primehouse

I also went to Gene and Georgetti's and Gibson's and they could not touch Primehouse.

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
also the prime rib is .. interesting. i've never been to the one in DC, but the one in baltimore is a weird mix of prompted nostalgia and cringe inducing pompousness.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Tom Sietsema reviews the best places to go when you want memorable meat"

Edina's bedroom.

I liked Capital Grille a bunch. Celebrated my 21st there with my dad.

Subtleyjewish

Reaction score
I feel obligated to give a nod to the two more notable chains, The Capital Grille and Mortons, although the Grille is definitely better. That being said, as a Potomac boy, I'll always swear by the steaks at Avenel and Congressional.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads