Review of DC Steakhouses

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by FLMountainMan, Jul 8, 2012.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...ence-elusive/2012/06/28/gJQAyW1qKW_story.html

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

Sietsema is actually a very good reviewer of restaurants. And, having been on the DC steakhouse circuit a few times, I can't say I disagree with him. Most of the meat is mediocre or poorly cooked. The chains really don't perform well, outside of the Palm. Charlie Palmer's service is terrible and so are the acoustics. Only the wine makes the place tolerable. Ruth's Chris is really up and down in terms of both meat quality and cook to order. Morton's is adequate. I don't like how BLT chars the meat on the outside - but that's personal taste. Capital Grille is meh. The Caucus Room is pretty solid all the way around.

I actually haven't been to Bourbon Steak, so I can't say if it's the best, but maybe it is.

DC's best steak is probably at Central, when one's on the menu there. But, even Central has fallen off a bit, as most places do after several years. Then again, you don't go to Central for the steak. But, if you're there and in the mood for a hunk of beef, go for it.

DC's best restaurants aren't steakhouses. There's plenty of top notch places to eat- some just outside the city like Restaurant Eve (specifically he tasting room). Fish shines in DC too. But, for steak, mostly it's mediocre, just as the review states.

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Not sure what's "pretentious" about his writing?

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'll agree with him on the bread at Burbon Steak. Its like the next level of the Red Lobster rolls.

5. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

Restaurant Eve is fantastic. The tasting room was one of the most enjoyable meals I've ever had -- not just for the food, but for the leisurely pace, excellent service, and ambience. One of the few things I miss about living in DC.

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Do any of the DC steakhouses cut your steak for you, so that you can have a mommy experience?

I'm talking bite sized pieces.

Just to be clear, I'm talking normal mommy, not the kind who chews the pieces for you.

Thanks. Haven't been to DC in a few months.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  7. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

For the ambience, how was the air scented?

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

White people tend to smell like cheese to foreign noses.

9. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I've always enjoyed Tom Sietsema's writing, so this article didn't bother me. Perhaps I've just become familiar with his style. DC actually has some very good food writers, including Sietsema, Tim Carman, and Todd Kliman.

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Liked the review and Sietsima's writing...

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Bourbon Steak, at least at its home base, is fucking awful. I'm generally a really easy customer to please, but it is an abomination. It's adorable that he wrote that his steak was poached in butter before it was grilled. I wonder if he means it.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I want my steak boiled then deep fried.

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I have been to many steakhouses in the DC area (Smith & Wollensky, Sam and Harry's, Bobby Van's, BLT Steak, Capital Grille, Charlie Palmer). I haven't found one to be noticeably better or worse than the others.

14. Cuttingboard

Cuttingboard Senior member

DC not really known for its steakhouses but if I want a good steak, I go to Ray's the Steaks in Arlington. For DC proper, I like the Porterhouse at Bobby Van's original location.

15. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I do the same. The steaks at Ray's are pretty much just as good as most of the other steak houses in the city, but they are half the price. The sides are kinda blah, but you also get them for free. You don't get the steak house experience, whatever that really is, but when I'm with a group of friends, I think I prefer the vibe at Ray's. I don't know enough about wine to comment on the selection, but I know they hired Michel Richard's sommelier. The wine program at Citronelle won a James Beard award under him, and he focuses on real values:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/05/AR2009050500851.html
    For a wine novice like me, it's more pleasurable knowing I'm getting a good wine, instead of getting gouged. I just don't see the need to go anywhere else for steak in D.C., unless someone else is paying.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012